Sanders all ‘Primetime’ when asked about being linked to Auburn coaching vacancy

aubiefifty

Deion Sanders all ‘Primetime’ when asked about being linked to Auburn head coaching vacancy

Updated: Nov. 02, 2022, 1:42 p.m.|Published: Nov. 02, 2022, 1:04 p.m.
3 minutes

A day after Auburn fired Bryan Harsin, Deion Sanders - considered a potential candidate for the job - was asked if he had been contacted by the Tigers.

The Jackson State coach was pure “Primetime.”

“I’ve heard from the Tigers ... Jackson State Tigers,” Sanders quipped during his weekly press conference. “I thought you was talking about Jackson State, my bad. Freudian slip.”

RELATED: Sanders told “GameDay” he would entertain offers

Despite the questions about Auburn, Sanders chose to deflect and make it about his SWAC program.

“That’s a blessing — that’s truly a blessing,” Sanders said when asked about the Power 5 attention he is getting. “Sorry to interrupt, but I’ve got to get these points out. I don’t think too many African-American coaches from the HBCU has ever been attached to anything concerning the Power Five, so that’s truly a blessing.

“We love to do things that hadn’t been done around here in Jackson State, and this is another prevalent thing that hadn’t been done that we’re doing.”

RELATED: Lane Kiffin reacts to being potential candidate for Auburn job

At the end of the day, the attention is nothing new for Sanders.

“My name has been attached to many things in life, also a whole lot of headlines, so this ain’t new to me — I’m good,” Sanders said. “I’ve just got to make sure our coaches stay locked in and focused, as well as the kids. But attention and exposure, I’m not new to this. Great question, though.”

On Saturday, as a guest on ESPN’s “College GameDay,” Sanders said he would entertain offers.

“First, I have to stay focused,” Sanders said. “I have to maximize these moments and continue to dominate those moments. When we cross that hurdle, we’ll cross that hurdle. I’d be a fool and a liar to tell you I wouldn’t entertain those things because I am. But I have made no plans to move. Have made no plans to go anywhere. I have made plans to dominate today.”

Auburn fired Harsin on Monday after less than two full seasons. Harsin went 9-12 overall and 3-5 this year. Auburn has lost four straight games while struggling against Power Five opponents, including a 41-27 loss to Arkansas on Oct. 29.

Mark Heim is a sports reporter for The Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Mark_Heim.

"When we cross that hurdle, we’ll cross that hurdle." 

Deion Sanders GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

That was handled well and exactly what he should be saying, regardless of the outcome in a month or so.

Indeed.  All he said was basically:  I am listening, but we are focused on Jackson State right now.  That is all that needs to be said, and all any reporter should be expecting to get.  Hopefully, he does not go pine box Tuberville on them, then show up at Auburn two days later.

• Like 1

I’d be a fool and a liar to tell you I wouldn’t entertain those things because I am."

"I am"? Not I would?  That present tense might be a Freudian slip. I hope he has been contacted, at least, and is giving it serious consideration.

Edited by jordanharehaint
Left out a word
  • Like 3