SPC Elite Invitational

all4AU

What a game for the battery today!!!  Penta only giving a 2 hitter and 10ks!

1 minute ago, tgrogan21 said:

Strike out #10 for Maddie Penta!!

Pop up to SS to end the game!

Auburn wins 6-2! Starts out the season 8-0!

Very very impressive start to season. Softball has been fun again lol

• Love 2

Just now, AUBwins said:

Very very impressive start to season. Softball has been fun again lol

Might have to eat crow on all the bad things I've thought about Dean. l'll be happy to do that if these ladies keep playing like this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Felt like today was the barometer. Win over #9 on a tournament-like weekend cadence

We get another huge chance at an upset with UCLA tomorrow. Would be insane to win that game as well.

I know it's early in the season, but I'm very optimistic. I've been hard on MD the past couple of seasons, but it looks like this freshman class and the focus on S&C has been a major upgrade! 

• Love 1

So I was thinking that my favorite freshmen at Auburn was Jabari Smith - but then along came Sunni Lee and it's hard to argue with a Gold medalist - but now hold the phone we have a new leader in the clubhouse in Aubrie Lisenby. Holy Cow what a bulldog she is. Let's bottle that energy up somehow. Great play on the foul ball catch this afternoon.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AU1947 said:

Good test will be tomorrow and Texas was beat 9-2 by FSU right before they played AU! 

We just beat a top 10 Texas team, no matter who they lost to earlier. FSU is expected to get back to the WCWS. Just give Auburn credit for doing what they are supposed to do. In the past few years, we would not have got a hit, even if you were pitching. If AU beats UCLA in the morning, you would just state they had already lost to Northwestern. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

10 hours ago, Leftfield said:

BC.png

It should be much darker than the ball. Perhaps not allowed to pitch if wrapping is needed on the pitching hand.

12 hours ago, slot canyon said:

YouTube highlight film.  May be taken down so watch while you can.

Thanks Slot.  Really impressed with Penta.  She now has a changeup that she really lacked last year and her rise ball is killer.  Plus there were some very hard hit balls.  This may be a very fun season.  Hopefully, we can show out against UCLA.

41 minutes ago, saminbama said:

Thanks Slot.  Really impressed with Penta.  She now has a changeup that she really lacked last year and her rise ball is killer.  Plus there were some very hard hit balls.  This may be a very fun season.  Hopefully, we can show out against UCLA.

Penta did walk a few but seems to have more control this year within the at bat.  She seems to move on to the next pitch better than last year if she gives up a hit or walk etc. Curious who's startng in about 20 mins since Maddie went full game.  

Edited by AUBwins

Wake up sleepy heads! Top 5 opponent in 20 mins (10/9ct)! ESPNU has the game. 

Auburn bats struggling today.  Maybe the early start has is a bit sleepy?   Mainly though that pitcher for UCLA has been dealing with a variety of speed and location to keep us off balance.  Haven't had the timely hit when had the chance.  3-0 UCLA in 5th

Mentioned it yesterday with the only negative  being striking out 9 times against Texas. 8 out of 12 outs so far have been strikeouts. Gotta do a better job of putting the bat on the ball. 

We actually got run ruled in 6th. Gave up 6 runs that inning.  I had stopped watching so not sure how.  UCLA wins 9-0. It was a bounceback game from them.  They capitalized on any mistake by us and we hesitated.  But good learning experience.  We need to come back tomorrow and finish this up on a winning note against USF.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AU1947 said:

Well we had people out of position and made lots of mental mistakes. Showed how young we are!!

out of position? what u mean? They had 0 errors. Lowe ran out of gas or they figured her out by the 4th inn. Yar is struggling....

9-0 is definitely a good wake up call, that they have a lot to improve on. 

Yarborough is struggling and coming off injury. Lowe struggled, Penta struggled and we had balls dropping in the outfield, couldn't get to where we needed to be. Young team and game was too fast for them!!

The game today vs. UCLA was a rough one. There are no other words to describe it. UCLA came out on a mission after losing twice yesterday, and Auburn was riding a high after beating Texas. UCLA is a very good team and will be one of the best teams we face this year. Hopefully our team will learn valuable lessons from this game.

It seems 3 out of our 4 pitchers are dealing with some type of injury, and you need more than one fully healthy pitcher in a tournament like St. Pete. I imagine Dean pulled Penta to preserve her as much as possible for a start against USF tomorrow. USF has a great pitcher (Corrick) who can shutdown anyone, so our team needs to put this game behind them and refocus for tomorrow. 

Based on this weekend, I do believe this team can make a deep run in the postseason. We need to get Lowe, Dismukes, and Yarbrough fully healthy though. Our hitters will also need a better approach against pitchers with a good changeup moving forward.  

• Love 2