Proposed rules changes

SLAG-91

https://www.si.com/college/2023/02/20/college-football-shorter-game-rules

Quick summary of proposed changes (emphasis on proposed)

1. Eliminate consecutive timeouts (like when trying to ice a kicker).

2. Eliminate untimed down on a defensive penalty at the end of the 1st and 3rd quarter.

3. Clock continues to run after a first down, with the exception of the last 2:00 of a half.

4. Clock will be restarted after an incomplete pass once the ball is spotted for play.

I don't really have an issue with the first three, but I don't like the 4th one.

As an aside, I wish they'd fix the "you're down if you slip in bounds, but no one has touched you" rule.

Discuss, if you like.

• Like 1

Looks like all these are designed to speed the game up.  I hate that they constantly implement or propose rules to speed up the game when all they have to do is limit the number of commercial breaks we get every game.  Problem solved.    #1 and #2 I'm ok with.  3 and 4 no.   

as to your other statement, about being down without contact, I hope that rule NEVER changes in college.  The only level of football that's a rule is pro. It needs to remain in pro and NEVER trickle down.   Too many of the rules from pro have trickled down and none have had a postiive impact on the game.    It's PRO football and certain things should be exclusive to the PRO game and not invade collegiate (or high school) athletics. I know most will disagree, and that's ok.   I just believe there needs to be more distinction between the lower levels of football and the pro game

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SLAG-91 said:

As an aside, I wish they'd fix the "you're down if you slip in bounds, but no one has touched you" rule.

I think that rule was originally implemented  for safety reasons in college ball.  The player is very vulnerable while trying to get back up to continue the play.  You can't handcuff the defenders attacking that player.

I only like proposal 1.  no consecutive time outs.

• Like 2

I’m fine with them all. Now if they find a way to deal with the ridiculous flopping issue. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cutting 3 commercials will cut 10 mins. Basketball has set times for commercials.  Maybe football should follow suit. I know the speed of the action in general is different between the two, but it's crazy to see teams ready to play but waiting on the commercial break to finish. 

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Cutting 3 commercials will cut 10 mins. Basketball has set times for commercials.  Maybe football should follow suit. I know the speed of the action in general is different between the two, but it's crazy to see teams ready to play but waiting on the commercial break to finish. 

What I'd rather have is for them to air most of the commercials during halftime. I probably wouldn't watch them but I don't watch the studio halftime updates by ex athletes who can't wait to interrupt and talk over each other either.

Speeding up the game is fine but spiking the ball should warrant a clock stoppage if you're willing to give up a down to do it. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, WinForAuburn said:

Someone kill off that Geico lizard and that stupid damn emu and games would be over in no time.

Wouldn't help, then PETA would delay the games with a protest. 

• Like 1

Looks like they’re making it more like the pro game. I wish they’d leave it alone. Of course, I wish we had the game we had 20-30 years ago. 

I agree on the commercials, though. Run it like soccer. Commercial breaks at halftime or at the end of a quarter. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

What I'd rather have is for them to air most of the commercials during halftime. I probably wouldn't watch them but I don't watch the studio halftime updates by ex athletes who can't wait to interrupt and talk over each other either.

Speeding up the game is fine but spiking the ball should warrant a clock stoppage if you're willing to give up a down to do it. 

That's a big one to me.  Will spiking the ball even allow enough time to get set up for a field goal now?  Officials could place the ball within a couple of seconds, or not, depending on motivation, since no one has time to move much during a spike play.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WinForAuburn said:

Someone kill off that Geico lizard and that stupid damn emu and games would be over in no time.

And killoff that aflac duck too, and handcuff/ban them two glory, attention seeking cockroach coaches while their at it.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, gr82be said:

The only time that happens(spiking the ball) is within two minutes so that wouldn’t happen anyway with that rule.

4 hours ago, WinForAuburn said:

I'm pretty sure the Emu is a blood relative of Big Bird.

7 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

https://www.si.com/college/2023/02/20/college-football-shorter-game-rules

Quick summary of proposed changes (emphasis on proposed)

1. Eliminate consecutive timeouts (like when trying to ice a kicker).

2. Eliminate untimed down on a defensive penalty at the end of the 1st and 3rd quarter.

3. Clock continues to run after a first down, with the exception of the last 2:00 of a half.

4. Clock will be restarted after an incomplete pass once the ball is spotted for play.

I don't really have an issue with the first three, but I don't like the 4th one.

Discuss, if you like.

I'm good with the 4th one if they add the "with the exception of the last 2:00 of a half"

5 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I’m fine with them all. Now if they find a way to deal with the ridiculous flopping issue. 

Amen!!   Maybe make it where if you go down you are required to sit out the rest of that series or something like that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alabastertiger said:

Amen!!   Maybe make it where if you go down you are required to sit out the rest of that series or something like that.

I think that plus: All other players on the field take a knee and face the opponents sideline.  Coaches are not just doing these flops to give kids a break. They’re using it as extra timeouts. Regarding the ‘injured’ player, if your require the medical attention of three professionals you should be sat downfor at least several minutes. Similar to hockeys penalty box, have an injury box with a clock with a minimum time out of the game. 

So, they want you to contribute more money, spend 3 bills on a hotel, buy tickets, pay $40 bucks to park, and drop $1,000 on a Saturday just so they can shorten the game to fit in the three hour TV time slot?

There is nothing wrong with the duration of the college game. Leave it alone. 

Personally, I don't care if the game lasts 5 hours. 

• Like 4

The most ridiculous rule in the book, inconsistent with all other rules, totally brain-warped unbelievable --

If you throw a pass and it doesn't get beyond the line of scrimmage and no receiver is in the area, it is intentional grounding. Which results in a loss of down and 10 yard penalty.

Unless you throw it at your own feet. Just throw the ball down. I don't want it! Hot potato! Bounce it into a lineman's but? No prob.

Striking the ball is just an incomplete pass. Stops the clock.

A horrendously barf-inducing rule that has been around for a very long time.

This rule should be stricken from the books. And, welp, you wanna shorten the game, that is one way.

If the rule change affects this absurd practice and starts the clock after a ball strike just like any other incomplete pass -- including in the final minutes of a game -- I'm all for it. Get rid of this inane play.

Edited by AURex
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, tigers23 said:

Stop reviewing every play and go to challenges like the NFL. The incessant reviews in CFB slow the game down too much.

That would be great, but first they have to hire some professional officials. If you ask me, that is what's really wrong with the college game. Billion dollar industry being officiated by part time amateur officials. They get almost every bang bang play wrong initially. Worse yet, they still get some of them wrong even after reviewing the play. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why not fix the obvious problem? Halftimes are way too long, cut them in half to the NFL length. 

• Like 1

1 & 2 OK.  Don't like either 3 or 4.  Not one prospective rule change this cycle addressed the most visible & obvious delay of game -- that of players feigning injury.  I understand that player safety is paramount and that discerning actual from fake injuries is not in an official's wheelhouse, but something should be done about it.  Maybe ... charge the team with an actual timeout if video review (done with the player on the ground receiving "treatment") shows a flop?  

On 2/21/2023 at 8:20 AM, Gowebb11 said:

If you collapse on the field, you should have to sit out the duration of the current drive. That would fix the flopping issue. I mean hey, you’re injured. You need attending to. You don’t need to be on the field. 

• Like 2

On 2/21/2023 at 9:15 AM, WinForAuburn said:

Liberty Mutual’s advertising budget has to be 5 trillion dollars or something. They are EVERYWHERE. It is insane.