Bama linebacker sueing Huntsville TV station

AuNuma1

Can't say I blame him...I would've done the same thing. Ridiculous news reporting. You can't drag somebody's name through the mud on TV like that and expect nothing to happen. The dude responsible did not lose his job either.

AL.com

Bama's Roach sues Huntsville TV station

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

STEVE KIRK

News staff writer

A Huntsville television reporter knew that University of Alabama linebacker Freddie Roach wasn't the subject of a police investigation last summer but reported that he was, according to Roach's attorney.

That claim, made Tuesday by Huntsville attorney Joel Hamner, is at the heart of a civil lawsuit Roach has filed against WAFF, its parent company Raycom Media, its Web site producer Worldnow and reporter J.D. Byars. The suit, filed Monday in Colbert County Circuit Court, claims slander, libel and invasion of privacy.

"Basically, this is a situation where an overzealous reporter - although he realized that the allegations weren't true - went ahead and made them anyway," Hamner said.

The Aug. 28 incident, involving a disturbance at a Sheffield night club, led to police arresting a different Alabama linebacker, Earnest Nance. He was charged three days later with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

However, WAFF reported three times on Aug. 30 that Roach was being sought by police after breaking free from a Sheffield police officer, according to the suit.

WAFF vice president and general manager Lee Meredith said Tuesday that he had no comment on the lawsuit. Meredith did acknowledge that Byars is still employed by the station. He is listed on WAFF's Web Site as its Shoals bureau chief.

Roach is a senior from Killen who is expected to start at middle linebacker this fall. When told of WAFF's report shortly after it aired, he said he thought it was a joke. He said he was in Tuscaloosa when the alleged incident occurred.

Hamner is joined by attorney Wayne Wolfe in representing Roach. The suit calls for unspecified compensatory and punitive damages.

E-mail: skirk@bhamnews.com

I wonder what kind of proof they have that the reporter knew he was reporting a false story? Seems like it would be a hard thing to prove. That said, if the allegations by Mr. Roach are true, I hope he nails them in court.

Let's see, we have Cottrell, Williams, Mike Price, UA and Danny Moore, Roach. Is there anyone who is or has been connected to UA not involved in a lawsuit?

Yea it seems like a Pattern.........If you go to UA and somehow get screwed in Any sort of way, you can try to Sue the Bejesus out of that person, even if it's been a Year since it happened. Sheesh, this is freakin' stupid. I hope All the recruits coming out of Cullman are reading the Sports paper...........That's if they can read. :poke:

Recent precedent (Cottrell's case) shows it doesn't take much for a person (in this case a pre-season all-american in some publications) to be part of the public domain (w/ its heightened level of malice needed to prove defamation). Good jury case though...if it makes it past a motion to dismiss. Maybe they'll get venue in tuscalooser ;)

By the way, what ever happened to Bo's suit against the reporter et. al. that said he was juiced?

Recent precedent (Cottrell's case) shows it doesn't take much for a person (in this case a pre-season all-american in some publications) to be part of the public domain (w/ its heightened level of malice needed to prove defamation). Good jury case though...if it makes it past a motion to dismiss. Maybe they'll get venue in tuscalooser ;)  

By the way, what ever happened to Bo's suit against the reporter et. al. that said he was juiced?

170220[/snapback]

I read that a retraction of the story was issued.

Archived