All hell has broken loose

aubiefifty

9 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I honestly can't believe that this has to be said, but I swear people don't understand how much a scholarship is worth when student loans are what they are. That $40k student loan balloons to $120k QUICKLY and impedes income for decades. Scholarships and the opportunities provided for student athletes is priceless, in my opinion.

Today I agree. However the driving cause of both the studeny loan issue as well as the entire argument i made saying scholarships are worth their weight in gold all become moot if/when the govt ends subsidation of universities and stops propagating the idea that college is required.

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Carnell said:

I don't know if the NCAA can do anything about it.  The Supreme Court ruled against the NCAA and outside of Congress putting in some checks and balances against the Supreme Court decision I don't know if anyone else can do anything.

Just bc SCOTUS ruled against the NCAA on one particular issue of NIL doesn't mean that the NCAA is absolutely precluded from creating guidelines and rules regarding NIL deals,  Sure the NCAA is barred from saying no more NIL deals at all by the SCOTUS decision but not less than that.

On 5/18/2022 at 7:58 PM, GunsmithAU said:

Everything you said was known and accounted for. The offset of a scholarship is more than the vast majority of full time working student make. Add in the food, room and board, etc and scholarship athletes are well above the total possible income they could have made as a regular student. 

I'm not talking NIL here as prior to NIL legislation, athletes had it much better financially that non athlete student. 

You are totally wrong. You have no idea how time consuming it is in this day and age to be a college athlete. It's a full time job and they also have to maintain their grades and do charity work in the community.  There's also the toll it takes on their bodies, and many of them have medical issues and surgeries as a result of their playing college sports. You cannot compare those situations. I worked a full time, 40 hours week job, and went to college full time, and made the Dean's List every semester. Yes it was tiring and stressful at times. But I would never think that I had it any tougher than an athlete. I think I had it somewhat easier actually because I had less demands on my time.

Edited by Tigerbelle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I honestly can't believe that this has to be said, but I swear people don't understand how much a scholarship is worth when student loans are what they are. That $40k student loan balloons to $120k QUICKLY and impedes income for decades. Scholarships and the opportunities provided for student athletes is priceless, in my opinion.

I can't believe this has to be said but college athletes also have had to take out student loans because they can't work an outside job due to the demands of being an athlete. Many of them are from extreme poverty and if they need gas money or a new pair of jeans they can't call Mom and Dad. 

Some of you have no real clue of the true financial pressures these kids have when they are not from prosperous families. 

And BTW....as far as food goes.....the NCAA used to limit the number of meals that schools could provide to athletes even though the caloric needs of an athlete are very high. They had to be shamed into it after a college basketball player talked publicly about going to bed hungry. He had NO MONEY to buy extra food and his family could not help him.  Talking about how great athletes have had it is just ignorance about how tough it has been for most of them. Going hungry was a very common problem and yet these kids generated billions of dollars for everyone else. 

They deserve every dime they can make from their hard work. They have been exploited for decades.  The biggest reason for all the whining is simply the loss of control from the rich and powerful to those who are the real producers. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I can't believe this has to be said but college athletes also have had to take out student loans because they can't work an outside job due to the demands of being an athlete. Many of them are from extreme poverty and if they need gas money or a new pair of jeans they can't call Mom and Dad. 

Some of you have no real clue of the true financial pressures these kids have when they are not from prosperous families. 

And BTW....as far as food goes.....the NCAA used to limit the number of meals that schools could provide to athletes even though the caloric needs of an athlete are very high. They had to be shamed into it after a college basketball player talked publicly about going to bed hungry. He had NO MONEY to buy extra food and his family could not help him.  Talking about how great athletes have had it is just ignorance about how tough it has been for most of them. Going hungry was a very common problem and yet these kids generated billions of dollars for everyone else. 

They deserve every dime they can make from their hard work. They have been exploited for decades.  The biggest reason for all the whining is simply the loss of control from the rich and powerful to those who are the real producers. 

K

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

You are totally wrong. You have no idea how time consuming it is in this day and age to be a college athlete. It's a full time job and they also have to maintain their grades and do charity work in the community.  There's also the toll it takes on their bodies, and many of them have medical issues and surgeries as a result of their playing college sports. You cannot compare those situations. I worked a full time, 40 hours week job, and went to college full time, and made the Dean's List every semester. Yes it was tiring and stressful at times. But I would never think that I had it any tougher than an athlete. I think I had it somewhat easier actually because I had less demands on my time.

Ummm..... I've spent most of the last decade working for college athletics. From coaches assistant, student coaching, video, recruiting, ops...

I've worn many hats both at Auburn and at a G5 school. 

On 5/21/2022 at 9:40 PM, GunsmithAU said:

Ummm..... I've spent most of the last decade working for college athletics. From coaches assistant, student coaching, video, recruiting, ops...

I've worn many hats both at Auburn and at a G5 school. 

That is not really an argument.

• Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

That is not really an argument.

When the argument is I don't know or understand the time constrains, it 100% is. I have a better grasp on the commitment and requirements to play college ball than 99.9% of people to ever visit this site. 

If someone wants to say I am wrong, they better come with some damn good knowledge and experience. 

On 5/18/2022 at 7:22 PM, SumterAubie said:

The problem with this position is there are thousands of regular students who have to do this very thing. Scrape by, Without the benefit of a full ride scholarship along with access to the training table.

Sorry man, those regular students don't have elite athletic abilities and aren't in extreme demand in a billion dollar industry.

What's more, those regular students could legally get jobs.  CFB players can't.  They don't have time.

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Sorry man, those regular students don't have elite athletic abilities and aren't in extreme demand in a billion dollar industry.

What's more, those regular students could legally get jobs.  CFB players can't.  They don't have time.

Nor are they allowed if they had time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Nor are they allowed if they had time.

Imagine how mad fans would be if these kids were working vs watching film or tired b/c they had a late shift Friday.  Ppl just want to complain and their mad these kids aren't poor like them.

Colleges and Universities need the athletes to compete. Athletes need fans (viewership and tickets), colleges and universities to provide the opportunity to promote themselves and their athletic ability. At the end the of the day it's a cooperative but very few look at it as such. It's one pitted against the other. 

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Imagine how mad fans would be if these kids were working vs watching film or tired b/c they had a late shift Friday.  Ppl just want to complain and their mad these kids aren't poor like them.

Thats a heckofa conclusion you have jumped to also (poor like them). I think the higher likelihood is that they just want college football to go backwards a few years and that ain’t working. Once the water breaks the dam, level has to normalize to see where we land.

32 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

When the argument is I don't know or understand the time constrains, it 100% is. I have a better grasp on the commitment and requirements to play college ball than 99.9% of people to ever visit this site. 

If someone wants to say I am wrong, they better come with some damn good knowledge and experience. 

No.  Your experience is irrelevant.  What your experience has taught you is. 

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Thats a heckofa conclusion you have jumped to also (poor like them). I think the higher likelihood is that they just want college football to go backwards a few years and that ain’t working. Once the water breaks the dam, level has to normalize to see where we land.

It might not be all, but there is a large amount of ppl who hate NIL b/c of the money.  Look at the post here about ppl complaining they had it tough or all the other regular students don't have money.

• Dislike 1

7 hours ago, W.E.D said:

It might not be all, but there is a large amount of ppl who hate NIL b/c of the money.  Look at the post here about ppl complaining they had it tough or all the other regular students don't have money.

Ass-ume all you want but still an assumption IMO.

10 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

No.  Your experience is irrelevant.  What your experience has taught you is. 

So you are disregarding the persons experience because it doesn’t fit how you think it should have effected him/her? Damn 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, autigeremt said:

So you are disregarding the persons experience because it doesn’t fit how you think it should have effected him/her? Damn 

No.  I am saying, you cannot use experience as your argument.  You must still have reasoning.  Do not be disingenuous.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

No.  I am saying, you cannot use experience as your argument.  You must still have reasoning.  Do not be disingenuous.

I don't fully agree with that statement but thanks for the clarification. Ones experiences is part of ones makeup. Those experiences will notably provide a basis for some of the reasoning a person taps into. 

Just now, autigeremt said:

I don't fully agree with that statement but thanks for the clarification. Ones experiences is part of ones makeup. Those experiences will notably provide a basis for some of the reasoning a person taps into. 

Of course.  That is the point.  But, you cannot simply claim expertise/experience.  You still have to have reasoning.  How your thoughts are shaped by experience/expertise.

1 minute ago, icanthearyou said:

Of course.  That is the point.  But, you cannot simply claim expertise/experience.  You still have to have reasoning.  How your thoughts are shaped by experience/expertise.

No....but it can be a very good driver. 

17 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

No....but it can be a very good driver. 

@icanthearyou 

In the situation presented, experience in and of itself a very good driver of the arguments I've made previously in this thread. Experience is not irrelevant, nor was experience the argument, but it does support the s*** out of everything I've said. 

2 minutes ago, GunsmithAU said:

@icanthearyou 

In the situation presented, experience in and of itself a very good driver of the arguments I've made previously in this thread. Experience is not irrelevant, nor was experience the argument, but it does support the s*** out of everything I've said. 

If you say so.  You're the expert.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1