Baseball vs Mississippi State

I liked the lineup changes with Standfield leading off. Also proud for our pitchers, especially Vail. Hope Herberholtz can give us at least 5 strong innings today. Love Gabe Gross but we’re horrible at bunting. Wish we would either get good at it or stop doing it. 😅

• Like 1

Auburn vs MS 🤔

I follow baseball quietly from here in Mississippi and always glad for the wins. Baseball is the best team game in my opinion and loved playing it as a kid. 

The title of this thread made me think about MS, which my daughter has been diagnosed with. It would be really something if, like AUtlive for the basketball team, Auburn athletics could do something for raising awareness and funds for Multiple Sclerosis when we play Mississippi State at least once a year. Just an idea and a play on our opponent's name but I'm betting Mississippi State would be happy to do it also. 

War Eagle, glad for the win. 

• Like 3

• WarTiger changed the title to Baseball vs Mississippi State
1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Auburn vs MS 🤔

I follow baseball quietly from here in Mississippi and always glad for the wins. Baseball is the best team game in my opinion and loved playing it as a kid. 

The title of this thread made me think about MS, which my daughter has been diagnosed with. It would be really something if, like AUtlive for the basketball team, Auburn athletics could do something for raising awareness and funds for Multiple Sclerosis when we play Mississippi State at least once a year. Just an idea and a play on our opponent's name but I'm betting Mississippi State would be happy to do it also. 

War Eagle, glad for the win. 

Prayers sent for your daughter, gr82be.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I don't know how many folks know how we scored the winning run.  True freshman, Chris Stanfield, singled to the bottom of 8.   With no outs, we tried to bunt him over.  Cole's bunt was popped up behind the plate to the back fence.   The catcher caught the pop up running with his back to the infield.   Chris tagged up and went to 2nd.   The catcher's throw to  2nd was into the runner.   The ball bounced off Chris and went into shallow left.   Chris kept going and made it to 3rd.   Bobby Pierce then drove Chris in with a sacrifice fly.   Just a great job of awareness by a young player and hustle to get back to the bag and tag instead of dropping your head and loafing because your teammate did not get the bunt down.    I got to spend some time with Chris and his dad at the Arkansas series.  Chris is a good AU man.   Everything was yes sir, no sir.   He has a big bright smile.    Always happy.   His dad and his uncle drove through the night from Florida to make the Arky series with no idea if Chris would even play.   His dad is very thankful his son is being coached by a man like CBT.  His dad was decked in AU gear the whole weekend.   We have some good kids and parents @AUBASEBALL..         

• Thanks 1
  • Love 3

16 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

I don't know how many folks know how we scored the winning run.  True freshman, Chris Stanfield, singled to the bottom of 8.   With no outs, we tried to bunt him over.  Cole's bunt was popped up behind the plate to the back fence.   The catcher caught the pop up running with his back to the infield.   Chris tagged up and went to 2nd.   The catcher's throw to  2nd was into the runner.   The ball bounced off Chris and went into shallow left.   Chris kept going and made it to 3rd.   Bobby Pierce then drove Chris in with a sacrifice fly.   Just a great job of awareness by a young player and hustle to get back to the bag and tag instead of dropping your head and loafing because your teammate did not get the bunt down.    I got to spend some time with Chris and his dad at the Arkansas series.  Chris is a good AU man.   Everything was yes sir, no sir.   He has a big bright smile.    Always happy.   His dad and his uncle drove through the night from Florida to make the Arky series with no idea if Chris would even play.   His dad is very thankful his son is being coached by a man like CBT.  His dad was decked in AU gear the whole weekend.   We have some good kids and parents @AUBASEBALL..         

Chris is going to do a lot of special things for AU baseball. Great skills and super high baseball IQ. I really like him leading off in the lineup too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just dug into our pitching stats.    In our first 5 series, CBT has tried 11 different starting pitcher iterations.   He has tried someone different in all 5 of the 3rd games.   He has tried 4 different pitchers in the 2nd game and 2 different in game 1.   In 15 games he has tried 9 different starters.   The only somewhat consistent performer has been Vail in game ones.   Counting last night's game, he owns ALL 3 of our quality starts.   That's right no one not named Vail has started an SEC game and thrown more than 4 innings much less thrown at least 5 innings and given up 4 or less earned runs.  Vail has now done it 3 times (against us our opponents have 7 quality starts).      In his last 2 starts Vail has thrown 11.2 scoreless innings both in game 1 starts.   In his previous 2 starts, a game 2 and a game 3 start, he threw 7.3 and gave up 9 earned.   So maybe Vail is looked into the 1st game start.   Question is who do you throw in game 2?  Outside of Vail the only other starter to look decent is our closer Will Cannon.   In his 2 starts he threw 4 and 3 innings.   Since he closed last night he will not start game 2 or 3.  Herberholtz is next with 1 start and 4 innings pitched in it.    It was a game 3 start against Bama, so I suspect he will pitch tomorrow.  That leaves 6 other guys who have been given a start and none of the 3 were able to get out of the SECOND inning.   Do you go back to one of them or do you give someone else a chance.    It looks like the later with Hayden Murphy apparently getting the start.   I hoping they have discovered/corrected something with respect to Hayden because year to date opponents are batting .394 against him.   He has given up 16 earned in 14 innings and 26 hits.   Let's get a win.

• Thanks 2

I was happy to see Auburn scored 10, thinking we must have won.  Then see MSU with 11 ... grrr

7 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I just dug into our pitching stats.    In our first 5 series, CBT has tried 11 different starting pitcher iterations.   He has tried someone different in all 5 of the 3rd games.   He has tried 4 different pitchers in the 2nd game and 2 different in game 1.   In 15 games he has tried 9 different starters.   The only somewhat consistent performer has been Vail in game ones.   Counting last night's game, he owns ALL 3 of our quality starts.   That's right no one not named Vail has started an SEC game and thrown more than 4 innings much less thrown at least 5 innings and given up 4 or less earned runs.  Vail has now done it 3 times (against us our opponents have 7 quality starts).      In his last 2 starts Vail has thrown 11.2 scoreless innings both in game 1 starts.   In his previous 2 starts, a game 2 and a game 3 start, he threw 7.3 and gave up 9 earned.   So maybe Vail is looked into the 1st game start.   Question is who do you throw in game 2?  Outside of Vail the only other starter to look decent is our closer Will Cannon.   In his 2 starts he threw 4 and 3 innings.   Since he closed last night he will not start game 2 or 3.  Herberholtz is next with 1 start and 4 innings pitched in it.    It was a game 3 start against Bama, so I suspect he will pitch tomorrow.  That leaves 6 other guys who have been given a start and none of the 3 were able to get out of the SECOND inning.   Do you go back to one of them or do you give someone else a chance.    It looks like the later with Hayden Murphy apparently getting the start.   I hoping they have discovered/corrected something with respect to Hayden because year to date opponents are batting .394 against him.   He has given up 16 earned in 14 innings and 26 hits.   Let's get a win.

Tell me if I wrong LP. I don’t think we ever been in the upper 50% pitching SEC rating during CBT’s tenure. Seems we always have the dependable one but never the second guy. Is it that other schools have more support and lottery money? No fault of CBT. What he has done is amazing. 

This afternoon hurt me bad.

Edited by SaltyTiger

12 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Tell me if I wrong LP. I don’t think we ever been in the upper 50% pitching SEC rating during CBT’s tenure. Seems we always have the dependable one but never the second guy. Is it that other schools have more support and lottery money? No fault of CBT. What he has done is amazing. 

This afternoon hurt me bad.

Salty you're not wrong.   Using team ERA as the standard, the highest we have been is 7th in the league.   Probably our best 1, 2 was 18 with Casey and Tanner.  Auburn and Alabama have always been hurt by the 11 scholarship rule, no lottery,  no waivers of out of state tuition for border states and no program like Vandy where nearly everyone on the team is receiving financial aid.   I'm pretty sure OM and State allow all border state students to attend and pay in-state tuition.   All of our border states have lotteries that allow baseball players (and others) to receive financial aid.   Our facilities, as nice as they are, also pale in comparison to Arkansas, Miss St., Kentucky, A&M, Alabama, LSU, Vandy, etc.   It was what just three years ago that we had only 2 batting cages... We have really had both arms tied behind our backs forever,  NIL changes that to a large degree.   Unfortunately, we have yet to stir up much NIL interest for baseball.   As I think you pointed out last weekend, our board is filled with thousands of folks who love and support AU ,but few who view or post here.   This weekend kicks off the 2nd half of the season, huge weekend series, we win game 1, and here we are Sunday morning, with a chance to win the series, and we have had 8 individuals who have posted.   Someone will start a thread about a 2025 football recruit listing us in his top 8 and 40 people will post (Hello Lache Seastrunk).  There is no one to "blame" for this.   Folks like what they like and are interested in what they like.   There just isn't near enough interest in baseball.  We have been to the CWS  2 out of the last 4 years while football has yet to make the playoffs.    It hurts me to the core since I played there when Hitchcock had aluminum bleachers....   I hope that someday it changes...  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

It hurts me to the core since I played there when Hitchcock had aluminum bleachers....   I hope that someday it changes...  

I didn’t mind the aluminum bleachers. Could not stand the bank of port-a-lets 

• Like 2

This looks like it would have been fun to watch

• Love 1

We have likely one of the better offenses for Butch but my goodness our pitching is so bad.  If we could ever have both at the same time ...

• Like 1

Hopefully Gonzo comes back weekend after next.   That alone will result in us throwing 2 to 3 less pitchers per weekend and we will get a quality start every time he toes the rubber.   Let's don't lose sight of the fact that despite how awful our pitching is, Butch has kept this team together.    So many teams would tank with pitching this bad.    We got down big time yesterday to fight back and still lose.   We go down again 7-0 and fight back and win.   That says a lot about Butch, the staff, and older players like Foster, Pierce,Larue, etc.   So proud of these guys.   This was a must win and they did it.

• Love 1

Did any of you notice where State's CF was playing on Cole's winning hit?   It will not be lost on State fans that Cole is a pull hitter and they were playing him shade oppo.   And what does he do?   He pulls the ball (on an outside pitch no less). 

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

Hopefully Gonzo comes back weekend after next.   That alone will result in us throwing 2 to 3 less pitchers per weekend and we will get a quality start every time he toes the rubber.   Let's don't lose sight of the fact that despite how awful our pitching is, Butch has kept this team together.    So many teams would tank with pitching this bad.    We got down big time yesterday to fight back and still lose.   We go down again 7-0 and fight back and win.   That says a lot about Butch, the staff, and older players like Foster, Pierce,Larue, etc.   So proud of these guys.   This was a must win and they did it.

The only Sunday Game I can recall missing in years and due to family obligations. One of my sons called with the update and made this gorgeous East Alabama day much better. WDE!!!

We need to give CBT all support needed within reason. 

• Like 3