Thoughts on the SI.com Top 25?

AuNuma1

SI.com Top 25

Our SEC Champion, 13-0 Tigers are placed one spot ahead of the 9-3 Fresno St bulldogs. And don't forget 7-5 Wyoming cracked their top 25! WTF???? :o

1 USC

2 Texas

3 Florida

4 Michigan

5 Tennessee

6 Miami

7 Oklahoma

8 Ohio State

9 Virginia Tech

10 Georgia

11 Louisville

12 Iowa

13 LSU

14 Texas A&M

15 Florida State

16 Boise State

17 Cal

18 Auburn

19 Fresno State

20 Arizona State

21 Pitt

22 Purdue

23 Bowling Green

24 Colorado

25 Wyoming

Nice little stat at the bottom our page too. :D

Telling Number: 11.3

-Points per game allowed by the Tigers last season, fewest in the nation. Second-rated Virginia Tech yielded 12.8.

Man, LSU didn't get a lot of love here either with that many starters returning. And Florida #3 :blink: WTF.

Of course, there's the team we beatch slapped 3 times in the last 2 years sitting pretty at #5. Oh well... :gofig:

Iowa was getting major love at first in polls, now Iowa seems to have fallen in some recent polls. Until Florida gets a better defense, I am not sold on them. Maybe they are better this year. I mean, they got beat by MISSISSIPPI ST. last year. Hehe. Tennessee will be good, but I doubt they are top 5. Besides us, :) , LSU is probably 2nd-in the sec- in my eyes.

Iowa was getting major love at first in polls, now Iowa seems to have fallen in some recent polls. Until Florida gets a better defense, I am not sold on them. Maybe they are better this year. I mean, they got beat by MISSISSIPPI ST. last year. Hehe. Tennessee will be good, but I doubt they are top 5. Besides us, :) , LSU is probably 2nd-in the sec- in my eyes.

173287[/snapback]

LSwho is 3rd in the west behind :au: of course and :uf: , everyone says the same thing about the D of the florida but if urban's offense clicks with Leak. well lets say they will care less that anyone can score 30 plus on them if they can stick 50 plus points on the board week in and week out.

One thing about all the polls that have us in the bottom half of the Top Twenty-Five:

I think the main reason people believe we can't come close to last year's performance is our inexperience at QB & RB. However, if Brandon Cox puts together a few impressive games early, and 1 or 2 of our running backs looks respectable in the first 2-4 games, I'd expect us to jump up the polls very quickly. Most informed writers know that the rest of our team is as good or better than last year and will start voting us higher as soon as they trust our QB & running game.

We start the season with five home games, Ga Tech being probably the most serious threat & South Carolina grabbing a lot of media attention (although I don't expect Spurrier to do all that great this year--too many problems to fix at SC). Two of those games (GaTech & MSU) are already slated for TV and I imagine AU-USC will be too. I fully expect Brandon Cox to clearly demonstrate his ability during that time. I also expect our running game will have proven itself more than adequate during that home stretch as well. I will not be at all surprized to see us firmly planted in the Top Ten by the time we head to Arkansas.

:uf: , everyone says the same thing about the D of the florida but if urban's offense clicks with Leak. well lets say they will care less that anyone can score 30 plus on them if they can stick 50 plus points on the board week in and week out.

UF lead the SEC in Total Offense last year and it didn't help.

In the SEC, D is what wins games.

I agree. With a very strong defense and a solid kicking game, you can win a ton of games in the SEC. :au:

I agree. With a very strong defense and a solid kicking game, you can win a ton of games in the SEC. :au:

173364[/snapback]

And WarTim Johnson ......is right!

Funny, but that basically describes our team this year. Great D, and All-SEC picks on the first and second team at punt and place kicker.

I think, and I heard David Lamb on Finebaum say it too. The difference for us this year will be the kicking game. We are supposed to be one of the better kicking units and that is before Kutch showed up.

:ua: had great D, :lsu: has great D, they are equal to maybe lsightly ahead of us on O. But the kicking game is where we take a good lead over them.

"Johnson"? :huh:

Anyway, FOUR S E C teams ranked ahead of the defending CHAMPIONS? :au:

THAT is NO respect. I hope our team plays as if they still have something to prove!

Guest Tigrinum Major

Who is this Tim Johnson all of you speak of?

I went to high school with a Tim Johnson, who, when he was about 26,27 attempted to walk on at RB for Tater Tot, got hurt and ended up as TT's right hand man. He was the guy you always saw walking behind the Tot with the cord to his headphones in his hands, keeping it out of the way on the sideline. I haven't heard what happened to him after TT quit on the team.

That Tim Johnson or is there another?

Contrary to my first thoughts on :au: being preseason #17 (#15 in USA Today Poll) I think that it could be right where we need and want to be. I say this for several reasons. I don't think that any of us have such a short memory that we don't remember being preseason top 5 a few years back and what happened. 'nuff said about that. Aside from not having the pressure and expectations of a preseason top 5 team, the real reason that I say that we are where we want to be is because, as was mentioned earlier, LSU, who is ranked #6 preseason in the USA Today poll. :au: plays LSU on October 22 at Baton Rouge. This is a scary thing because that is a very tough place to go to and pull out a win. But after the first 5 games being at home we should have a good grip on what we need to do, at least from an offensive standpoint. I think that the defense will be as good, if not better than last year's. I think we can go down there and win. If LSU stays unbeaten then a win there will most certainly boost our stock in the polls. Of course all of this is speculation and the season has yet to even begin. However I remain as optimistic as possible. I don't know about you guys but I am stoked about this season and the possiblities that it offers us. War Eagle!!! ;)

LSwho is 3rd in the west

173299[/snapback]

WTF are you talking about?

Hmm Florida State should not be ahead of us in any polls.

- Less returning staters (11 to our 12)

- Lost 3 games last year

- Has a worse defense

- Also doesn't have a proven QB

:lsu:

Those rankings mean zilch. In 2003 when LSU won the BCS, I think they started the season ranked right around 11-13. But they took care of business and finished on top. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think :au: started last season in the top 10 in any poll. But you won your games and finished at the top of the polls. Plenty of the teams ranked ahead of :lsu: & :au: will lose some games. There will be room to advance if the victories come.

Looking forward to your visit to Baton Rouge. Always a prime SEC football game.

I can't believe SI has FLA at #3 and TN at #5. That's absolutely ridiculous. :au: should be a little bit higher on the list. I think :au: should at least be at #15. If you think SI's list is bad for :au: , I've got a copy of the Athlon Sports Top 25.

Athlon's Top 25

1.USC

2.Tennessee

3.Iowa

4.Oklahoma

5.Florida State

6.Texas

7.Michigan

8.Louisville

9.LSU

10.Virginia Tech

11.Miami

12.Ohio State

13.Florida

14.Georgia

15.Purdue

16.Alabama

17.Boston College

18.Boise State

19.Arizona State

20.Auburn

21.Texas Tech

22.Virginia

23.Pittsburgh

24.UTEP

25.Georgia Tech

Arizona State #19? How the hell did they manage to top out :au: in the rankings? I mean, thats a team in 2003 LSU beat the crap out of like 54-10 or something like that, I forget :lol:

Most informed writers know that the rest of our team is as good or better than last year and will start voting us higher as soon as they trust our QB & running game.

173332[/snapback]

Sadly, informed writers do not vote. It was obvious to anyone who watched college football last year that Auburn and USC were head and shoulders above the rest of the nation. I was at the Red River Rivalry in Dallas and came away believing that the Tigers would beat Texas by 30 and OU by no less than 21. If OU would have played in the SEC East the only way they would have made it to Atlanta would have been if they bought tickets. I feel that the voters and writers knew in October that Auburn was much better than OU but flat refused to admit they had been wrong for half the season.

Arizona State #19? How the hell did they manage to top out  :au: in the rankings? I mean, thats a team in 2003 LSU beat the crap out of like 54-10 or something like that, I forget :lol:

That was actually Arizona

I dont know if they can do it but it would be a big plus for Arkansas to go out there and beat USC . Maybe just hanging in with them for a close game might be enough to show that the middle of the road SEC teams are competitive with the best in the PAC 10.

That helps the winners of the SEC West and East by putting some doubt in all the people that are so gung ho on USC.

It is also important that LSU and Oklahoma take care of business against their Pac 10 opponents just so the winners of the SEC ( Whoever that ends up being ) has some bragging points in the media.

Lets face it the past two years the SEC has been screwed by the media.

Geaux LSU Tigers

I dont know if they can do it but it would be a big plus for Arkansas to go out there and beat USC .  Maybe just hanging in with them for a close game might be enough to show that the middle of the road SEC teams are competitive with the best in the PAC 10.

That helps the winners of the SEC West and East by putting some doubt in all the people that are so gung ho on USC.

Yeah a middle of the pack SEC team takes down USC it should give us some media points but I figure if Arky can beat USC all we will get from the media is told they were not clicking that day and on any other they would pound an SEC team. we are after all having a down year :rolleyes: Then again these are the same clowns who have us at 18 behind FSU :rolleyes:

guess we will just have to make our statement on the playing field instead of getting a media pass to the Rose Bowl.

:cheer::au::cheer: War Eagle! hurry sept hurry!

This year i think Auburn is in the same position LSU was in after Mauck left the Tigers. People know you are going to have a good team but you have an unproven inexperienced QB. That does not mean he wont play well.

Add that to losing two quality backs to the NFL and you get some doubt.

I am looking forward to LSU-Auburn in Baton Rouge come October. I think the winner of that game wins the SEC championship game.

Archived