Lee Hunter

eulessau

3 minutes ago, eulessau said:

SIAP but what is the status of Lee.  Didn’t look like he played.  Is he hurt or sick?

Harsin addressed the young d linemen a few days ago and said they were all just learning the ropes freshman need to know: workouts, conditioning, academics, etc… And they are behind a lot of veterans. I’m pretty sure LH is not injured or sick. 

how many true freshmen got snaps on Saturday?  Hunter and anyone else?  

For a true freshman defensive lineman to earn reps in the first game where everyone in front of him performed well is tough.

Here's an article that I hope answers your question about Hunter and the other freshman lineman.

No youth movement yet on Auburn's defensive line

ByMARK MURPHY Sep 6, 6:12 PM

AUBURN, Alabama–Although plenty of backups saw action in Auburn’s season-opening 60-10 football victory over the Akron Zips, noticeably missing from the action were all five of the true freshmen defensive linemen.

Two defensive line members of the signee class saw extensive action with sophomore transfer Marcus Harris starting at tackle and graduate transfer Tony Fair getting substantial playing time at noseguard. Another transfer, Eku Leota, saw action as an edge rusher and made a sack in his Auburn debut.

The freshman group of Dylan Brooks, Lee Hunter, Ian Mathews, Tobechi Okoli and Marquis Robinson watched the action from the sideline. Asked if any of those five players will see game action during the 2021 season, Coach Bryan Harsin said, “Some of those D-linemen, I am sure they will.

“You still have, you go back to that rule, the redshirt rule, you have the four games, so we are aware of that,” Harsin pointed out. (Players can play a maximum of four games for the 2021 season without losing a season of eligibility as a redshirt if they haven’t previously redshirted.)

“We pay attention to who goes in and where we are with that situation, but obviously some of those young players will have a chance to play,” Harsin said.

“O-line and D-line, young players are still developing, still lifting, still doing all the things that they need to be doing in order to get themselves prepared to go play at that level so at some point I am sure we will see them,” Auburn’s first-year head coach added.

The Tigers only signed two offensive linemen in the 2021 class and both are true freshmen. Neither Garner Langlo, who is 6-5, 277 pounds from Catholic High School in Ocala, Fla,, nor 6-8, 314 Colby Smith from Rockingham County High in Reidsville, N.C., played in the opener.

Edited by Paladin
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Paladin said:

We pay attention to who goes in and where we are with that situation,

That was a cold dig at the previous coaching staff who obviously did not pay attention to that situation.  😬

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

“You still have, you go back to that rule, the redshirt rule, you have the four games, so we are aware of that,” Harsin pointed out. (Players can play a maximum of four games for the 2021 season without losing a season of eligibility as a redshirt if they haven’t previously redshirted.)

This is also very important. Hoping this staff has a handle on it.

2 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

That was a cold dig at the previous coaching staff who obviously did not pay attention to that situation.  😬

I still can't believe the previous coaching staff accidentally used a redshirt year of a player and did not know about it until the players parents asked about it. And now we are all just "hoping" this coaching staff is able to manage basic things like a players playing time and eligibility. The things that some fan bases get to take for granted.  😟

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Yep, that was a "We aren't stupid like the previous staff" without actually saying it.

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, auburnphan said:

how many true freshmen got snaps on Saturday?  Hunter and anyone else?  

Sean Jackson the walk on RB, and Landen King the TE

• Like 1

Appreciate the responses.  Does anyone know if the coaches believe he is progressing well?  Do they think he will be a key contributer this season or in the near future?

15 hours ago, gravejd said:

I still can't believe the previous coaching staff accidentally used a redshirt year of a player and did not know about it until the players parents asked about it. And now we are all just "hoping" this coaching staff is able to manage basic things like a players playing time and eligibility. The things that some fan bases get to take for granted.  😟

I didn't believe it then and I still don't believe it. Redshirts are normally used for players that show some promise. That guy was the 5th string running back and his parent was a PITA. I think it was a back-handed way to move him out.

He left here and went through a spring training at Miami, after which he was running 5th string there. So he left Miami for Memphis, where he had to sit out a year. His second year there he moved all the way up to 3rd string. This season he's listed as second string on the Memphis depth chart behind another redshirt junior.  Maybe he'll finally be a starter one day, if someone ahead of him gets injured. I don't think anybody at AU was saddened to see him and his entourage head out of town.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

I didn't believe it then and I still don't believe it. Redshirts are normally used for players that show some promise. That guy was the 5th string running back and his parent was a PITA. I think it was a back-handed way to move him out.

He left here and went through a spring training at Miami, after which he was running 5th string there. So he left Miami for Memphis, where he had to sit out a year. His second year there he moved all the way up to 3rd string. This season he's listed as second string on the Memphis depth chart behind another redshirt junior.  Maybe he'll finally be a starter one day, if someone ahead of him gets injured. I don't think anybody at AU was saddened to see him and his entourage head out of town.

You could be right, it was either incompetence or a really crappy way to treat a player. Either way I think it looks pretty bad on the coaching staff....not sure which i would consider a worse look to be honest. But if they had decided half way into this kids freshmen season that he wasn't going to help the team and they wanted to get rid of him, i can think of much better ways to handle that situation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

My take was just a massive mistake. If they wanted him gone, much better ways. This may have cost them other recruits and made them rightfully look foolish. I don’t believe it was a Malzahn mistake but he definitely should have handled it differently.

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

You could be right, it was either incompetence or a really crappy way to treat a player. Either way I think it looks pretty bad on the coaching staff....not sure which i would consider a worse look to be honest. But if they had decided half way into this kids freshmen season that he wasn't going to help the team and they wanted to get rid of him, i can think of much better ways to handle that situation. 

I can too, there's no doubting that. I'd still like to know all the circumstances surrounding that incident but that's something that is unlikely to become public knowledge.