Proposed rules changes

SLAG-91

On 2/21/2023 at 12:35 PM, cctiger said:

And killoff that aflac duck too, and handcuff/ban them two glory, attention seeking cockroach coaches while their at it.

I rather kill off the coaches and keep the duck. lol

• Haha 2

On 2/22/2023 at 11:14 PM, AURex said:

The most ridiculous rule in the book, inconsistent with all other rules, totally brain-warped unbelievable --

If you throw a pass and it doesn't get beyond the line of scrimmage and no receiver is in the area, it is intentional grounding. Which results in a loss of down and 10 yard penalty.

Unless you throw it at your own feet. Just throw the ball down. I don't want it! Hot potato! Bounce it into a lineman's but? No prob.

Striking the ball is just an incomplete pass. Stops the clock.

A horrendously barf-inducing rule that has been around for a very long time.

This rule should be stricken from the books. And, welp, you wanna shorten the game, that is one way.

If the rule change affects this absurd practice and starts the clock after a ball strike just like any other incomplete pass -- including in the final minutes of a game -- I'm all for it. Get rid of this inane play.

If consistent with all other all the other rules governing football, this SHOULD be not only a loss of down for an incomplete pass, it should also be a 10 yard penalty for Intentional Grounding.

If consistent with all the other rules governing football, this SHOULD be not only a loss of down for an incomplete pass, it SHOULD also be a 10 yard penalty for Intentional Grounding.

This is the most ludicrous rule in football, bar none. Asinine. Logically indefensible. Completely unintelligible. It falls into that "stupid special play category." It is right out of the Monty Python playbook of idiocy made reality.

Edited by AURex
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, woodford said:

If you collapse on the field, you should have to sit out the duration of the current drive. That would fix the flopping issue. I mean hey, you’re injured. You need attending to. You don’t need to be on the field. 

That would be a decent rule change, IMO.  If you need physical help off the field you have to stay off for x number or plays or change of possession. 

A big hell no to three and four. To me that's part of the strategy of play calling and time management. I would miss that part of the game

On 2/22/2023 at 5:56 AM, AuGrad2004 said:

Just run the commercials on a split screen like they do golf now.  

I agree, only because they’re simply not going to eliminate $$$ three commercials per game.

I think corporate America would actually go for the split screen idea because they know, many times during the commercials we run out to the smoker/grill or to the fridge for another beer. Obviously with the split screen, we would be forced to watch at least some of the commercial.

10 hours ago, AU-24 said:

I agree, only because they’re simply not going to eliminate $$$ three commercials per game.

I think corporate America would actually go for the split screen idea because they know, many times during the commercials we run out to the smoker/grill or to the fridge for another beer. Obviously with the split screen, we would be forced to watch at least some of the commercial.

I dvr everything and watch no commercials. I might be 20 minutes behind but I don’t have to sit through commercials and just fast forward to the next play. With YouTube tv you don’t even need cable.

Edited by toddc

14 hours ago, toddc said:

I dvr everything and watch no commercials. I might be 20 minutes behind but I don’t have to sit through commercials and just fast forward to the next play. With YouTube tv you don’t even need cable.

Same here, I watch on YouTube TV as well. Sometimes I think wealthy corporate America is just making a donation to their causes. I can’t believe the average sports fan is watching their garbage commercials.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2023 at 10:14 PM, AURex said:

The most ridiculous rule in the book, inconsistent with all other rules, totally brain-warped unbelievable --

If you throw a pass and it doesn't get beyond the line of scrimmage and no receiver is in the area, it is intentional grounding. Which results in a loss of down and 10 yard penalty.

Unless you throw it at your own feet. Just throw the ball down. I don't want it! Hot potato! Bounce it into a lineman's but? No prob.

Striking the ball is just an incomplete pass. Stops the clock.

A horrendously barf-inducing rule that has been around for a very long time.

This rule should be stricken from the books. And, welp, you wanna shorten the game, that is one way.

If the rule change affects this absurd practice and starts the clock after a ball strike just like any other incomplete pass -- including in the final minutes of a game -- I'm all for it. Get rid of this inane play.

NOPE.  It's a Loss of Down at the spot of the foul.  There is no 10 yard penalty.

On 2/21/2023 at 7:20 AM, Gowebb11 said:

I’m fine with them all. Now if they find a way to deal with the ridiculous flopping issue. 

Such an easy fix, honestly. 

On 2/21/2023 at 1:02 PM, alabastertiger said:

Amen!!   Maybe make it where if you go down you are required to sit out the rest of that series or something like that.

This. I would have it a tiered penalty.

1st time down, you miss rest of the series. 

2nd time- rest of the quarter

3rd time rest of the game

If protecting players is really their concern then that would do just that. 

• Like 1

The #1 needed change: allow teams to elect to inbound the ball after a foul instead of having to shoot free throws.

No wait, that's another sport...

Biggest things I think should happen.

The refs mics are always on when reviewing plays and everyone is shown what they are looking at. This will bring in lots of visibility to the replay system.

I think having the extra point snap being placed where the touchdown is scored, like in rugby, would make for some interesting results and decisions.

I also wish they would implement what the NFL does where if it is a clear missed call they just buzz down and make the change on the field instead of having to go to replay.