South Carolina Ran Same 2 Plays

tomcat

58 minutes ago, cole256 said:

From what I see he has been making what he has work. As the season has gone on and not having depth has taken it's toll.

And I'm not even talking having a bunch of 5 stars, I'm saying he literally doesn't have guys with the weight, height needed. Our d ends would be linebackers. We lost our best d tackle to injury before the season started. We don't have depth. They gave out. They did the best that they could

Depth has to be built.  When the DC won't rotate players, you leave guys on the bench that desperately need field action AND the one's playing non-stop give out and begin to make careless mistakes because they are worn down by the 4th.

I see your points Cole as it relates to the defense.  But do you not think better coaching, preparation, training and development from Sunday-Friday in practice and  then tweaking the scheme in-game has been absent?  That falls on Mason IMO.  If the he's too stubborn to deviate from his original game plan then he's no help to this team.  If he refuses to rotate players to build depth and experience then he's no help to the team as a season progresses and we face tougher competition. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

And, if it IS being trained and still isn't sticking, then you either need a new player

Therein lies the rub.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

From what I see he has been making what he has work. As the season has gone on and not having depth has taken it's toll.

And I'm not even talking having a bunch of 5 stars, I'm saying he literally doesn't have guys with the weight, height needed. Our d ends would be linebackers. We lost our best d tackle to injury before the season started. We don't have depth. They gave out. They did the best that they could

Fact

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Harris is small to be in the middle, pegues wasn't even on defense originally and Hunter was used to playing tackle as well and they haven't been in the weight program that long. But yes I expect next heart Hunter and pegues to be able to help more. Right now they are probably hitting that freshman wall. 

Don't forget Wright, he would've been a huge addition to this year's DL. Next year, with the experience gained this year, DL should be the defensive strength.

3 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

@cole256whats your opinion of the DL coach, or do you have one?  I know NOTHING about him, except he coached some in NFL. 

I think he has done a tremendous job. He's getting a lot of production from his players. We're 8th in the league in sacks and only 10 behind UGA's tremendous DL and defense ranked at 1

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Also...

Against USCe...

306 yards 

21 pts 

1/9 on 3rd down 

The D did their jobs, IMO.

And they were gifted a short field before half. As painful as it was watching our D get off the field sometimes, I couldn't believe they only ended up with 3 TDs.  Something about the Harsin era...we run a lot of clock down and seem to get very few drives a game.  It feels weird after 8 years of Gus.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keesler said:

Depth has to be built.  When the DC won't rotate players, you leave guys on the bench that desperately need field action AND the one's playing non-stop give out and begin to make careless mistakes because they are worn down by the 4th.

I see your points Cole as it relates to the defense.  But do you not think better coaching, preparation, training and development from Sunday-Friday in practice and  then tweaking the scheme in-game has been absent?  That falls on Mason IMO.  If the he's too stubborn to deviate from his original game plan then he's no help to this team.  If he refuses to rotate players to build depth and experience then he's no help to the team as a season progresses and we face tougher competition. 

I guess I just feel that I don't have anything to go off of to believe he's not coaching them and preparing them. I know a couple of games it seemed like afterwards the players were very matter of fact as far as saying they didn't do certain things. Seemed to me that they saw on film that had they done what they were taught some things would've worked. 

The in game modifications you mentioned I don't know what else he could've done. And I just think his guys are gassed and hurting and he knows that and he's trying to help them. Remember the first 5 or 6 games his adjustments are the reasons we won the games.

I'm not completely sure he's the person that decides who redshirts or not and I don't know who are the players you're referring to as far as refuses to rotate. But I know I found it curious as far as the wr playing.

Maybe it's Harsin who decides who sees the field or not. I don't know one way or the other but there are multiple groups on both sides of the ball that we all have wondered about. One thing I do know for sure is there's no hiding or scheming around not having a d line.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

If you coach basketball I don't care how good you are you can't make a 6'3" guy good at center. He doesn't have the players to be a good 3-4 defense. Even our best players are too small to be honest. There isn't any coaching it up. You're too small up front to keep the guys off your small linebackers. 

the truth doesn't sale Cole, you are wasting your time trying to turn 15cents into a dollar. it's all the current coaches fault and not the latter. Boy!! good luck changing some of these minds.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

@cole256whats your opinion of the DL coach, or do you have one?  I know NOTHING about him, except he coached some in NFL. 

I've read awesome things about him. It's hard to tell exactly how well without a baseline. These guys playing now didn't have experience in the SEC at all. I think he's doing good with what he has though. I think next year will show us a bunch.

Unless we do something stupid and fire everybody. Then we'll have a group trying to learn everything all over again

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I've read awesome things about him. It's hard to tell exactly how well without a baseline. These guys playing now didn't have experience in the SEC at all. I think he's doing good with what he has though. I think next year will show us a bunch.

Unless we do something stupid and fire everybody. Then we'll have a group trying to learn everything all over again

How do you think the Dline looks next season? I think we lose Fair and Moultry. Having Wright back could be a big help. Hopefully Pegues can improve and Hunter and Brooks start to contribute. Another year in the system for everyone.

Hard to predict, but I have some optimism there. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cbo said:

How do you think the Dline looks next season? I think we lose Fair and Moultry. Having Wright back could be a big help. Hopefully Pegues can improve and Hunter and Brooks start to contribute. Another year in the system for everyone.

Hard to predict, but I have some optimism there. 

I think as far as d line big improvements. Like you said we have Wright back. That in itself is huge. You have pegues back and he spent a good bit of time not even playing d here at first so he'll now have some games under their belt. Hunter will be back and he'll be bigger and stronger. They'll be comfortable in what their roles are and it will be more playing instead of thinking. More reacting I should say. 

Then hopefully Brooks will be a monster physically and we'll finally have a guy who at least physically is an elite athlete. 

Wish fair and leota had one more year. I like height, I think he can be a good pass rusher. I keep trying to tell people that first year learning a 3-4 is rough. But when we get rolling I really do think we can be good. We may have depth issues at linebacker next year though.

Also I'll keep saying this until I'm blue in the face, this very stuff we're dealing with now is why newkirk and truesdale leaving hurt us. Those two guys would help tremendously as far as helping in a rotation and being run stop guys. Holding their space and keeping guys off our smaller but quick linebackers. 

Oh and Harris will be bigger and stronger as well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I think as far as d line big improvements. Like you said we have Wright back. That in itself is huge. You have pegues back and he spent a good bit of time not even playing d here at first so he'll now have some games under their belt. Hunter will be back and he'll be bigger and stronger. They'll be comfortable in what their roles are and it will be more playing instead of thinking. More reacting I should say. 

Then hopefully Brooks will be a monster physically and we'll finally have a guy who at least physically is an elite athlete. 

Wish fair and leota had one more year. I like height, I think he can be a good pass rusher. I keep trying to tell people that first year learning a 3-4 is rough. But when we get rolling I really do think we can be good. We may have depth issues at linebacker next year though.

Also I'll keep saying this until I'm blue in the face, this very stuff we're dealing with now is why newkirk and truesdale leaving hurt us. Those two guys would help tremendously as far as helping in a rotation and being run stop guys. Holding their space and keeping guys off our smaller but quick linebackers. 

Oh and Harris will be bigger and stronger as well!

Thanks, good stuff. 

Feel like Pegues and Wright will be formidable. Forgot about Harris. Is Leota done? Thought he had another year, but could be wrong. He's a good piece of the puzzle. 

You and I are on the same page when it comes to dismissing guys who leave, for whatever reason. Newkirk and Truesdale. Seth being the perfect example this year. I guess fans get their feelings hurt and want to downgrade the importance of anyone that leaves. But I'll take proven guys over whatever recruit we've all fallen in love with. Every time. 

There are reasons to be optimistic about the dline, which could make all the difference on D next year. LB does worry me. I don't even know what to think about the secondary anymore. Lots of transfers this past year and the one position we seem to be loading up on in this recruiting class. 

• Like 1

I don't see much discipline on this defense.  Coaches should be held accountable for mindless penalties, confusion, and lack of confidence.  Also, there has to be at least one guy out there on defense that knows what's going on.  The coach on the field player.  The go-to guy that players can rally around.  I don't think it has as much to do with size, depth, or technique as people think.  If a D1 player doesn't already know how to play, he shouldn't be out there to begin with.  Coaching is about motivating players more than teaching them how to play.  It really is that simple.

5 hours ago, keesler said:

Is it possible that gassed first teamers are better than those behind them? Scary thought.

• Sad 1

• WarTiger changed the title to South Carolina Ran Same 2 Plays
2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Also I'll keep saying this until I'm blue in the face, this very stuff we're dealing with now is why newkirk and truesdale leaving hurt us.

They clearly didn't make a difference at Florida. That defense is terrible.

1 hour ago, tomcat said:

Is it possible that gassed first teamers are better than those behind them? Scary thought.

I think that's why we've fallen off 2nd half of games/season. We were 6-2, could have been 7-1 very easily, before the last few games There's not deep SEC talent in enough places. I'm willing to give a few years let Harsin do his thing.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

They clearly didn't make a difference at Florida. That defense is terrible.

I think that's why we've fallen off 2nd half of games/season. We were 6-2, could have been 7-1 very easily, before the last few games There's not deep SEC talent in enough places. I'm willing to give a few years let Harsin do his thing.

I see you missed it on that one

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, bigbird said:

Also...

Against USCe...

306 yards 

21 pts 

1/9 on 3rd down 

157 passing

149 rushing 

The D did their jobs.

Whoops, you dropped something here let me help you out

***led by an FCS transfer at QB 

2 hours ago, woodford said:

Whoops, you dropped something here let me help you out

***led by an FCS transfer at QB 

So, what? Are you saying he can't play? 

He ran their offense well enough to win. He did what was necessary and our SEC transfer didn't or couldn't. To discredit his game is a bad look. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He ran their offense well enough to win. He did what was necessary and our SEC transfer didn't. To discredit his game is a bad look. 

People kill me with that logic. You let any D1 team stay long enough in the game, they will win. Such stupid responses. Why aren't our D1 players on the offensive side doing their job is the bigger question. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He ran their offense well enough to win. He did what was necessary and our SEC transfer didn't. To discredit his game is a bad look. 

I’m saying the defense didn’t do their job as you suggested and yeah he shouldn’t be able to play like that against an Auburn defense. The offense was worse, but the defense isn’t infallible. They are to be held accountable as well. 

30 minutes ago, woodford said:

I’m saying the defense didn’t do their job as you suggested and yeah he shouldn’t be able to play like that against an Auburn defense. The offense was worse, but the defense isn’t infallible. They are to be held accountable as well. 

Holding a group accountable is a far cry to what's been spewed in this and multiple other threads about the D.  I get it, people had unfounded reason to be hopeful and they're disappointed. The ire towards the D compared to the O is absolutely laughable though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Holding a group accountable is a far cry to what's been spewed in this and multiple other threads about the D.  I get it, people had unfounded reason to be hopeful and they're disappointed. The ire towards the D compared to the O is absolutely laughable though.

Would you have ever imagined back in August that this defense would give up 40 unanswered points to State? Or even after the Ole Miss game for goodness sake? Yeah the offense didn’t help at all but 40 points? Really?

Being disappointed isn’t a sign that someone had lofty goals but someone who wants a competitive product. 

Overall, the offense has been worse but the defense isn’t some shining light. Auburn lacks coaching along with talent. Good grief, our DC was FIRED by Vanderbilt because even they thought he wasn’t good enough. So, yeah maybe you’re right. It was silly to have any slight optimism about a unit led by Derek Mason. 

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

People kill me with that logic. You let any D1 team stay long enough in the game, they will win. Such stupid responses. Why aren't our D1 players on the offensive side doing their job is the bigger question. 

Man

1 hour ago, DAG said:

What's funny is a couple of these dudes run around laughing at everybody else. 😂 You actually discuss strategy and stuff they laugh as if you're stupid. This is a wild forum man

• Like 1