Kiffin facts

LPTiger

2012  USC.   This was Kiffin's 3rd year at USC.   He returned 18 starters from a 10 win team and 13 all conference players.   The Trojans were preseason #1.   But, for the first time since the 1964 Ole Miss Rebels, the preseason number 1 finished the year unranked.   Kiffin was 7-6, lost 5 of his last 6 and finished the year with 3 straight losses.   He was fired the following year.

2018 Florida Atlantic.    This was Kiffin's 2nd year at FA.  In 2017 he was undefeated in conference play and won 11 overall.   In 18, he was predicted to win his division.   He finished 5-7 overall and 5th in his division.   He lost 4 of his last 6.

2022 OM.   Following another 10 win season, Kiffin would drop 4 of his last 5 games, one by 25 points, and one by 15 after scoring 21 4th Q points after the game had been decided.   He was favored in 2 of the games and the 3rd was a pick-em.

• Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

2012  USC.   This was Kiffin's 3rd year at USC.   He returned 18 starters from a 10 win team and 13 all conference players.   The Trojans were preseason #1.   But, for the first time since the 1964 Ole Miss Rebels, the preseason number 1 finished the year unranked.   Kiffin was 7-6, lost 5 of his last 6 and finished the year with 3 straight losses.   He was fired the following year.

2018 Florida Atlantic.    This was Kiffin's 2nd year at FA.  In 2017 he was undefeated in conference play and won 11 overall.   In 18, he was predicted to win his division.   He finished 5-7 overall and 5th in his division.   He lost 4 of his last 6.

2022 OM.   Following another 10 win season, Kiffin would drop 4 of his last 5 games, one by 25 points, and one by 15 after scoring 21 4th Q points after the game had been decided.   He was favored in 2 of the games and the 3rd was a pick-em.

You can put a spin on anything to make a point. You fail to point out how many star players left said team due to graduation or the NFL. Just because you havesaid amount of returning players doesn’t automatically equate to the same type of production by the previous team. Injuries and other factors can lead to a season where expectations are not met. Hell, and to go by what reporters predict is not something to hang your hat in prove a point. Tell me how many SEC teams have had 2 RBs go for over 200 yards in the same game? The only thing I worry about  with LK is the defense side of the ball. If he hires the righ DC then Auburn will be very, very good.

Edited by tbone4jc
  • Like 2

Guest MustardSeed
4 minutes ago, AUfan3333 said:

Thank you LP for posting that. I’ve been saying he’s not the answer. He might give you one good year and then a bunch of average years like we can get from other coaches.

Just like Gus as people were figuring out his offense. Throw together one amazing and then fall flat the very next week. Rinse and repeat.  Someone may want to tell LK that analytics don’t won’t when the other team can do them also and therefore predict what you’re doing when they know you’ll do what the computer says…

1 minute ago, tbone4jc said:

You can put a spin on anything to make a point. You fail to point out how many star players left said team due to graduation or the NFL. Just because you return said amount of returning players doesn’t automatically equate to the same type of production by the previous team. Injuries and other factors can lead to a season where expectations are not met. Hell, and to go by what reporters predict is not something to hang your hat in prove a point. Tell me how many SEC teams have had 2 RBs go for over 200 yards in the same game? The only thing I worry about  with LK is the defense side of the ball. If he hires the righ DC then Auburn will be very, very good.

Spin=facts.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Just like Gus as people were figuring out his offense. Throw together one amazing and then fall flat the very next week. Rinse and repeat.  Someone may want to tell LK that analytics don’t won’t when the other team can do them also and therefore predict what you’re doing when they know you’ll do what the computer says…

AND like Gus, he gets into the red zone and loses his noodle. Then when he fails to score inside the red zone, any 4th Down & 3 or less, it’s an automatic go for it. A 4th FG instead of going for it on 4th & 2 wins the game last night. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

AND like Gus, he gets into the red zone and loses his noodle. Then when he fails to score inside the red zone, any 4th Down & 3 or less, it’s an automatic go for it. A 4th FG instead of going for it on 4th & 2 wins the game last night. 

Calling two timeouts on the two point conversion blew my mind. You are cutting out one of your three outs to win the game with that move. 

Edited by AU Is Gold
Grammar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

He’s the best coach on the market right now. Cherry picking bad seasons to fit your narrative isn’t how you should analyze this data. He’s won almost 70% if his games at Ole Miss, which is one of the better records in their program’s history, and he took FAU that’s was terrible before and after him to conference championships 2 of his 3 years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

15 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

Calling two timeouts on the two point conversion blew my mind. You are cutting out one of your three outs to win the game with that move. 

Exactly what I thought. He had the entire drive to be thinking of a two-point conversion play call. And a HUNH offense lollygagged to the LOS.

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

All true. Who is your top candidate?

I think Kiffin is an upgrade over the previous coach. If selected I just understand what comes with the territory. Deion is a wildcard and definitely will be the needle moving hire. Freeze has a better winning percentage than LK and Lanning looks like the real deal. With so much smoke and mirrors who knows what’s gonna happen

we can speculate all we want but at the end of the day no one knows for sure how well kiff will do. i understand he is a quick fix but i refuse to lose site of championships and he will have to prove something to me. i am not anti kiff i am just being realistic. i will support whomever the next coach is until they show me they cannot get it done. and if OM is lagging on NIL then i hope that is a big different with him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone4jc said:

You can put a spin on anything to make a point. You fail to point out how many star players left said team due to graduation or the NFL. Just because you havesaid amount of returning players doesn’t automatically equate to the same type of production by the previous team. Injuries and other factors can lead to a season where expectations are not met. Hell, and to go by what reporters predict is not something to hang your hat in prove a point. Tell me how many SEC teams have had 2 RBs go for over 200 yards in the same game? The only thing I worry about  with LK is the defense side of the ball. If he hires the righ DC then Auburn will be very, very good.

"He had 2 RB's go over 200 yards in the same game"

You mean the game against Arkansas last week where his offense put up like 700 yards and he still got skull drug by an average Arkansas team? That game? The game where he was down 34-6 before he even knew what hit him? 

His offense put up huge numbers but he was getting blown out because he couldn't do anything when he got into the redzone. It was his problem last night as well. Going into last night's game, his team was 94th in redzone scoring. I'm sure he dropped them below 100th after last nights game.

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

we can speculate all we want but at the end of the day no one knows for sure how well kiff will do. i understand he is a quick fix but i refuse to lose site of championships and he will have to prove something to me. i am not anti kiff i am just being realistic. i will support whomever the next coach is until they show me they cannot get it done. and if OM is lagging on NIL then i hope that is a big different with him.

I saw an article last night that said Ole Miss's NIL funds went over $10 million. That's another reason their fans are so pissed at Lane is because he supposedly said he needed X amount of dollars in NIL funds to compete, as well as a few other things. Ole Miss put everything he asked for into place and their NIL funds exceeded what he actually asked for. And he still won't sign the extension as of last night. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

I saw an article last night that said Ole Miss's NIL funds went over $10 million. That's another reason their fans are so pissed at Lane is because he supposedly said he needed X amount of dollars in NIL funds to compete, as well as a few other things. Ole Miss put everything he asked for into place and their NIL funds exceeded what he actually asked for. And he still won't sign the extension as of last night. 

Isn’t that pledged money, not necessarily the actual fund?

3 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Believe so.

4 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Isn't our supposed number just pledges at this point as well?  I genuinely do not know.

Edited by dyehardfanAU

2 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Over $10 million pledged to their NIL fund. Which brought it to more than what Kiffin said he needed. 

3 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

He’s the best coach on the market right now. Cherry picking bad seasons to fit your narrative isn’t how you should analyze this data. He’s won almost 70% if his games at Ole Miss, which is one of the better records in their program’s history, and he took FAU that’s was terrible before and after him to conference championships 2 of his 3 years. 

The biggest question mark for me was his time at USC.  Pete Carroll had the program rolling and in LK's first year he won one less game that Carroll the year before.   No big deal.   Second year he improved a little.   In his 3rd year they had 13 ALL CONFERENCE players returning, 18 starters returning and a returning QB.   And, he loses 6 games.   I understand losing games in a rebuilding year, but this was year 3 and he nearly a1/3 of the conference's all conference players.   And, he tanked at the end of the year.   And, he was fired.  His SEC wining percentage at Ole Miss is .56 i.e. just above .500.   Take away 3 victories over Vanderbilt and he is exactly at 11-11 in the SEC.  He is 1-2 against us!!!!   What is his best SEC win -- a 2021 win over a 6-7 LSU team?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

The main point here is Ole Miss was forced into a 'put up' or 'shut up' situation. They would not have collected that $10 million NIL fund without a somewhat veiled threat from Kiffin. Make of that what you will but OM supporters are not going to bend over backwards without being pushed. Not sure if the motive makes any difference to LK or not.   JMO  WDE  

• Like 1

I really have doubts about Lane and success.  I hope I am wrong if he becomes our coach.  I don't like his Defenses nor his recruiting (not to be confused with portal).  You have to have a good recruiting track in the SEC not just portal.  Have to have freshmen coming into your program.  I have concerns with him and hope that we don't give a long term deal to any coach until they prove they can sustain a program...just my opinion but I think if we hire him we will be wanting him gone in a few years.