This makes me sick

Aubie16

Can anyone beat the Trojans in 2005?

Most believe that answer is a resounding no. There hasn't been a preseason college football poll publicized outside of Austin, Texas that doesn't have USC No. 1. Even if the Trojans lose a game, it'll most likely be considered a fluke and voters could easily have USC playing in the Rose Bowl, home of the national championship game, while an undefeated team plays elsewhere. And the Trojans are so ridiculously loaded that few will disagree with the realities of the system.

This is a quote from a long ESPN Insider article.

:puke::puke::puke:

I can't handle this much longer...

unbelievable..

they WILL lose THIS YEAR. i am positive. they're gonna feel all big beating "one of the SEC's best" (as they will soon call Arkansas) then they'll all say "we just dominated the SEC! Pac10 yay!" and we all know that will be bs. but thats beside the point...

they will lose to UCLA! or Cal! or Notre Dame! or ... STANFORD!!! :P

Well, they lost to UCLA last year but the PAC 10 officials wouldn't let it stand and made a call that awarded the game to USC. Anyone who watched that game couldn't help but see the bias. Was it strictly a ploy for dollars, knowing that a BCS game would be in the offing if USC won. We'll never know.

Well, they lost to UCLA last year but the PAC 10 officials wouldn't let it stand and made a call that awarded the game to USC.  Anyone who watched that game couldn't help but see the bias.  Was it strictly a ploy for dollars, knowing that a BCS game would be in the offing if USC won.  We'll never know.

171897[/snapback]

Bingo. I think that game ranks pretty high on my list on the "what game did you just lose it" thread. I just KNEW USC or OU was going to lose that day, and UCLA HAD them!

Yeah I felt strangely confident that UCLA was going to pull the upset that day. I was at the SECCG so I was unable to watch, but (because of my prediction) I asked my girlfriend to keep me updated on the scores via text messages on my phone. Since all I heard were the scores, I never realized it was THAT close. One bad call? ESPN's game summary doesn't fill me in very much. Can you give me the brief on what happened that made such a bad call?

Oh, and I am now changing my previous prediction to: UCLA will beat USC this year. Who's with me? :)

I don't see USC as being invincible either. They became a legend against Oklahoma who was vastly overrated. If we continue to win 10+ games routinely then the national media will give us more credit. Under the current system, the media counts.

We have simply folded in 1984 and 2003 when we were picked No. 1. We have the reputation of being a flash in the pan instead of a real fire. We just need another game against a national power and this time show up. If we can somehow really put up big numbers against LSU and hold them to single digits then that will get the media’s AND my attention. We need a breakthrough game.

they will lose to UCLA! or Cal! or Notre Dame! or ... STANFORD!!!  :P

171895[/snapback]

And when they do lose to one of these teams, you will quickly realize that these teams are real national powerhouses. Because they are, don't you agree?

And when they do lose to one of these teams, you will quickly realize that these teams are real national powerhouses.  Because they are, don't you agree?

171910[/snapback]

When has ND not been a super-duper powerhouse team?

I love the part where it says something like if USC loses, it will most likely be a fluke and not count against them. lol.

Gah.. I hope we stomp Ga Tech... then after I watch the game, I can't wait to watch Gameday or whatever it is called, and watch Trev and Mark May talk about how Ga Tech is so underrated. lol.

We have simply folded in 1984 and 2003 when we were picked No. 1. We have the reputation of being a flash in the pan instead of a real fire.

The 1984 and 2003 Tigers would have been a ten win team in the Pac Ten. Hell, I'm willing to bet that the 1998 Tigers would have been at least a six or seven win team in the Pac Ten. It's not easy to be the "real fire" in the SEC, with the exception of Auburn 1980's and Florida 1990's. We know that, Bama fans know that, LSU fans knoow that, and Georgia fans know that. Every year, SEC teams play agianst at least six or seven conference opponents who could beat them on any given day. Maybe more so sometimes.

What has UT done since winning it all in 1998? Have then been back to #1 since? What about Ohio State? What about FSU? What about Florida? The bottom line is that it's hard to be consistently top five year in and year out. Yes, Spurrier did it a few times but after the 1996 championship season, his Gators would never again play for a national championship.

I'm not going to beat this horse to death because I've already done so. You know how I feel about the Pac Ten and the Media.

And about this whole myth of Auburn never living up to expectations. Well, what about when we were ranked in the top ten in 1986, 1987, 1988, and 1994? Didn't we finish in the top ten that year where we were ranked in the preseason top ten? I think that we were ranked pretty high in 1997 and didn't disappoint.

You people really need to quit listening to Finebaum, it's not good for your health. That idiot is still beating the 1984 horse from the grave. He's stil beating the 2003 horse that is comotose.

Rarely do teams live up to preseason expectations. If you play in the Pac Ten and Big Twelve, as do USC and OU, living up to preseason epectations isn't hard. All you need to do is win one big game, OU against UT, and USC against Cal, and you get the Stanford's and the UCLA's of the world for the rest of the year.

I wouldn't count Arkansas out just yet. Nutt has proven in the past that he can get his team up for any game and after what happened last season, Nutt probably feels it incumbent upon himself and his Razorbacks to claim back some of the stolen valor from the SEC. Remember, Nutt and CTT are good friends and Nutt will need no extra motivation for this one. Now, will he have the talent to beat USC? Maybe not but if Stanford can take SC to the brink, then don't count out the Hogs just yet.

As far as this degenerate sports writer is concerned I have one word for you.

PLAYOFF PLAYOFF PLAYOFF PLAYOFF

Alex

I will pull for Arkansas to beat any out of conference team and some in conference teams if it helps Auburn

Did anyone else see the Fact or Fiction with Trev Alberts the other day? I can't remember who else was on it, but the question was, "Is the SEC overrated?" Three guesses what that idiot Trev Alberts said. He said last year was a down year for the SEC, too.

WTF?!?! :angry:

What's wrong with USC being top-ranked and highly regarded?

Don't they have the nation's longest winning streak?

They've shared or won the MNC for the past two years haven't they?

From all accounts, they are good sportsmen and their fans are also good sports.

I say they are king of the hill until knocked off.

Maybe this year the politicians will give us the chance to come knocking.

We had our chances, and didn't get the job done. I hate it as much as anyone, but what's done is done. Going 13-0 was phenominal and I can't express how damn proud I am of the 2004 Tigers.

The less time worrying about USC, the better. That's my $ 0.02.

WDE

172034[/snapback]

That doesn't upset me at all. They are a great team, and I have no problem with them being the pre-season number one.

This is the part that makes me want to puke...

Even if the Trojans lose a game, it'll most likely be considered a fluke and voters could easily have USC playing in the Rose Bowl, home of the national championship game, while an undefeated team plays elsewhere. And the Trojans are so ridiculously loaded that few will disagree with the realities of the system

Thats why i posted that excerpt... I agree they have a good team, and don't have a problem with the media saying so...but damn that part is a bit rediculous.

Exactly. According to this tool, USC could lose one and it would be a fluke. Yet, since AU didn't steamroll UA, UT and VT by 40 apiece, it hurt them in the eyes of the pollsters. AU just didn't do enough....BUT, it's okay if USC loses a game. :no:

It's one thing to be top ranked and highly regarded. It's  completely different when the media incessantly salivates over USC as if they are god's gift to college fotball, all the while condeming other schools like Auburn and the entire SEC for having a "down year" last year.

I would love to see USC win 15 games in-a-row in the SEC. Yes, they beat us in 2002 and 2003 but please, if these same Trojans struggle against teams like Stanford and UCLA, then don't you think that the "nation's longest winning streak" would have never taken place? Don't you think that if Stanford took them to the fourth quarter that teams like Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, or Florida would have finished the deal?

Question: In 2003 and 2004, did the Trojans play the best team from the best conference in America, teams such as LSU and Auburn who won 13 games respectively? Yes, this wasn't their fault. In both years, the BCS prevented these matchups. However, the NC in college football is a joke because we have the media and the BCS. Yes, they won the MNC but in my opinion, they were not the best team in either 2003 and 2004. The reason why so many Auburn and LSU fans are ticked about all of this USC exposure is that both group of fans believe that USC has not been challenged.

From all accounts? Are you referring to the USC fans who were chanting "Auburn Sucks" after the Orange Bowl? That wasn't a chant of defiance but a chant of fear. Yes, most of their fans are classy but not on all accounts.

As an Auburn fan, how exactly can you say that? Did or did we not go 13-0 last year too? If USC is king of the hill, then fine, but so are we. We have as much right to claim that status as USC does.

Either way, it's a new season here. In my opinion, noone is king of the hill just yet. Every team is 0-0, as is USC. I don't go by polls or by what bias journalist say. USC still has to play 12 games and win them all this year.

I hope so but I can assure you one thing: If Auburn runs the table again this year and #1 USC and #2 OU/Texas goes undefeated as well, then Auburn will once again be on the outside looking in. Then again, who knows, there is so much football to play, anything can happen.

Nice responses Alex.

Here is how I feel, USC has 1 championship behind them... for them to do it a second time will be VERY HARD. I don't think it will happen. They might make it to the game, but they won't win. :)

Someone asked about the one play that changed the outcome of the USC/UCLA game. I'll try to describe it from memory; forgive me if I don't get every detail in order.

USC had the ball on the UCLA side of the field and was driving. A USC player fumbled the ball, clearly, and on replay even more clearly. A UCLA player picked up or caught it and was headed to the endzone with nothing but green in his path. The officials blew the whistle and awarded the ball back to USC. The announcers were beside themselves!!!! This observer couldn't believe what he had just seen. I've seen many "questionable" calls in my 40+ years of watching football, but this wasn't questionable; it was the most biased call I have ever seen made. The only explanation that I could imagine at the time and still is that the outcome of the game was predetermined. USC was going to a top flight BCS bowl game and would bring the PAC 10 a gazillion dollars to share among the schools. UCLA had four losses and was going nowhere special; their bowl revenues would be minimal. When that play occurred, late in the game, it was like the officials said, "oh S**T", we can't let that happen!!!! No other explanation fits what my eyes observed. USC drove the ball for another TD and the call resulted in a 14 point swing in an otherwise very close game.

What surprised me is that there wasn't a really big stink about it after the game, or the next week. Is the PAC 10's influence over their member schools such that they aren't allowed to protest? Did someone in UCLA's top management accept the loss and the extra half-million or so dollars in bowl revenue as being a worthwhile trade-off? If there is another plausable explanation, I would love to hear it.

Don't you think that if Stanford took them to the fourth quarter that teams like Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, or Florida would have finished the deal?

172050[/snapback]

I believe if you were to poll anyone in the nation for the 15-20 teams in the country with the most realistic chances of getting to the Rose Bowl, you would find these five teams on almost everyone's list. That's practically half the conference! Throw in the occasional Bama vote, and it IS literally half the conference!

I challenge any other conference to produce that many of its members that have legitimate shots at the BCS MNC! And I challenge any of those "other teams" around the country to play in this conference and look as constantly good as those SEC teams do year in and year out!

I would definately quit my job if that happenes...biggest upset in the past 5 eyars of college football if it happens! :no:   :no:   :no:

172139[/snapback]

Be prepared to have a lot of free time then! :big:

Archived