“Show up, give a s*** and repeat.”

SRBautigerfan

2 minutes ago, cbo said:

It's settled, I'll have to try the screen. I've made some good pizzas, but never great.

I like the same type of sauce as you. Your wife might also like Rao's pizza sauce. Everything I've tried by them is good. I am normally a huge believer in a homemade marinara (ex of when a shortcut is not worth it to me). But in a pinch, Rao's is as close to homemade as I have ever had in a jar. 

I've been told the pre-rolled dough at Publix is shipped to the store frozen, while the balls are made on site. I do taste a little difference and prefer the dough balls. Again, a convenience/personal taste determination. 

Agreed on crust and have heard good things about Rao's. Will try. She found another good one the other night, don't remember the name. Definitely leans "fancy" but worth it.

The screen has gotten us much, much closer to a regular oven-baked NY style pie. Great marriage of going directly on the rack, which you of course can't do with fresh crust, and using a baking sheet or a pizza stone/cast iron. Allows plenty of direct heat on the bottom to get it crispy. Also very easy once the crust is stretched. Just flop it on there and shape it as needed, then do the toppings. 

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So I wasn't satisfied with any of the reaction options but suffice it to say my reaction to this information is emotional.

We're actually looking at a countertop convection oven for Christmas. Any recommendations?

Do you know if there is an online resource further explaining this brick configuration, could you share a pic?

The Breville Smart Oven countertop convection ovens are hard to beat.

I don't know of any online resource on the bricks. Was just an idea I had a few years back, but it's simple. Fire brick comes in full size bricks and "thin" half bricks. I use the thin half bricks and just line the shelf with a single layer to form a "brick deck" and place that shelf as close to the broiler as it can get. Then pre-heat under the broiler on its highest setting for up to an hour. Immediately before putting the pizza in, turn from broil to bake and slide the pizza in on top of the "deck." That's as close to a brick oven as I can come on my budget. (The split fire bricks aren't cheap, around 12 bucks each last I looked. Edit: Six pack at HomeDepot for 35 bucks. Also Northern Tool has a six pack for 20 dollars.) (I use six of them in my oven.)

Edited by CleCoTiger
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, cbo said:

I'd be into that, too. Also, is there a cooking thread? Other than this one, I mean. 

The problem is the threads off the football board are easily forgotten. They don't seem to get nearly as much traction as a random cooking tangent on the main board, like this one. 

So there are a very few threads like that that stay current, at least that I participate in some. You know the music thread, there's a whiskey thread, a beer thread, a TV show thread... those all get some regular love. And a lot of attempts have been made at food threads but they never seem to stay active for long. I don't know why. Maybe because food is such a broad topic with infinite subgenres? I dunno. But I always think about it when we have these conversations. 

Maybe a club is the way to go, and that way we could have dedicated topics for different categories. Like, pizza is an obvious one, and now it sounds like cajun meat delivery could be its own thing. 

Okay, yeah, I'm gonna start a club. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So there are a very few threads like that that stay current, at least that I participate in some. You know the music thread, there's a whiskey thread, a beer thread, a TV show thread... those all get some regular love. And a lot of attempts have been made at food threads but they never seem to stay active for long. I don't know why. Maybe because food is such a broad topic with infinite subgenres? I dunno. But I always think about it when we have these conversations. 

Maybe a club is the way to go, and that way we could have dedicated topics for different categories. Like, pizza is an obvious one, and now it sounds like cajun meat delivery could be its own thing. 

Okay, yeah, I'm gonna start a club. 

I can't do anything but order a mean pizza but movie, and TV show stuff I'd be into. I need to visit the music thread again as well as I've found some more good artist lately. Thx.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, cbo said:

I'd be into that, too. Also, is there a cooking thread? Other than this one, I mean. 

The problem is the threads off the football board are easily forgotten. They don't seem to get nearly as much traction as a random cooking tangent on the main board, like this one. 

“All Things Considered” has some great threads without the nastiness of the sports boards. I haunt them but rarely post but that is my impression at least

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

I haven't used a screen. I "cheat" with an electric countertop convection oven by lining the shelf with thin "split" firebricks and pre-heating them for up to an hour under the broiler before sliding the fresh dough pizza in on top. Gets that "blistered" crust just right, even with a countertop oven.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ofbakcp3lcycq3p9xg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

A handful of invites sent out but of course it's open to all.

I joined. I don't have much to offer as knowledge but I'm hoping to learn a bunch

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I joined. I don't have much to offer as knowledge but I'm hoping to learn a bunch

Awesome, dude!

And if you eat, then you have knowledge. It's not just going to be for recipes and stuff. Restaurant recommendations, favorite football watching food, what does ketchup belong on and why is only fried potato products, etc... Bring it!

• Love 1

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I can just buy a damned pizza crust from Publix and throw it in the oven...

Next time try the Publix pre-made pizza dough, in the refrigerated bakery section and do what you want with it.

We had left-over grilled chicken/steamed spinach/sliced tomatoes.  Mrs. Keesler bough a small jar of alfredo in the jar (the cheap no brand kind) and a bag of mozzarella. Spread the alfredo on the dough, toped it with the grilled chicken, laid on spinach and the sliced tomatoes & added red pepper flakes & parmesan and baked it like a flat bread.  yum 

• Like 3

On 9/22/2021 at 9:18 AM, Barnacle said:

keep basil alive

Rosemary on the other hand can’t die in my yard. Basil is a little harder.

On 9/22/2021 at 1:48 PM, keesler said:

Next time try the Publix pre-made pizza dough, in the refrigerated bakery section and do what you want with it.

We had left-over grilled chicken/steamed spinach/sliced tomatoes.  Mrs. Keesler bough a small jar of alfredo in the jar (the cheap no brand kind) and a bag of mozzarella. Spread the alfredo on the dough, toped it with the grilled chicken, laid on spinach and the sliced tomatoes & added red pepper flakes & parmesan and baked it like a flat bread.  yum 

Alfredo is easy to make and the jar stuff-I don’t even know what that is. 😝 

27 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I learned how to make Alfredo recently. I’ll never even think of picking up jarred sauce again. 

Homemade Alfredo is super easy and very delicious. Just a matter of having the ingredients on hand.

Well, returning to the original post ---

When I saw the topic title "Show up, give a s*** and repeat” I thought it was demanding FANS show up at games. Ya know, like Akron, Ala State, Georgia State. Because ..... well, I dunno. These are the only home games Auburn can win???? 

Sorry, I just wasn't dialed in to whatever OTHER intent might be for the title. But, okay, why would players NOT be focused on big games? Isn't that ** expected **?

And isn't it the JOB of coaches to have players totally prepared and focused for the games? Isn't it their job to make sure that the entire team shows up, gives a s***, ever week?

• Facepalm 1

On 9/22/2021 at 11:57 AM, CleCoTiger said:

Love my Breville oven. Has better heating elements than your cheap toaster oven. Cooks just as well as a big oven when you have smaller dishes. Perfect for a family of two. I hated heating up the big oven for a pizza, roasted veggies or other dishes for two. We bought quarter sheets on line and silpat liners for the oven and they work great. We roast veggies in it all the time and they are perfect. 390 convection for 30 minutes, turn after 15 minutes. Loved it so much we bought one for my elderly parents.

On 9/17/2021 at 4:31 PM, SRBautigerfan said:

Love this coaches attitude.  🤘

Improvement over Gus's it's ok to lose philosophy. Hopefully it pays off for the team. 

On 9/22/2021 at 11:06 AM, cole256 said:

I can't do anything but order a mean pizza but movie, and TV show stuff I'd be into. I need to visit the music thread again as well as I've found some more good artist lately. Thx.

I’m just going to share this nugget with everyone. If you are into TV shows I have found another good one. It’s on Amazon Prime: Absentia 

check it out

• Thanks 1