Good Read of letter from Bobby Ross

CarolinaTiger

its not about football hardly at all.

anybody know who the alabama high school coach is?

Link to Article

WEST POINT, N.Y. -- Dear Army Family,

Normally I would not write a personal note on our Web site, but I felt it was my obligation to do so this time. I just recently returned from a two-day trip to the state of Oklahoma. No, I was not recruiting or speaking at a football camp. I was visiting Fort Sill. At West Point, as part of the military program, our players go out to the U.S. Army for a period of time to learn about the different types of jobs they could have and to actually serve with soldiers. Since many players from our squad were conducting this training at the home of Field Artillery, Mr. Kevin Anderson and I decided to make the trip. I saw our players but also saw so much more!

As a former Army officer in the 3rd Armored Calvary Regiment, I had been to military bases and had conducted military training but what I saw over the two days while I visited Fort Sill has given me a totally new appreciation for what our soldiers, sergeants and officers do every day. I was humbled.

From the ceremonial cannon used by the horse drawn Half Section to the most sophisticated computer simulations, cannons and rockets, we saw it all. It was impressive. Not that there was ever any doubt in my mind, but I now know first hand that our Army is the best equipped and trained in the world.

As impressive as the technology was, it was the people that really made the trip so special. I was impressed by our cadets who had temporarily traded in their football helmets for Kevlar helmets and briefed me at each training site on what type of training "their" unit was conducting. Right beside them were "their" sergeants and officers who have accepted them as "their" own. We watched a basic training unit running the obstacle course in 100 degree heat. They were having a run-off between the platoons for bragging rights. The excitement and energy at the course was no less than that of the Army-Navy Game or the Super Bowl!

A four-man team per platoon ran the course for time and without prodding the rest of the 40 soldiers in the platoon ran next to "their" team. After the first run through, I met a soldier who had just finished running for his platoon. He was 39 years old! The majority of the soldiers going through the basic training were 18. I had to ask him why he joined the Army. He replied with the truest sincerity, "To Serve My Country, Sir." I was overwhelmed and did something out of instinct that I had not done in over 40 years -- I rendered the hand salute that I had learned so many years ago and said, "we salute you!" It just seemed right.

At the next training site we watched the Bayonet Assault Course. Another grueling test of skill and stamina, the new soldiers who were training in the same 100-degree heat were so motivated. It was inspiring. As we were leaving the course, I heard someone call my name and when I turned around there were two soldiers standing there with a group of six more a few paces behind. My attention was immediately drawn to the soldier who I assumed called my name. He had to have been six-feet-five inches tall and I thought to myself, "I wonder if he had any eligibility left?"

He had boldly asked his drill sergeant if he could meet me because he, too, was a coach. It turns out he was a high school teacher and coach in the state of Alabama. He was 33 years old! I had to ask him why he joined and without hesitation he too replied that he wanted to serve his country. He said he had two sisters that lived in New York near the World Trade Center and he wanted to protect them and do his part to make sure nothing like 9-11 happened again. I was overwhelmed. The soldier next to him was his battle buddy. They always stick together and the group behind was their squad. They were an inseparable team and it was my true privilege to meet them.

I saw so much more than our players at Fort Sill. I saw why our nation and our Army is so great. Teamwork is my business and I have been on many teams but I am more proud than I have ever been to be on the ARMY team and part of the ARMY Family. My sincerest thanks to all of the soldiers, sergeants and officers who made our visit to Fort Sill so special and thanks to all of the Army Family all over world for what you do every day to keep us all safe and free. Happy Fourth of July! GO ARMY!

Guest Tigrinum Major

That was a neat read. I would be interested to find out who the coach was. I would like to send him a note to thank him.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Possibly, that is a recruit that he is talking to (no patch on his left shoulder.) The guy in the beret appears to be a liasion of some sort. The other guys that are blocked by Ross might be instructors.

Archived