Allegedly both Franklin and Dabo have spoken to Auburn

AU-24

IMO, Auburn should do what is necessary to bring Dan Lanning back to the SEC before he gets too dug in on the left coast. 

When we examine the behemoth football programs over the past 30-40 years, the difference between good teams, even great teams, and perennial behemoth championship teams is a defensive head coach who built a suffocating defense.  Auburn needs to hire a great defensive coach, not a flashy offensive guy.  Dan Lanning has the defensive coaching background AND the SEC pedigree & recruiting experience having coached under Kirby at Bama & GA.  Yes, offense in 2022 is fast and fun, and it still sells tickets; but, defense still wins championships. 

Lanning is going to build a juggernaut championship program somewhere, and I'd like him to do that at Auburn, not Oregon, or, even worse, some other SEC competitor. 

NoteYes, I watched his "denial video", and heard what he said, but I also watched his very twitchy non-verbals as he much too vehemently used lots of "reasons" why he wouldn't leave Oregon, but never actually denied interest in the Auburn job.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AU Is Gold said:

I feel like the reason Dabo doesn't like the transfer portal and NIL is because maybe Clemson is about to get left behind. It's probably an unlikely scenario for him to come to Auburn, but if he does, he would be a monster hire. And I would look at the ones turning their nose up as fools. 

He doesn’t like it bc he’s one of those stiff traditionalists. He is GOING to have to leave that behind or he is not worth hiring if we intend on competing. This isn’t the mid 2010s NCAA and past titles do not dictate how he can adapt to it (this post isn’t necessarily directed to you, just more Dabo ranting lol)

16 minutes ago, lovemytigerz said:

NoteYes, I watched his "denial video", and heard what he said, but I also watched his very twitchy non-verbals as he much too vehemently used lots of "reasons" why he wouldn't leave Oregon, but never actually denied interest in the Auburn job.

Did he blink I-WILL-ACCEPT in Morse Code  with his eyelids? 

Edited by EagleEye67
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Us Alabasterdians don't like people from Pelham or Hoover.  Helena is okay but not Pelham or Hoover.

Fine it’s on. I’ll move my Hoover armies south, you move your Alabasterds north, and we will settle this in Pelham. If we lay waste to Pelham I’m fine with that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

Did he blink I-WILL-ACCEPT in Morse Code  with his eyelids? 

Almost!  He was certainly very nervous, and his eyebrows were all over the place.  I've watched other video of him, and that didn't happen.

His denial was not convincing.

20 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

My biggest fear:

- Dabo gives a verbal commitment to AU to be our next HC.

-AU believes that and quits the coaching search, driving away Kiffin and Freeze.

- Clemson wins the natty, giving Dabo his 3rd at Clemson.

- Dabo decides in late February to stay at Clemson, and we lose out on Kiffin and Freeze.

We wind up with Rhett Lashlee or some other stiff.

In other words, JABA.

Please, talk me off the ledge.

New sheriff in town. Doesn’t look like he is the type that will allow this to happen.

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, The lions roar said:

Fine it’s on. I’ll move my Hoover armies south, you move your Alabasterds north, and we will settle this in Pelham. If we lay waste to Pelham I’m fine with that.

You will all perish in flames.

Back in 2007, Alabama essentially wrote out a blank check for Nick Saban.  He immediately became the highest paid coach in college football.  It was an astronomical amount of money, at the time.  But, they were willing to do whatever it took to return their team to greatness.  Obviously, Auburn has money to spend.  We have spent millions and millions to send coaches packing in the last few years. 

I'm not sure whether Lane Kiffin will be our next coach, or not.  But I don't understand paying him the amount of money it is going to take in order to pull him away from Ole Miss.  I don't understand why Auburn doesn't offer Dabo Swinney, an absurd amount of money, say 12-13 million and make him refuse to take it.  He has more of a track record of success than Lane Kiffin.  I would rather us pay obscene amounts of money to hire coaches than pay that money to fire coaches.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, miscram6 said:

Back in 2007, Alabama essentially wrote out a blank check for Nick Saban.  He immediately became the highest paid coach in college football.  It was an astronomical amount of money, at the time.  But, they were willing to do whatever it took to return their team to greatness. 

They threw money at their second choice to not get their feelings hurt being told no again. It played out very well in their favor, but saying they showed up with a blank check to get the greatest of all time isn’t how that played out.

6 minutes ago, kwagoner said:

They threw money at their second choice to not get their feelings hurt being told no again. It played out very well in their favor, but saying they showed up with a blank check to get the greatest of all time isn’t how that played out.

Who was #1 again?

On 11/19/2022 at 11:00 AM, AEAugirl said:

I was at Auburn when we took Brother Oliver from Bama.  ‘‘Twas magnificent. 

After his playing days were over, Oliver was coaching high school football in Etowah County. Coach Jordan hired him to coach DB's at Auburn and that gave Oliver his first opportunity to coach college football. After Shug retired I lost track of Brother Oliver until he showed up as DC at Tuskaloser some years later.

He had a good football mind.

11 minutes ago, kwagoner said:

Rich Rodrigez 😬

Rita Rodriguez is why Saban is in Tuscaloosa. Rich had accepted the job and hours later his wife Rita said she didn't want to move to Tuscaloosa. So they stayed at West Virginia. In 2007, they had to beat a bad Pitt team and they would play for the Natty. It all fell apart in that game and they lost. They were undefeated going into that last game. Pat White and Steve Slayton were QB and RB on that team. West Virginia was still Big East back then. We went and played them in 2008 at their place and we were up 17-0 at half. They scored 34 unanswered and beat us 34-17. Rich later got the Michigan job and FLOPPED!!!!

I remember Alabama fans wore shirts that said "Thank you Rita Rodriguez" because if not for her, Saban never gets the call and they never have this dynasty. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

After his playing days were over, Oliver was coaching high school football in Etowah County. Coach Jordan hired him to coach DB's at Auburn and that gave Oliver his first opportunity to coach college football. After Shug retired I lost track of Brother Oliver until he showed up as DC at Tuskaloser some years later.

He had a good football mind.

I nearly took Coach Oliver's head off with a wayward tee shot on hole 18 at the Willow Pointe golf course on Lake Martin back in 2014. He heard me yell fore and turned around about the time my ball landed within 5 feet of him. I caught up with him at the clubhouse to apologize and he was laughing about it. Then he told me a joke that I can't repeat here and then went on about his day.  He was a pretty cool guy.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2022 at 10:55 PM, woodford said:

I don’t think Auburn is that stupid and that’s quite going out on a limb given recent history. 

The Auburn Athletic Dept is open under new management.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, watsontiger98 said:

How have the three coaches I loathe the most ended up on the list? Dabo, Meyer, and Franklin are all awful.

The good news is that the only list either of these three are on is the fluctuating wishlist of some few posters on this message board.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Rita Rodriguez is why Saban is in Tuscaloosa. Rich had accepted the job and hours later his wife Rita said she didn't want to move to Tuscaloosa. So they stayed at West Virginia. In 2007, they had to beat a bad Pitt team and they would play for the Natty. It all fell apart in that game and they lost. They were undefeated going into that last game. Pat White and Steve Slayton were QB and RB on that team. West Virginia was still Big East back then. We went and played them in 2008 at their place and we were up 17-0 at half. They scored 34 unanswered and beat us 34-17. Rich later got the Michigan job and FLOPPED!!!!

I remember Alabama fans wore shirts that said "Thank you Rita Rodriguez" because if not for her, Saban never gets the call and they never have this dynasty. 

Ruined my business plan of selling houndstooth sombreros.

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, watsontiger98 said:

How have the three coaches I loathe the most ended up on the list? Dabo, Meyer, and Franklin are all awful.

5 titles between them and the only guy to win 9+ games at Vandy twice in the modern era (I’m pretty sure). 

• Like 1

Dabo is the 2nd best coach in the world.  We would be crazy not to take him. However, I can’t understand why he would want to leave clempson. Maybe to stick it to us when Sabin retires? Anyway I would still take him. 

11 hours ago, miscram6 said:

Back in 2007, Alabama essentially wrote out a blank check for Nick Saban.  He immediately became the highest paid coach in college football.  It was an astronomical amount of money, at the time.  But, they were willing to do whatever it took to return their team to greatness.  Obviously, Auburn has money to spend.  We have spent millions and millions to send coaches packing in the last few years. 

I'm not sure whether Lane Kiffin will be our next coach, or not.  But I don't understand paying him the amount of money it is going to take in order to pull him away from Ole Miss.  I don't understand why Auburn doesn't offer Dabo Swinney, an absurd amount of money, say 12-13 million and make him refuse to take it.  He has more of a track record of success than Lane Kiffin.  I would rather us pay obscene amounts of money to hire coaches than pay that money to fire coaches.

Agree . Last night is a good example. 3 weeks ago in Caddy’s first game after taking this disaster of a season over he took Ms St to over time and lost at their house. Last night Kiffin lost in regular time to Ms St at ole miss’s house. So tell me why we shouldn’t believe Caddy can and will do as good as Lane. And the advantage is Caddy won’t be embarrassing us with his mouth like Lane will?