Will Ja'Varrius Johnson's role continue to expand?

StatTiger

Though he only caught 19 passes last season, Ja'Varrius Johnson produced ten plays of 15+ yards. Johnson's 2021 season was limited due to injury, but he was targeted 37 times, with 65 percent occurring during the final five games of the season.

Johnson was moved around the field to isolate him on a single defender, who Johnson could exploit. He generated big plays from short passes and took the top off opposing defenses on the deep ball.

https://youtu.be/bZB8LNP5x2w

• Like 7

caught 19 passes last season,  but he was targeted 37 times,

So if I'm reading this right, he had a combination of drops/inaccurate passes that totaled 18? What am I missing?

• Like 1

So if I'm reading this right, he had a combination of drops/inaccurate passes that totaled 18? What am I missing?

His ratio for impact plays was better than Darvin Adams who was the best in school history. Should he double his targets this year, it could make a huge difference on offense. Anything under 1 out of 3 is really good. 

• Like 3

His ratio for impact plays was better than Darvin Adams who was the best in school history. Should he double his targets this year, it could make a huge difference on offense. Anything under 1 out of 3 is really good. 

The issue is that he only caught 50% of his targets. Was this from throwing error, drops, etc? it's obviously some combination, but that's an atrocious stat that takes a lot more impact to overcome if continued. 

• Thanks 1

The issue is that he only caught 50% of his targets. Was this from throwing error, drops, etc? it's obviously some combination, but that's an atrocious stat that takes a lot more impact to overcome if continued. 

I don't remember him being a bit drop guy.  If he stay's healthy I think he's a ~35 catch guy for 500yds.  End of the year I think he's our 2/3 leading receiver with Shed, possibly around the same stats but higher YPC.  I think Koy will be far and away our #1 target and be in the 7-800 yd range.

• Like 1

Bo was very inaccurate and rarely completed passes when he moved. 

Bo doesn't matter here. Most his targets were after bo, yet many if his impact plays were from Bo. 

I don't remember him being a bit drop guy.  If he stay's healthy I think he's a ~35 catch guy for 500yds.  End of the year I think he's our 2/3 leading receiver with Shed, possibly around the same stats but higher YPC.  I think Koy will be far and away our #1 target and be in the 7-800 yd range.

I don't remember that either, but it still is a problem. Even if not a drop it could be from not able to create separation or just as easily bad throws. I do remember him making some good deep ball catches in tight coverage though. 

Its a joke that koy could be our #1 guy. Dude transfered because of lack of PT and getting pushed down the depth chart. Why does it seem our 'best' receivers are other team leftovers? 

• Sad 1

Bo doesn't matter here. Most his targets were after bo, yet many if his impact plays were from Bo. 

In my opinion, Bo does matter in that we are discussing last years stats. Bo seemed to look for the same guys unless he noticed someone wide open or the play called for that particular throw. Running away from rushers greatly impacted who he saw also. He didn’t seem to be particularly proficient at finding people once he started running. Niether did TJ for that matter.

• Like 1

Surely Bo stats do matter. If he was targeted by Bo but missed, they are in the missed stats. If he was targeted by Bo and caught ( especially impact plays) they are in the receptions stats.

Surely Bo stats do matter. If he was targeted by Bo but missed, they are in the missed stats. If he was targeted by Bo and caught ( especially impact plays) they are in the receptions stats.

Most his targets were post bo. Hence why it was stated in my original comment. 

Saying bo was his issue, then ignoring that bo was a good amount of his impacts yet not a majority of his targets is insane.

Both QB's matter and it is a legitimate question as to what his percentage of completions was just barely above 50%. It is a legitimate question as to why percentage of completions was not higher but I don't have the answer as those statistics were not given to us so it is conjecture at this time. Basically once he got healthy and got a few games under his belt he started to produce. Based on that you should expect him to play a much bigger role this year. 

• Like 1

Most his targets were post bo. Hence why it was stated in my original comment. 

Saying bo was his issue, then ignoring that bo was a good amount of his impacts yet not a majority of his targets is insane.

I tried to look up these specific stats but was unable to pull it out. Saying Bo was a “good” amount is not a statistical reference but sounds like an opinion reference. I would also say that highest impact throws doesn’t negate the possibility that they (Bo stats) included the most misses/drops. I have no idea without seeing the stats. If you have them post them and it would certainly add clarity to the discussion.

51% of passes to JJ were completed. Nix's completion percentage on the year was 61% and Finley's was 54%. So JJ is pretty much in line with his QB's completion rates, especially if most of his targets were late in the season from Finley. 

Knowing where the targets were made on the field provides an actual explanation. Bo Nix completed about 44% of his passes beyond 20 yards of the LOS and Finley completed 31 percent. There is no indication that JJ had any "drop" issues. He was utilized in the deep passing game, so the completion percentage explains why he caught around 51 percent of his targeted passes. Cam Newton who was one of the top passers in the country in terms of efficiency, completed 44 percent of his pass attempts beyond 20-yards of the LOS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Knowing where the targets were made on the field provides an actual explanation. Bo Nix completed about 44% of his passes beyond 20 yards of the LOS and Finley completed 31 percent. There is no indication that JJ had any "drop" issues. He was utilized in the deep passing game, so the completion percentage explains why he caught around 51 percent of his targeted passes. Cam Newton who was one of the top passers in the country in terms of efficiency, completed 44 percent of his pass attempts beyond 20-yards of the LOS.

I never said he had a drop issue. This also works off the assumption that he was mainly used to throw deep yet many if the passes in your own video are not beyond 20 Yards from the LOS. with his small completion numbers, it takes away the assumption that his states are strictly from low percentage passes. 

I never blamed JJ for his huge target v catch rate discrepancy, only said that if he is to be a part of the O, the stat must improve. 

I never said he had a drop issue. This also works off the assumption that he was mainly used to throw deep yet many if the passes in your own video are not beyond 20 Yards from the LOS. with his small completion numbers, it takes away the assumption that his states are strictly from low percentage passes. 

I never blamed JJ for his huge target v catch rate discrepancy, only said that if he is to be a part of the O, the stat must improve. 

My theory is because he is a guy that can get separation and was thus sent on deep ball/explosive type of routes regularly, which happens to be the area that both Bo and TJ were least accurate in.

The crazy thing is that from watching film and even Ray Isaac's summer videos, Calzada seems to be the opposite. He hits deep balls in stride but is inaccurate on the shorter passes. Total opposite of Bo/TJ. Not sure if that makes things better or worse, but I'm excited to find out.

My theory is because he is a guy that can get separation and was thus sent on deep ball/explosive type of routes regularly, which happens to be the area that both Bo and TJ were least accurate in.

The crazy thing is that from watching film and even Ray Isaac's summer videos, Calzada seems to be the opposite. He hits deep balls in stride but is inaccurate on the shorter passes. Total opposite of Bo/TJ. Not sure if that makes things better or worse, but I'm excited to find out.

I honestly haven't watched much on ZC. But as a rule of thumb, never put any faith in a QB throwing against air. 

Hopefully this is a moot point come September and they tear it up on the field. 

I honestly haven't watched much on ZC. But as a rule of thumb, never put any faith in a QB throwing against air. 

So you think air is all that he has thrown against?

• Like 2

I wasn't just talking about the summer videos. Also his film from last year. He looked a lot better at passes 20+ yards downfield than passes 20 and in. Jmo