Harsin response to Washington rumor question.

gr82be

https://news.yahoo.com/first-coach-bryan-harsin-said-025959481.html

What first-year coach Bryan Harsin said about his future with Auburn football

Bennett Durando, Montgomery Advertiser

November 27, 2021, 8:59 pm

AUBURN — After Auburn football's 24-22 loss to No. 2 Alabama in four overtimes Saturday, first-year coach Bryan Harsin was asked about reports that he was being considered for the head coaching job at Washington.

After referencing recruiting in his postgame press conference, he was asked if he's committed to staying at Auburn for the distant future.

"I’m always committed to what I’m doing. We’re just coming off a tough game. I came to Auburn for a reason," Harsin said. "Look at the history of my coaching career. This isn’t about me; this is about my team tonight. We played a good football team. We didn’t win. I’m disappointed. Our players are disappointed. I care more about what they think, and we've got to take care of those guys. There’s a reason why we came to Auburn, so just do the research and see the history of the things that I’ve been able to do and been a part of. There’s a reason why we’re here.

"Auburn’s a great place. Love it. Love the community here. Love where we’re going with the program. Disappointed as hell, but at the same time, excited about the future and the things that we’re going to be able to do and the stuff that’s happening here in this program. So whatever you want to say with that right there, yeah. Those guys in that locker room know where I stand, and everybody in this program and this coaching staff knows where I stand. I love it here. Love the orange and blue, and we've got a lot more work to do. So we’re going to continue that. We’re not going to let anybody distract us from doing the work necessary to go out there and be the type of team we know we can be."

His first season ended with a four-game losing streak, but Auburn (6-6, 3-5 SEC) will be assigned to a bowl game next week.

"As long as our guys stay focused, I will, and our staff (will), and we’ll be able to achieve those things at some point," Harsin said. "That’s the single-minded focus of this program coming from the head coach: Where we’re trying to go and how we’re going to do it."

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Questions like those drive me nuts. "Oh psssh yeah I'm outta here first thing in the morning. This place bloooooows." It comes across as a "make us feel good after this loss with some nice words about the school."

Edited by smackydoodle

26 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

There’s a lot of things he needs to improve at, and it’s gonna take at least another season to see if he will or won’t be able to do so. I rather him stay (and hire a real OC) than fire him and get some scrub 

I don't think anyone wants him to fail. But he hasn't exactly inspired confidence either. He makes me very uneasy with these pat answers. 

• Like 1

Thats a long answer to say nothing. Dont know if he leaves or not but theres no doubt hes interested in the Washington job.

• Facepalm 1

Harsin is officially baptized into SEC football and the “total experience” of what it is to be a HC at Auburn.  I’m sure he isn’t pleased with the results and realizes the enormous task he has in front of him and his staff so I’m sure he loves questions such as this.

have to give him time.. I'd grade his first season a D+.. however i think he came in over his head. You hear about the SEC and think to yourself no way it can be that tough. Until you are a head coach in the SEC.. lets see if he can adapt

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

D+?

That's fair. We've had some bad losses (MSU/USCe), some good losses (TAMU/PSU/UA), and some good wins (LSU/OM/Ark). To me, it's closer to a C. We were never out of any game. That itself is a massive improvement. Also, I never felt overmatched in any game except for maybe UGA, but we were in it. 

The culture is changing and that's the hardest thing to fix. Did you see us back down once yesterday from any of the "bama way"? Hell no, we went right back at them, all freakin' game!

To be here for only ~10-11 months and to see the improvements and who and where they came from makes me encouraged for the future.  

Yeah man, but too many sofa warriors will never understand. There are actually people on here that think football is a different game in the SEC than it is anywhere else. Competition, and overall athletic talent may be different, but football concepts are the same. I get so sick of seeing these dumb posts that because Harsin is now coaching in the SEC he has to somehow take a remedial course on football. Just dumb.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Yeah man, but too many sofa warriors will never understand. There are actually people on here that think football is a different game in the SEC than it is anywhere else. Competition, and overall athletic talent may be different, but football concepts are the same. I get so sick of seeing these dumb posts that because Harsin is now coaching in the SEC he has to somehow take a remedial course on football. Just dumb.

The biggest difference between the SEC and other conferences is that you cannot compete at a constant level in the SEC with 3* recruits. Coaching them up just doesn’t do as much in this conference. He’s gotta succeed recruiting or it doesn’t matter how detailed his plan is. Gus and Chiz understood this. They just didn’t develop like they needed to. Gotta do both at a high level. 

D+?

That's fair. We've had some bad losses (MSU/USCe), some good losses (TAMU/PSU/UA), and some good wins (LSU/OM/Ark). To me, it's closer to a C. We were never out of any game. That itself is a massive improvement. Also, I never felt overmatched in any game except for maybe UGA, but we were in it. 

The culture is changing and that's the hardest thing to fix. Did you see us back down once yesterday from any of the "bama way"? Hell no, we went right back at them, all freakin' game!

To be here for only ~10-11 months and to see the improvements and who and where they came from makes me encouraged for the future.  

This game really felt like CPD 1981. So did the rest of the season for that matter. I like where it's going. 

WRT to his answer, I think he presented an attitude of being a little PO'd about being asked the question in this context, and I like that too. The one thing you are taught to never do in situations like this is to even acknowledge the other U's name out loud, which he did. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

The biggest difference between the SEC and other conferences is that you cannot compete at a constant level in the SEC with 3* recruits. Coaching them up just doesn’t do as much in this conference. He’s gotta succeed recruiting or it doesn’t matter how detailed his plan is. Gus and Chiz understood this. They just didn’t develop like they needed to. Gotta do both at a high level. 

Did you check Zeek's list of recruits who were at the game? 

• Like 1

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

You think that Harsin is too stupid to figure that out? The man is trying to recruit as hard as he can. It's just the people who don't understand all that entails, and the fact he is playing catch up that irks me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, TigerHorn said:

This game really felt like CPD 1981. So did the rest of the season for that matter. I like where it's going. 

You and I both. We may get there, we may not. Everyone thought the sky was the limit in 2010 and 2013. Turns out it was all smoke and mirrors. I like the deliberate, long term foundation CBH is laying.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eagle-1 said:

You think that Harsin is too stupid to figure that out? The man is trying to recruit as hard as he can. It's just the people who don't understand all that entails, and the fact he is playing catch up that irks me.

You’re reading my post wrong, bud. I’m basically just saying that recruiting these next couple of cycles are gonna make or break him. I think he understands it. We just don’t know if he has that intangible recruiting factor that Nick and Kirby have. 

• Like 2

I actually am am impressed with the way Auburn played this year. Just looking at talent, I thought 6 wins but at least 3 of those would be very bad loses. They did a good job of covering talent holes in games and kept us in every game. Even the Georgia game should have been closer. Offensive line played above what I thought they could do and Receivers improved a lot. Also, not having a mobile QB after Bo went down hurt. I would love to see what they do with their guys. Just got to recruit and use the transfer portal. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CR said:

Thats a long answer to say nothing. Dont know if he leaves or not but theres no doubt hes interested in the Washington job.

If that’s true you absolutely did not glean that from his comments. You either know something that no one else knows or are just making stuff up to rip him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigman334 said:

have to give him time.. I'd grade his first season a D+.. however i think he came in over his head. You hear about the SEC and think to yourself no way it can be that tough. Until you are a head coach in the SEC.. lets see if he can adapt

I would grade him much higher than that. Probably around C+ as he lost starting QB, LB, and kicker. Game last night I give him/staff a high B. We played them better than anyone except aTm (8-4 team btw).

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

You’re reading my post wrong, bud. I’m basically just saying that recruiting these next couple of cycles are gonna make or break him. I think he understands it. We just don’t know if he has that intangible recruiting factor that Nick and Kirby have. 

Apologize if I read your post wrong, but your reference to 3 star talent came off as if you were saying that Harsin's plan is to recruit at the 3 star level, and out coach everybody else. 

Not saying you are one of them, but I just shake my head at some of these posters that think Harsin has to learn football, but think Malzahn was some kind of expert. 

Truth is, Malzahn would still be coaching high school ball in Arkansas if not for some guy named Mitch Mustain, and three of his high school teammates. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

WRT to his answer, I think he presented an attitude of being a little PO'd about being asked the question in this context, and I like that too. The one thing you are taught to never do in situations like this is to even acknowledge the other U's name out loud, which he did. 

The other thing I liked was he said the people that matter (players, staff, admin) know exactly where he stands.

• Like 2

You and I both. We may get there, we may not. Everyone thought the sky was the limit in 2010 and 2013. Turns out it was all smoke and mirrors. I like the deliberate, long term foundation CBH is laying.

I was a five year old sorta bama fan in 1981 that was more interested in model airplanes than anything else.  

The idea behind Harsin I really like.  I’m more skeptical now whether that happens or not although watching Nix’s progress this season is very encouraging.  I also hope we see some coaching changes.  Although most of the time Mason had a beyond solid team, I’m finding it hard to get past the Miss State game and limited blitzing on the UAT TD drive.  On the same token he kept them out of the end zone for three quarters which is mind boggling.  

Bobo probably should be replaced though.  Parking Tank against SCar should cement that one.  

The Boise State fan talk about Harsin concerns me as it is very similar to our words about Gus. On the same token you have to wonder if they’re ticked because “their girlfriend dumped them”.  Time will tell on that account.  I figure next season will look similar to this one, maybe even not quite as shiny but that’s ok if he’s recruiting well and the players he does have are being put in the best possible position to win.  Year three is going to require some results.  Nine wins  minimum with one being over what I think will be UAT’s first season without Saban.