How I would handle Harsin

alabastertiger

If I was in charge I would call Harsin into my office and tell him you're fired.   We can handle this 1 of 2 ways.   1.  We announce that you are fire and will be replaced by an interim coach, but you agree to take 4 million off of the buyout.   Option 2.  We announce that you will not be retained after this season, but you will coach the team for the rest of the games.   That means you will continue to take these butt whipping each and every week and we'll see who want to hire you after this season.   Which option do you want?

• Dislike 1

Any sane person is going to take option 2.  It's not like the perception of him changes by sticking around.

Edited by dyehardfanAU

Why would anybody take option 1? Everybody’s taking option 2, you’re not going to fire me early and reduce my pay. Give me the full amount of money I’m owed. I’ll be okay 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Why would anybody take option 1? Everybody’s taking option 2, you’re not going to fire me early and reduce my pay. Give me the full amount of money I’m owed. I’ll be okay 

I can't think of his name but a coach at a mid west school not to long ago agreed to take less of a buyout, and there is a chance that we don't win another game.   That would hurt an already bad image of Harsin.   

• Facepalm 1

13 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Any sane person is going to take option 2.  It's not like the perception of him changes by sticking around.

I agree with you.   He probably would stick around, but I would announce that he is not being retained and make him take the beatings for the rest of the year.

18 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

If I was in charge I would call Harsin into my office and tell him you're fired.   We can handle this 1 of 2 ways.   1.  We announce that you are fire and will be replaced by an interim coach, but you agree to take 4 million off of the buyout.   Option 2.  We announce that you will not be retained after this season, but you will coach the team for the rest of the games.   That means you will continue to take these butt whipping each and every week and we'll see who want to hire you after this season.   Which option do you want?

In the above scenario, you're getting the finger as I walk out the door AND you're paying me 100% of the buyout in accordance with the terms of my contract.  

There are no either/or options at this point and there's no reduction of the contract terms if I'm Harsin.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

I agree with you.   He probably would stick around, but I would announce that he is not being retained and make him take the beatings for the rest of the year.

So announce publicly that he's being fired but still expect him to coach the remainder of the year? This isn't Orgeron and LSU. He'd dip and I wouldn't blame him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

In the above scenario, you're getting the finger as I walk out the door AND you're paying me 100% of the buyout in accordance with the terms of my contract.  

There are no either/or options at this point and there's no reduction of the contract terms if I'm Harsin.  

LOL, you're probably right ... nope you're definitely right, but I would still handle it this way

4 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

So announce publicly that he's being fired but still expect him to coach the remainder of the year? This isn't Orgeron and LSU. He'd dip and I wouldn't blame him.

Then that's on him and his reputation right?   He wants to quit then he can quit, but it's on him.

35 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

And he will laugh all the way to the bank saying , fire me then, with 100 percent buy out 

Edited by DAG
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

Then that's on him and his reputation right?   He wants to quit then he can quit, but it's on him.

His reputation will be fine. We look like the bad guys here. Meddling boosters, unreasonable expectations from fanbase, fanbase starting salacious rumors about his family.

It looks very similar to Willie Taggart's time at FSU. Where most outsiders think he didn't get a fair chance.

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

Amazes me that coaches can suck at their job and not be fired for cause. Instead they are rewarded either way. Talk about a dream profession.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, clwn said:

Amazes me that coaches can suck at their job and not be fired for cause. Instead they are rewarded either way. Talk about a dream profession.

that, and being a tenured professor/teacher...obviously the coaches get paid far more

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

He's not quitting and walking away from $16million.

We don't know how the nation feels about Harsin's reputation. 

We DO know how they feel about Auburn's reputation.  They feel Harsin has never been supported at Auburn, that the Auburn Administration stabbed him in the back when someone in the AD leaked the investigation in February and drug his family through the mud.  They believe the Auburn booster network runs Auburn Athletics and they never backed the man and tried to find cause to fire him 7 months ago so they wouldn't have to pay his buyout.  They view Auburn's reputation relative to our Administration as a flipping clown-show with zero honor or integrity with shady boosters working behind the scenes who angle to get their way. 

Hard to believe Harsin winds up in a lateral move situation.   Most coaches don't after cratering a program on and off(recruiting) the field.   Maybe some program will appreciate a coach that hates recruiting.  Taggart may have been treated poorly but he is at Florida Atlantic now.   

Edited by casatiger

5 minutes ago, casatiger said:

Hard to believe Harsin winds up in a lateral move situation.   Most coaches don't after cratering a program on and off(recruiting) the field.   Maybe some program will appreciate a coach that hates recruiting.  Taggart may have been treated poorly but he is at Florida Atlantic now.   

Auburn is the most high-profile job Harsin will ever get.  It's big time SEC football and the exposure the SEC brand brings to college football is immeasurable.  He hit his pinnacle when he got the Auburn job.

He will still find compassion elsewhere and a west coast/mid-west program may pursue him.  All he has to do in his interview is point to a dysfunctional Auburn Administration and he can say "I had zero support & I couldn't navigate their booster network", so I failed in my short stint......

1 hour ago, alabastertiger said:

I would add a heavy lean.  If the debate continues concerning the inquiry from February, the university will have no choice other than to be 100% transparent as to the reason for said inquiry.  Take it as you will.

Getting embarrassed every weekend isn't going to hurt his resume, EVERYONE knows he was not the choice the boosters wanted as Coach, and because of that he has been set up to fail.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, j0hnnyRingo said:

Getting embarrassed every weekend isn't going to hurt his resume, EVERYONE knows he was not the choice the boosters wanted as Coach, and because of that he has been set up to fail.

I know I keep seeing folks saying he was set up to fail, I know they made his job a lot harder but he still is the coach and my argument is if he was a good coach then we would not be the train wreck that we are. It was HIS decision as to the offensive/defensive coordinators, it was HIS decision as to who to go after in the portal, it was HIS decision as to lackluster recruiting and not reaching out to HS coaches, its HIS decision as to gameplan and in game adjustments...on and on...

I agree that his job was made more difficult but there is plenty to lay at his feet, he has simply shown that he is not that good of a coach at least for the SEC at this point in time, he has nothing to show in the positive column for the most part at all.

Edited by bishoptf
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

50 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

That’s exactly right.  I’m weary of nonsensical scenarios.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TeganInbama said:

unreasonable expectations from fanbase

LOL

Like.... score in the 2nd half maybe twice a year vs SEC opponents?

Or not have the worst recruiting rankings for Auburn since recruiting classes have been ranked?

Very unreasonable.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1