NIL

TigerHorn

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

I agree, but it should be a divide-the-pot type of disbursement like the NFL does. That way it's equal across the sport and doesn't have serious influence on where a player signs, keeping the competition across the game.

As is, the smaller market teams will be relegated to begging for scraps.

A policy like this will have to be put in place for college football to survive 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wcware said:

Serious question. Are we a smaller market cap? I would think we are 

Yes and no. The potential is there, IMO.

2 minutes ago, wcware said:

It feels good to be around so many like minded individuals 😂 

Isn't that what the welcome banner at the asylum says

• Haha 1

Just now, bigbird said:

Yes and no. The potential is there, IMO.

It always feels like there is a power struggle at Auburn. I don’t know if this is the norm at other colleges or not, but it seems to me that this is the main thing holding us back

• Like 2

I just don't understand why people are so concerned about financial inequities all of a sudden when the bamas and Texases of the world have already been spending way, way, way more than anyone else on coaches and facilities. Texas has their own damn TV network, for crying out loud.

Why is this "haves and have nots" conversation suddenly happening *now*? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wcware said:

It always feels like there is a power struggle at Auburn. I don’t know if this is the norm at other colleges or not, but it seems to me that this is the main thing holding us back

WE are our own worst enemy. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I just don't understand why people are so concerned about financial inequities all of a sudden when the bamas and Texases of the world have already been spending way, way, way more than anyone else on coaches and facilities. Texas has their own damn TV network, for crying out loud.

I think Auburn fans are concerned we will be a have not

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, wcware said:

I think Auburn fans are concerned we will be a have not

Would love to see an honest discussion about that, then, rather than the "it's ruining CFB" stuff and the performative, self-righteous "it's bad for the kids" BS. 

If it's an Auburn problem, then let's talk about whether Auburn belongs in the arms race and, if yes, what Auburn needs to do to stay competitive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Would love to see an honest discussion about that, then, rather than the "it's ruining CFB" stuff and the performative, self-righteous "it's bad for the kids" BS. 

If it's an Auburn problem, then let's talk about whether Auburn belongs in the arms race and, if yes, what Auburn needs to do to stay competitive. 

I support NIL fully. I had my concerns that powerful money people at Auburn would feel the same way about it and I still do, but if we can be creative and find a way for the average fan like me or you to make an impact, I have confidence that our fan base can and will keep us competitive in this new market.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Serious question.   Why good?

It's a multi billion dollar industry where the kids who are the literal product were cut out of earning money bc of bull**** archaic rules.

They deserve all they money they get

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ChristoThor said:

I am not against allowing the players to be paid since they are the whole reason we even have college sports to watch anyways. I am worried that Texas and a few other schools will dominate recruiting if there is not some sort of cap put out there. How many schools' boosters can afford to spend $800,000 on offensive linemen alone or a $10,000,000 collective? I don't see many schools pulling together those kind of funds. I could be wrong though. This is all very new and it feels like the current state of the NIL is going to benefit a few schools and leave everyone else in the dust.

We just pulled together 25+mm to fire a coach. Look at the other dead money all these schools have

That isn't AD or university money, that is booster money. It's crazy to think we don't or others don't have the money to prop this up

2 hours ago, wcware said:

It’s quite detailed but basically all athletes at Auburn will fall under one umbrella and us as fans will be able to subscribe to a sport, position group, or even and player, and depending on the amount of money you spend will determine the level of access you get. They mentioned things like monthly autographs all the way to personal telephone calls. Sounds really cool and they seem to think the players love the idea. I also think it gives the Auburn Family a chance to show out. We may not have the powerful boosters of a Texas but our collective fan base can rival anyone 

I'd like to buy a fraction of a player, but don't care about and autograph or a phone call.

Just play

Edited by W.E.D

26 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'd like to buy a fraction of a player, but don't care about and autograph or a phone call.

Just play

It sounds like you will have your opportunity soon. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

The haves will have more and the have nots will have less. It will just widen the gap

I don't think anyone really knows what NIL is going to do to the game.  Fear is driving many opinions on it.  I think the players should get their cut.  I hope Auburn does not get left behind as this game evolves.  The game has been slowly ruined by the NCAA for years now.  I see this as an opportunity for improvement.  

• Thanks 1

In the future the booster will be the final say in who the coaches will be. Even more so than now.

If they are going to pony up millions in NIL money, they will have the final say in all operations. 

21 minutes ago, casatiger said:

I don't think anyone really knows what NIL is going to do to the game.  Fear is driving many opinions on it.  I think the players should get their cut.  I hope Auburn does not get left behind as this game evolves.  The game has been slowly ruined by the NCAA for years now.  I see this as an opportunity for improvement.  

Agreed. You’re not wrong to “fear” anything and you’re not virtuous to be open arms about NIL and pro student athlete. People are skeptical because they love to sport. I want CFB to exist. They’ve always gotten paid and they always will. 

I’d like FBS to leave the NCAA and make their own rules. They should have started that process a decade ago. Don’t think Blue Bloods have any interest in playing in a level playing field though. 

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

We just pulled together 25+mm to fire a coach. Look at the other dead money all these schools have

That isn't AD or university money, that is booster money. It's crazy to think we don't or others don't have the money to prop this up

I don't necessarily disagree, but I don't know how many boosters are willing to pull the trigger so to speak. I think the money is there at a lot of schools, but I think it is a difference of having the money and wanting to spend the money. I just think that there are only a few schools who will have boosters that are ready to spend a lot of money, Texas being one of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wcware said:

It sounds like you will have your opportunity soon. 

Got $100 on it. Let's crowd fund this 

17 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Got $100 on it. Let's crowd fund this 

I think that’s the idea. Auburn fans for all our differences of opinions on how we think the program is being run, are very supportive or our players and I think it will be highly successful. Just imagine if Wade Christopher could have taken advantage of NIL. đŸ€ŻÂ