Is Auburn the toughest place to be a coach in college football?

tbone4jc

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

No, it's a stupid narrative.  Let me name a few places that it is a million times harder.  Vandy, USCe, Kansas, Illinois, Nebraska, and multiple dozen other non-p5 schools.

1. Recruiting - We are in the center of the most talent rich area in the country.  There is enough talent for us to be in the top 10 yearly as long as we put in a little bit of effort.  Gus was able to do it 
  2. Schedule - Every other school in the SEC has our issue.  No matter what side you're in, you have to go against both two the SEC.  It also hasn't stopped us in the past.  Stop being scared of Bama/UGA.  They are beatable every year.
  3. Expectations - We haven't had back to back 10 win season in over 30 years.  Our "expectations" aren't that unreasonable.  Lets be honest...If you win 9 games and beat Bama/UGA every now and then, you're good.

So, are you saying this job is a walk in the park? JK I know you are not implying that. But thanks for calling this a stupid narrative just because you don’t agree. 👏🏼

CGM recruited for star rating. This we had so many TE’s, WR’s, and other skill positions but OLine suffered, obviously.  How many of the highly rated players that committed to us panned out? We get very few 5* or highly rated 4* players and the ones we get usually flopped. CTT did not have many top ten recruiting classes but was much better at evaluating talent and getting the most from his players

Who said anything about being scared? It is talked about year after year that Auburn always has one of the toughest schedules in the country and yes, Bama, Ga and LSU attributes to reasons why.

Expectations-very few Auburn fans are happy with beating the big three every “now and then” and most expected us to be as good as Bama before Ga and now Tenn. You  read the forums  right? When have you ever read a forum where some stated 8-9 wins is a good season? CGM got fired because he avg 8 wins, amongst other things, and he beat Bama every other year. 

Auburn is indeed a very hard job. We have great years here and there, thus the expectations, but just cannot maintain success. I really hope we finally get a coach that can that can take advantage and fulfill the potential of all that Auburn has to offer  but I just don’t have faith that we will, given our track record. Here’s to hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Nope! Auburn has competed very well in SECw over the years (although not so much recently). But I can think of dozens of places that are WAY more difficult.

For Auburn, the issue is not the difficulty of the schedule, it's the competence of the coaching staff. Auburn has played Bama, UGA and LSU for a very long time. Auburn has won against those teams a lot of times.

I agree with the above post regarding directional schools, but among Power5, just consider teams that used to be great and have been in the dumps for years. Colorado, Nebraska, Texas A&M. Then there are the ones that historically have been Power5 fodder -- Vandy, U Mass, Hawaii, Temple, New Mexico & New Mexico St, Nevada, S Florida, Rutgers, Colorado State, Utah State, etc.

Auburn is not the toughest place to coach -- for a good coach.

It is a really tough place to coach for a coach who is not competent for the challenge. Like, um, Harsin.

I think A&M is more of an anomaly and perplexing than AU. 

A&M:

Ridiculous money and facilities to match 

Passionate fanbase 

Recruiting hotbed 

Last national championship: 1939

SEC Championships: 0

SEC West Championships: 0