Coach Mason

Proud Tiger

2 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Yes Harsin micromanages. Like many college coaches he always has. Mason should have known he would continue do so when Mason hired on. Saban is also a notorious micromanager. It's his MO. 

And yet you are still here adding to the post count

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

We pretty much lost all of our NFL and anybody being a good coach credibility on defense (offense to when you think about it) and the head coach is an offense guy......so it really doesn't matter if an individual didn't think he was a good coach because they felt he didn't blitz enough, or if they just don't understand for a defense to be good you need depth and a freaking d line to be good.

What mattered is the guys that actually play knew he was good. And he is the reason most came to play on that defense. Now he's gone. So now why would a guy with a bunch of options want to play for us?

What I'm curious is when we play this year will the people be happy with a guy that blitz a bunch and we get busted by f explosive plays over and over

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I never said that. Your just incorrectly surmising. The only thing I have ever posted relative to Mason (that I remember) :

1. He is gone as an DC so we need to move in. Any opinions don’t matter as he is not here anymore (just like Malzahn,

2. Some had posted he needed  to hang around and possibly get the HC job once Harsin was gone. I posted that was ridiculous based on his HC record. He would need some time to rebuild his perceived capabilities for another HC gig.

that’s the only 2 things I remember. I never said we didn’t need him, but he’s not here!!

So you going to leave this post up?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Yep. Worthwhile topic despite the thread content.

So you do understand why people want to speak on the subject and you telling everybody else not to and move on isn't something you yourself would necessarily follow?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So you do understand why people want to speak on the subject and you telling everybody else not to and move on isn't something you yourself would necessarily follow?

To be clear Cole your input in this and many threads was about the only thoughtful input.

@Hank2020 that's fine I figured, it's cool to interject and speak on how I'm so wrong but you can't really speak on you yourself being wrong.

I hate being wrong myself so what I do is I don't jump down anybody throat without knowing what's actually going on so I don't put myself in those situations. Even doing that you will still sometimes find yourself being wrong......then you have to say sorry if you were bold enough to call somebody out......well most people

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

@Hank2020 that's fine I figured, it's cool to interject and speak on how I'm so wrong but you can't really speak on you yourself being wrong.

I hate being wrong myself so what I do is I don't jump down anybody throat without knowing what's actually going on so I don't put myself in those situations. Even doing that you will still sometimes find yourself being wrong......then you have to say sorry if you were bold enough to call somebody out......well most people

Appreciate the guidance.

1 minute ago, aucanucktiger said:

To be clear Cole your input in this and many threads was about the only thoughtful input.

Come on man we all have good stuff if it's legit and not arguing to be arguing or trolling. Sometimes we may need an exchange with another to get on the right path. But we have to give EVERYBODY a chance. Now when they show everybody who they are we have to act accordingly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

Appreciate the guidance.

No problem. And if I run you the wrong way just put me on ignore because it's you quoting me. It's just funny to always want to check me but you can ignore when you are completely off base. Me personally I don't want to play if the rules just apply for me. So if that's how you play I just respectfully ask you to leave me out of that.

Thanks. 

@cole256I am probably in the minority on this opinion but I think Mason would be a good, possibly even great head coach at Auburn. When he was at Vandy I always just felt like if given the opportunity at a place with the resources of Auburn he could do great things. He ticks so many boxes on things we say we want in a head coach. His soft skills are great and I don’t think there is any question about X’s and O’s. I think someone gives him a shot again soon.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wcware said:

I am probably in the minority on this opinion but I think Mason would be a good, possibly even great head coach at Auburn. When he was at Vandy I always just felt like if given the opportunity at a place with the resources of Auburn he could do great things.

Serious question for the Mason guys. My overall perception of him is that he was considered a great DC due to his ability to slow the mystical Chip Kelly offense at Oregon when he was Stanford's DC. His time as HC at Vanderbilt was stupendously underwhelming in light of the success that James Franklin had before him. I just don't get it. I know he seems like a great guy, but hell Doug Barfield was one of the nicest guys I've ever met and been around. But he's not a good HC. And I understand if we just have different takes, I'm just curious what you guys see that make him special.

14 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Serious question for the Mason guys. My overall perception of him is that he was considered a great DC due to his ability to slow the mystical Chip Kelly offense at Oregon when he was Stanford's DC. His time as HC at Vanderbilt was stupendously underwhelming in light of the success that James Franklin had before him. I just don't get it. I know he seems like a great guy, but hell Doug Barfield was one of the nicest guys I've ever met and been around. But he's not a good HC. And I understand if we just have different takes, I'm just curious what you guys see that make him special.

Vandy alum here. What Franklin did at Vandy is basically outrageous. I don't even know how to describe it. Since 1974 DiNardo is the only other coach Vandy has had who outperformed Mason, and only barely. Mason did very, very well until his program ran out of energy, which is about what you could say about DiNardo.

So I do hold Mason accountable for losing momentum, but on the whole he did a very good job at Vandy.

I'm sorry, but if you don't recognize Mason's success as a DC at Stanford and at Auburn, you really don't know how to evaluate football. There's a reason OkState is paying him over $1MM per year. He's making a lot more than either coordinator did last year.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, oracle79 said:

His defenses was much more than slowing down Oregon. And I can look past thinking a coach can make vandy good. And he didn't make vandy a playoff team but I think the stupendously underwhelming is exaggerating. 

I'm interested in why anybody would think he's not a good coach really

23 hours ago, wcware said:

@cole256I am probably in the minority on this opinion but I think Mason would be a good, possibly even great head coach at Auburn. When he was at Vandy I always just felt like if given the opportunity at a place with the resources of Auburn he could do great things. He ticks so many boxes on things we say we want in a head coach. His soft skills are great and I don’t think there is any question about X’s and O’s. I think someone gives him a shot again soon.

I don't think if he linked up with a good oc he could be very successful. Seems so pathetic people base his ability of coaching to Vandy as if that was some powerhouse school or something

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wcware said:

You are correct , but the pushback would be unreal because his stint at Vandy. I remember getting so much flack for wanting him here as a DC. Much better apex then freaking CKS, which a group of people actively promoted. I was actually think if CBH got fired CDM wouldn't be a bad interim.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DAG said:

You are correct , but the pushback would be unreal because his stint at Vandy. I remember getting so much flack for wanting him here as a DC. Much better apex then freaking CKS, which a group of people actively promoted. I was actually think if CBH got fired CDM wouldn't be a bad interim.

If people could point to specific things that worry them about his time at Vanderbilt, I could understand it.  When you are talking about a program that has had two coaches with winning records since 1970, it is hard to really infer much about a head coach's general ability.  Mason failed at Vanderbilt, so did 10 out of the 12 other guys in that time span.  I think Vanderbilt was a poor career choice on Mason's part, and that is probably about all we can deduce from it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

If people could point to specific things that worry them about his time at Vanderbilt, I could understand it.  When you are talking about a program that has had two coaches with winning records since 1970, it is hard to really infer much about a head coach's general ability.  Mason failed at Vanderbilt, so did 10 out of the 12 other guys in that time span.  I think Vanderbilt was a poor career choice on Mason's part, and that is probably about all we can deduce from it.

I am sure you can find some, but a lot of the pushback was for political optics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

The only reason I was thinking about it again was because I got to thinking about people pushing CKS. I can’t really think of anything metric I would consider KS better than DM. Some have said on here that he is very well liked by the PTB, if that’s the case, and the Harsin experiment fails, I would be 💯 behind trying to hire CDM as a head coach. Anyway just thinking out loud. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DAG said:

What's funny is the successful coach is what? Two or three more games? That's the margin for being a great coach to can't coach apparently 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wcware said:

The only reason I was thinking about it again was because I got to thinking about people pushing CKS. I can’t really think of anything metric I would consider KS better than DM. Some have said on here that he is very well liked by the PTB, if that’s the case, and the Harsin experiment fails, I would be 💯 behind trying to hire CDM as a head coach. Anyway just thinking out loud. 

People forget what that Clemson defense looked like when he was fired. And that's not vandy, that's Clemson where you get plenty of talent and he was in the ACC

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

People forget what that Clemson defense looked like when he was fired. And that's not vandy, that's Clemson where you get plenty of talent and he was in the ACC

I would be one of the ones that forgot. 😂. I had to go back and look at rankings.