Just a little fun fact (Nix Edition) Everytime Atlanta has won the WS, Auburn has beaten Bammer with a QB named Nix.

autiger88

9 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I despise that franchise with every fiber of my being.

I hear you. I dislike all Boston franchises. I think it's something about the people and the city. They seem cold 🥶 and distant. I know, I shouldn't lump everyone together. But I'm open to being proved wrong.

Years ending in 1 have not been kind to us against UAT. 0-7 since the series resumed. 3 and 7 have been our best years, 5-2 in each since resuming (including four straight in each!).

(Basically, this thread is right up my alley--weird patterns are my thing.)

• Love 1

13 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Years ending in 1 have not been kind to us against UAT. 0-7 since the series resumed. 3 and 7 have been our best years, 5-2 in each since resuming (including four straight in each!).

(Basically, this thread is right up my alley--weird patterns are my thing.)

Well hopefully that changes starting this year.👍

11 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Baseball encyclopedia?  Dude, baseball was literally how I made a living for years.  And yes, when you win 14 division championships in a row and fail to show up when it counts, that is spoiled.

You'll notice I said nothing of the regular season.  Everyone has empty seats during 81 home games.

But swaths of empty seats for decisive games of playoff series or NLCS games?  Not acceptable for any fan base or team worth a damn.

You're correct. It was embarrassing. I find this to be a pretty interesting subject. Other cities pack their parks for teams that maybe aren't as successful as the Braves, but CoA residents did not fill Turner for major games during a historic run.

Spoiled, bad stadium, too many transplants in ATL, residents that simply do not like baseball? A combination? All I know is that Truist has seen much better attendance and atmosphere, and it's much less embarrassing on national TV. It's funny to me that people are so pissed when the organization made a smart business move because the residents didn't show up

• Like 3

3 hours ago, au302 said:

You're correct. It was embarrassing. I find this to be a pretty interesting subject. Other cities pack their parks for teams that maybe aren't as successful as the Braves, but CoA residents did not fill Turner for major games during a historic run.

Spoiled, bad stadium, too many transplants in ATL, residents that simply do not like baseball? A combination? All I know is that Truist has seen much better attendance and atmosphere, and it's much less embarrassing on national TV. It's funny to me that people are so pissed when the organization made a smart business move because the residents didn't show up

Truist is helped by the fact that its not as cavernous as Turner.  I think it has about 12-13k fewer seats.  Its a legitimately nice ballpark that I quite enjoyed a few years back.

20 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

I like the Damn Yankees....but Damn, I hate the Yankees!

Loathed them for many years (obvious reasons) but over time I have shifted my hate to the Red Sox. I respect the Yankees and their success now.

Red Sox fans or “fans” seemed to forget they were second biggest joke in American sports for decades. They’ve had a lot of success but still lol so many of their fans started watching baseball in 2004.  

Any Northeastern fanbase is the worst really if we’re being honest. 

9 hours ago, au302 said:

It's funny to me that people are so pissed when the organization made a smart business move because the residents didn't show up

This is fair. For me, it's not that I am or ever was "pissed" that they left. It's more that it was confirmation of many of the reasons I never really had any love for them. Of course, nobody should take my opinion on them seriously, including myself. 

Them moving north of the city even makes more sense for the players. Most of them have houses up there, anyway. 

The Thrashers... now that was a raw deal. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Interesting takes on Braves fans as well. Having not grown up in Atlanta, but three hours away, most all my experiences with Braves fans are with people like me, who grew up in the Southeast without another team close by to root for. As a kid, I LOVED the Braves. Had posters all over my wall. Watched every game on TBS that I was able to. Wore my baseball pants just like Chipper (when he still wore his pants up). My outside perspective has always been that the city hasn’t supported the team as well as as others, see home attendance numbers, but attributed that to the nature of the fanbase, and just how regional it is. 

Speaking of Chipper, has there ever been a guy get into the HOF that spent more time on the 15 day DL? I swear, I think he was on the DL once for a hang nail!! 🤮

29 minutes ago, woodford said:

Loathed them for many years (obvious reasons) but over time I have shifted my hate to the Red Sox. I respect the Yankees and their success now.

Red Sox fans or “fans” seemed to forget they were second biggest joke in American sports for decades. They’ve had a lot of success but still lol so many of their fans started watching baseball in 2004.  

Any Northeastern fanbase is the worst really if we’re being honest. 

tenor.gif

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Speaking of Chipper, has there ever been a guy get into the HOF that spent more time on the 15 day DL? I swear, I think he was on the DL once for a hang nail!! 🤮

Chipper was one that was a great baseball player but man you are correct on the fact he seemed like he was always on the DL 😂 Cal Ripken Jr he was not lol 

On 11/3/2021 at 11:47 AM, McLoofus said:

That's probably accurate, but the Braves made the mistake initially of focusing on that regional fanbase instead of city residents. They built this giant stadium with sprawling parking lots in every direction right in the middle of what should have been vibrant urban development. Furthermore, to get there by train, you had to get off, walk through Underground Atlanta, and then hop on a shuttle bus the rest of the way to the game. It was annoying and anti-city in every way. When we'd go to games, we'd park in Grant Park and walk over. But it was nothing like true city stadiums surrounded by retail/bars/restaurants that would encourage people to hang out and spend money before and after the game, and of course did nothing to engender any kind of civic pride type experience. It was built for folks to drive into the city, park, drink and eat things they brought with them, go to the game, and then sit in traffic trying to get out of there. And by "there", I mean a neighborhood that was scary to people from Cobb County and beyond. So they managed to alienate both Atlantans and people from other places.

Atlantans show up for terrible Falcons teams year after year and have set all kinds of attendance records at United games. (And not just MLS or even soccer records.) Hawks playoff games are standing room only. 

Not sure if the Braves could've better embraced the city in a way that would make the city embrace them back like they do other teams, but they didn't really try to.

Well, I think you bring up a lot of good points, and for many of those reasons, the Braves moved the stadium out of Atlanta, where they got a lot of empty promises from the city for decades. Seemed promising after the Olympics, that the area around the stadium would be developed, but it never happened.

I live in Smyrna (Cobb County), and was actually pretty skeptical about the move. Traffic would be terrible, construction would be terrible, etc. It's actually really great. Traffic in the area is actually pretty okay before, during, and after games. And the businesses brought into the battery are nice--nice restaurants, good entertainment, etc.

I actually did like a lot of things about the old stadium--the sight lines were all pretty good (there are some slightly obstructed views at Truist), and I loved seeing the City skyline when sitting in the nosebleeds above homeplate. And you didn't have to take the shuttle from Underground Atlanta--you could walk. But I find myself going to more games at Truist than I did in Atlanta.

On 11/3/2021 at 11:16 AM, Brad_ATX said:

For me, it goes back to the division title run.  The fact that their fans largely didn't give a rats a** about that team despite it winning A LOT.  The amount of empty seats for playoff games (10,000 or more) was mind boggling.

There's some truth to that, but again, that was when they were in Atlanta, and when the fans did get spoiled AND heartbroken (many division titles, only one championship). I was working in San Francisco and came back for playoff games each year, and was struck by the smaller crowds in the late 90's and early 2000's.

The crowds have been better in SunTrust/Truist, both in the regular season and the playoffs. Their home attendance has been in the top half of the league since 2017 (#2 this year, despite being below .500 for most of the season).

Anyways, I love the Braves, and this year's storybook run. It was really awesome, and already looking forward to 2022.

• Like 3

• WarTiger changed the title to Just a little fun fact (Nix Edition)
On 11/3/2021 at 7:43 AM, woodford said:

You forgot 1914. I can’t find a roster lol

Just ask Golf.

Wasnt he a starter on that team?

• Haha 1

• autiger88 changed the title to Just a little fun fact (Nix Edition) Everytime Atlanta has won the WS, Auburn has beaten Bammer with a QB named Nix.
2 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

Bo Nix should be the first NCAA football player to have an NLI with a professional baseball team. Pull the string, Braves.

So if they were to change their name, which I don't believe is going to happen, then just go with the Knicks. Then you've got it covered. 

• Haha 1

On 11/3/2021 at 7:46 PM, Never2Yield said:

I hear you. I dislike all Boston franchises. I think it's something about the people and the city. They seem cold 🥶 and distant. I know, I shouldn't lump everyone together. But I'm open to being proved wrong.

My many experiences in Boston have been very different from yours.

Pretty hilarious seeing the videos of the parade bus hauling ass through ATL and then driving at an appropriate parade speed in Cobb County. And no, I'm not exaggerating or making it up.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

My many experiences in Boston have been very different from yours.

Touché.  Like I said, I'm open to being proven wrong. I have only been to the Boston area several times.  I know that's not enough to make a significant assessment.

Edited by Never2Yield
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Never2Yield said:

Touché.  Like I said, I'm open to a being proven wrong. I have only been to the Boston area several times.  I know that's not enough to make a significant assessment

I should likewise qualify my own experiences, because I have family by marriage and lots of (now former) coworkers up there. So mine is not a completely objective opinion. But my interactions with strangers up there have been mostly good. 

That said, I can share an anecdote that supports your experiences more than my own. I took some Ma**holes to dinner in Atlanta. We were waiting outside the restaurant to be seated and they remarked on how calm and polite everyone in line was. They said that back home people would have been obnoxious in that scenario.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Never2Yield said:

Touché.  Like I said, I'm open to being proven wrong. I have only been to the Boston area several times.  I know that's not enough to make a significant assessment.

It's all a matter of opinion. I hate everything about the area. The people...🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Pretty hilarious seeing the videos of the parade bus hauling ass through ATL and then driving at an appropriate parade speed in Cobb County. And no, I'm not exaggerating or making it up.

It’s because they’re racist!!1!1!

Try harder