If America did Split, would you move?

DKW 86

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

It’s hard to ally with folks one thinks are too evil to coexist with. That’s the view driving this divide. Don’t assume we would get along as neighbors in this scenario, especially with the pending water crisis.

It would be interesting to see how the different regions would compete for population (young people).

Obama said the arc of history bends toward justice.  One could just as easily say the arc of history bends toward liberalism (small L).

But you are right concerning water and resources.  Fodder for conflict.

Edited by homersapien
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

BS. 

You've got it exactly backwards.

The left prefers individual authority (choice, gay marriage, etc.) while the right prefers authoritarian/institutional authority.

Just look at what's happening.  The right is is trying to reign in personal freedoms and restrict rights.

I’d say this is partly correct. The left wants individual rights on a small handful of things which include choice, gay marriage, etc. 

The right on the other hand wants more individual freedoms except for a handful of things. Mostly tied back to some religious belief that they hid behind. Also, I find it funny that people fall for the thinking that overturning RvW was about less government involvement and states rights. All they did is put it where they could interfere with individual freedom from a state level. 

I do lean conservative on most things, but I feel like you don’t get to pick and choose where you want the government to intervene based on some religious value that not everyone has.

To be honest I think some of Governor Abbot’s actions in the past year are going to haunt him. I know mainly conservatives that think he’s gone too far with some of his policies. But he might get re-elected if Beto is the challenger…he’s too extreme in the other direction.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, homersapien said:

BS. 

You've got it exactly backwards.

The left prefers individual authority (choice, gay marriage, etc.) while the right prefers authoritarian/institutional authority.

Just look at what's happening.  The right is is trying to reign in personal freedoms and restrict rights.

I will absolutely credit the broader acceptance of homosexuality and gay marriage to the left.  It’s something that should have happened long ago.  

Other than that, we’ll agree to disagree I guess.  Take the SCOTUS decisions this week for example - almost all of them remove power from an overreaching federal government that attempts to rule through EOs, judicial activism and other end arounds as opposed to following the constitution and legislating as needed.   

Being authoritative usually doesn’t mean decentralizing power.  

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

2 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

I’d say this is partly correct. The left wants individual rights on a small handful of things which include choice, gay marriage, etc. 

The right on the other hand wants more individual freedoms except for a handful of things. Mostly tied back to some religious belief that they hid behind. Also, I find it funny that people fall for the thinking that overturning RvW was about less government involvement and states rights. All they did is put it where they could interfere with individual freedom from a state level. 

I do lean conservative on most things, but I feel like you don’t get to pick and choose where you want the government to intervene based on some religious value that not everyone has.

To be honest I think some of Governor Abbot’s actions in the past year are going to haunt him. I know mainly conservatives that think he’s gone too far with some of his policies. But he might get re-elected if Beto is the challenger…he’s too extreme in the other direction.  

Interesting take, and I agree with most of your sentiments.  I also see some areas where the far right is going too far, but forced to choose, the right is by far the lessor of 2 evils.   

I think Abbot is in an interesting spot with regards to the border, but that’s where I see him mostly involved.   Are these the policies you are referring to, or is it other places?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoAU said:

Interesting take, and I agree with most of your sentiments.  I also see some areas where the far right is going too far, but forced to choose, the right is by far the lessor of 2 evils.   

I think Abbot is in an interesting spot with regards to the border, but that’s where I see him mostly involved.   Are these the policies you are referring to, or is it other places?

With Abbott it is mostly stuff that has involved schools, regarding the border...he's in a bad spot with how the federal government is leaving states out to dry. I don't think non border states realize how bad things are. 

But, I concur the right is by far the lessor of the two evils.

Edited by wdefromtx
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

With Abbott it is mostly stuff that has involved schools, regarding the border...he's in a bad spot with how the federal government is leaving states out to dry. I don't think non border states realize how bad things are. 

And I think nonborder states tend to exaggerate the issue.

5 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

I could conceivably agree with that, but it depends on how you define the "right". 

The current "right" is on the high road to fascism.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Probably not. My family is all in Alabama so it wouldn’t make sense to move away unless things got really nuts. 

I am afraid that it has already gone nutz. We just cant see it all at once from here. 

• Like 1

RvW, 15 Weeks, Nationally and Democratically made law by Congress, not imposed by the Judiciary is what should have happened 50 years ago or more.

Constitutionally, the Courts can only review law, they cannot create it. Alito and Ginsburg both said loudly that RvW was a Valid Decision that used bad logic. 

There is always a way to make things happen in DC. Make a deal, a political deal for these things. Act like Congress and the Senate and ******* legislate something. 

It is utterly hilarious that the people that have screamed about "Democracy and the Constitution" really act when we talk about all this. 

1) trump and the magats assaulted "Democracy and the Constitution" on 06-JAN-21, AND THEY DID. And we are actually putting them behind bars at a too slow for me rate. 
2) People want to physically nullify SCOTUS by trampling "Democracy and the Constitution" by packing SCOTUS.  If you agree with this YAASF. The Red guys would just rush in and pack it back to their liking next time they are in power. And then there we go circling the drain, back and forth with never ending packing of the court....MONSTROUSLY BAD IDEA
3) End the filibuster, This is not Constitutional, but Senate Rules since 1806. Just remember that it has served the Democratic Party very well over the last 216 years. Ending it means that, AGAIN, when the Red Guys get in power you cant stop the stupid then. 

If you want to amend the Constitution, then AMEND THE CONSTITUTION. I can already tell you that any convention called to amend will be instantly declared "fake, bogus, rigged" by one side. 

OR, we could just hire some sane people to go into the legislature and DO THEIR ******* JOBS. 

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

And I think nonborder states tend to exaggerate the issue.

Are you saying you think the “undocumented people” streaming across our border at record levels every single day is exaggerated???

3 minutes ago, GoAU said:

Are you saying you think the “undocumented people” streaming across our border at record levels every single day is exaggerated???

I’m saying the frantic behavior and tactics to address it are over the top.

19 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I’m saying the frantic behavior and tactics to address it are over the top.

Some of it might be, but do you agree that the federal government is completely disregarding their obligation to secure the border?  I really believe the current administration’s approach is negligent at best and criminal at worst.  Hopefully the mid term elections will drive some accountability.  

4 minutes ago, GoAU said:

Some of it might be, but do you agree that the federal government is completely disregarding their obligation to secure the border?  I really believe the current administration’s approach is negligent at best and criminal at worst.  Hopefully the mid term elections will drive some accountability.  

“Completing disregarding?” What would you like to see them do?

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

“Completing disregarding?” What would you like to see them do?

Enforce the law.  Secure the border.  Deport those that cross illegally.  Incentivize Mexico to keep the convoys out and do their part.  Basically everything that was working the last administration, and then some.  

Having a “border czar” that actually visit is the border for more than a cursory photo op would be a start….

6 minutes ago, GoAU said:

Enforce the law.  Secure the border.  Deport those that cross illegally.  Incentivize Mexico to keep the convoys out and do their part.  Basically everything that was working the last administration, and then some.  

Having a “border czar” that actually visit is the border for more than a cursory photo op would be a start….

Right. 🤣 https://www.cato.org/blog/trumps-border-policies-let-more-immigrants-sneak

On 7/1/2022 at 9:56 PM, homersapien said:

I could conceivably agree with that, but it depends on how you define the "right". 

The current "right" is on the high road to fascism.

I have ro wonder...If you had your way...complete power...or maybe not you, but somebody who could be in power who could reflect your views and disdain for those who disagree with you.....I dont think it would be a democracy you would favor really....I mean I dont see you reaching across the aisle much...lol..

So so what form of government would you have if it was all up to you?...how would you take care of the crazy conservatives?

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, GoAU said:

Information is meaningless and useless for those incapable of understanding it.

1 hour ago, GoAU said:

Poor logic. I didn’t say that. I’m saying you’re wrong to say Trump did a swell job you want Biden to emulate. 

5 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Poor logic. I didn’t say that. I’m saying you’re wrong to say Trump did a swell job you want Biden to emulate. 

No.  It is not poor logic.  It is just stupid.  If you look at the definition of "encountrers", you could make the case that the Biden administration is doing a much better job.

1 minute ago, icanthearyou said:

No.  It is not poor logic.  It is just stupid.  If you look at the definition of "encountrers", you could make the case that the Biden administration is doing a much better job.

Poor logic for him to deduce that’s what I’m saying.

2 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Poor logic for him to deduce that’s what I’m saying.

14 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Data disagrees with you.

Okay.  But for this,,, stupid.

• Like 1