Feelings on this model of CFB

AUght2win

11 hours ago, DAG said:

How is that a dumb argument? Lol. He said that exact thing. He dealt with it and advocated for players making as much money as possible prior to the NIL with his "dumb" narrative (GREAT JOB KD).  Now we got grown ass men like you crying over it. And you would be the first one trying to capitalize on money if you had even an ounce of the talent they had at this level. These arguments kill me. You are mad at another man for getting their money? Lol. Then you will be the first person at the game asking these dudes to sign autograph for you. Do you go to nursing students and ask them for autographs? Do you spend your time away from your family, obligations and friends speaking about the engineer students at Auburn? If you are so upset about it why are you wasting your time with auburn athletics or collegiate sports in general? "Oh because I have pride for my school." No because you are entertained by the freaking sport. Speaking of dumb, idiotic arguments , you really think they want to give the players a portion of the TV revenue? LMAO. 

I don’t know you and what your past included.   You have completely missed out on my point about Durant.   What you don’t seem to understand is that if players like Durant never stepped foot on a campus it wouldn’t bother me.   If a system was put in place for basketball, football and any other sport to go straight into a pro league, then go.   If you choose to go to college, play in college and then go pro after three years like it used to be.   
I don’t know if you played sports in college but I did.    I don’t line up to get anyone’s autograph.   I don’t hold the players as some kind of hero.   In my eyes, they were all athletes just like I was.   No better or less than me.    I buy my tickets to go and cheer for Auburn.    I cheer for whomever is currently wearing that uniform 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

it’s not what my once deep interest in the game was based on

Once deep interest??? Why, do tell, has your interest waned?

19 hours ago, DAG said:

These guys could’ve chosen any other school to play for and pay them, but they chose us.

This just isn’t true. If Bama, Georgia or Ohio State wanted/ needed them, they’d be going there instead. How do I know? Reuben Foster, TJ Yeldon, the Hoover High receiver that went to Georgia and Justin Fields told me.

Business decisions

Edited by jluvah

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

I don’t know you and what your past included.   You have completely missed out on my point about Durant.   What you don’t seem to understand is that if players like Durant never stepped foot on a campus it wouldn’t bother me.   If a system was put in place for basketball, football and any other sport to go straight into a pro league, then go.   If you choose to go to college, play in college and then go pro after three years like it used to be.   
I don’t know if you played sports in college but I did.    I don’t line up to get anyone’s autograph.   I don’t hold the players as some kind of hero.   In my eyes, they were all athletes just like I was.   No better or less than me.    I buy my tickets to go and cheer for Auburn.    I cheer for whomever is currently wearing that uniform 

Yeah I actually ran division 1 track, which like Baseball , you rarely get full blown rides. I just talked to a poster who said one of our baseball players used NIL money to fly his parents from Puerto Rico to watch him play. Something he would not been able to do without assistance from the NIL. This is where my point about Kevin Durant stands.  What you don’t understand is it is not just about you . You are speaking from your own freaking lens. If you don’t want to give money to the athletes that’s on you , but don’t bitch because they are finding a way to make money for themselves . That just being a hater. If you don’t do any of that stuff and it’s not affecting you directly why are you bitching ? And if you don’t find enjoyment in it , why the hell are you spending your hard earn cash to  go to the game? That is so weird to me. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jluvah said:

This just isn’t true. If Bama, Georgia or Ohio State wanted/ needed them, they’d be going there instead. How do I know? Reuben Foster, TJ Yeldon, the Hoover High receiver that went to Georgia and Justin Fields told me.

Business decisions

Lol what ? Walker white literally picked us over Clemson and Alabama. 

9 hours ago, AUght2win said:

So who’s getting rich and how?

Coaches, TV Execs, AD, etc

In 2000 coaches made like 100k. Now they 750k with coordinators in the low millions. A lot of HC used to be sub 7 figures. Now 4-6 mil is thr low end. With a good number 10-14 million. 

All that money and players just got a bump like 5 years ago for a COL stipen of like 4k a semester. 

Hell, they do t even get any of that money now. SEC js about to get an extra 40mil a season from the new TV deal. We'll probably see coaches salary bump up again. 

Any the whole "this is constant free agency" nonsense....they can transfer 1 time. One single tome before they earn their degree. Oh the horror 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah I actually ran division 1 track. What you don’t understand is it is not just about you . You are speaking from your own freaking lens. If you don’t want to give money to the athletes that’s on you , but don’t bitch because they are finding a way to make money for themselves . That just being a hater. If you don’t do any of that stuff and it’s not affecting you directly why are you bitching ?

Hey High Horse, 

who made you king of opinions?   It’s called an opinion.   You may not like it but it’s an opinion.  

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Lol what ? Walker white literally picked us over Clemson and Alabama. 

Lol we paid him more. See how this works?

Just now, jluvah said:

Lol we paid him more. See how this works?

Exactly! So why are you bitching about Bama doing it to us. It works both ways. 

2 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Hey High Horse, 

who made you king of opinions?   It’s called an opinion.   You may not like it but it’s an opinion.  

I have the high horse but you are mad about players getting paid?  That’s why you threw out that little example about you playing collegiate sports like you have some unique perspective haha . Again, if you hate it so much why would you spend your hard earn cash to go to the game? That’s just stupid. 

Edited by DAG

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Exactly! So why are you bitching about Bama doing it to us. It works both ways. 

If you think we can compete with them on a regular basis, now that it’s legal, you’re crazier than I think you are, and that’s pretty crazy

1 minute ago, jluvah said:

If you think we can compete with them on a regular basis, now that it’s legal, you’re crazier than I think you are, and that’s pretty crazy

If you don’t think we can compete with them then why the hell are you here? Just throw up the white flag and go watch youth flag football. But beyond that , my argument isn’t about competing. I am happy ALL collegiate athletes are getting paid. My happiness doesn’t wean and wane on the outcome of a game like yours do.  It’s simply entertainment  and another outlet for me from the business of my work schedule 

3 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Why do you think we can’t? Just interested to understand what is insurmountable. Actually IMO UGA just recently reached that pinnacle (by a coaching hire). If they can do it, we can too.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

I have the high horse but you are mad about players getting paid?  That’s why you threw out that little example about you playing collegiate sports like you have some unique perspective haha . Again, if you hate it so much why would you spend your hard earn cash to go to the game? That’s just stupid. 

Your comprehension isn’t that good and it sounds like you’re a bitter person.   Anyone that doesn’t have your point of view is stupid.   I’m not mad at any one.   I’ve said that I’m giving my opinion on the current state of college athletics.   I threw out my experience because I saw how athletes were treated.   If people want to give thousands of dollars to get some kid to come play a sport, more power to them.    

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

If you don’t think we can compete with them then why the hell are you here? Just throw up the white flag and go watch youth flag football. But beyond that , my argument isn’t about competing. I am happy ALL collegiate athletes are getting paid. My happiness doesn’t wean and wane on the outcome of a game like yours do.  It’s simply entertainment  and another outlet for me from the business of my work schedule 

You seem mighty invested in your “ simply entertainment “

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, DAG said:

you are mad about players getting paid

It's lunacy. One of these same arguments a while ago, a guy was claiming the football team stole their child's lunch money.  All the unused food credit balance on their kid's meal plan was taken by the AD 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jluvah said:

We're going to have a top 4-7 recruiting class in '23 and we'll have a top 3 portal class.  We have always shown the ability to compete with anyone when we aren't being our own worst enemy.  We have enough money and donors to do whatever we want.

The little brother woah is me attitude of our fanbase is sad 

Edited by W.E.D

On 5/6/2023 at 8:03 PM, AUght2win said:

I just don’t even know what the point of the game is anymore. My love for the sport has dimmed. 

That's been an issue with me really since the TV contracts started dictating the game. Everything has been about money for some time now, which has killed any "amateur" gloss college football once had. This just makes it more ludicrous and it's only starting. Pretty soon, every starter with any stats to their name are going to need more and more money to keep on a roster year after year. How long will boosters back that constant demand for more money? How much sales will have to go into keeping an NIL fund flush? When will the divide between haves and have nots turn the game into a farce? 

It's professional football, but in a very chaotic sense. Without some structure, it's going to continue to devolve into a mess but at this point you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. I'll enjoy what I can of it as long as I can. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Why do you think we can’t? Just interested to understand what is insurmountable. Actually IMO UGA just recently reached that pinnacle (by a coaching hire). If they can do it, we can too.

Go to the baseball thread . Twelve—TWELVE- people have given to the baseball NIL. Is football gonna be any different? Take Jimmy Rane( God bless him) out of the equation and I have a feeling we wouldn’t be playing D1 football much longer

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jluvah said:

Go to the baseball thread . Twelve—TWELVE- people have given to the baseball NIL. Is football gonna be any different? Take Jimmy Rane( God bless him) out of the equation and I have a feeling we wouldn’t be playing D1 football much longer

Gotcha, understand your point better. Thx

16 minutes ago, jluvah said:

TWELVE- people have given to the baseball NIL. Is football gonna be any different

Yes, it is

HTH

Guys,

I want to apologize if I’ve offended anyone here. I realize we all have our own opinions on what’s going on with college football today. Some have the same opinion I do, others don’t. That’s discourse. All of us have one thing in common. Auburn is our favorite college team. Time will tell how this all shakes out. It seems too chaotic right now to me to be advantageous to Auburn. There our quite a few schools with deeper pockets than Auburn. The athletes WILL go where the money is ( as would I if I were in their shoes) and I just don’t think in the long run the Auburn fan base will stomach the roster turnover that we’ll see from year to year. I don’t think our fans are as rabid ( or crazy) as about 8-10 other SEC schools, with OU and Texas entering the picture as well. I may be completely wrong. Like I said, time will tell. And again, I apologize if I’ve offended any of you

2 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Your comprehension isn’t that good and it sounds like you’re a bitter person.   Anyone that doesn’t have your point of view is stupid.   I’m not mad at any one.   I’ve said that I’m giving my opinion on the current state of college athletics.   I threw out my experience because I saw how athletes were treated.   If people want to give thousands of dollars to get some kid to come play a sport, more power to them.    

Clearly your comprehension isn’t good. I never said you had to agree with anything I have put out here. But when you say you can’t see how anyone can enjoy this period of collegiate of sports , yet you spend your valuable time on these forums and fully admit to paying to see games (something that you clearly don’t enjoy), then yes that is not a smart thing to do. 

13 hours ago, AUght2win said:

You can say that all you want but my consumption of CFB as a whole has dropped by 90%. I don’t watch *any* other games now besides AU, and I used to be a guy who would get up to watch Gameday every week.

If the disconnect grows deep enough to the point where I truly don’t feel like the players represent Auburn, I will have no reason to watch. 

This is my feeling as well.  I'm 60 years old and remember when players would do anything to have the honor of wearing an Auburn jersey on game day.  Kinda like my decision to attend AU when I couldn't afford it.  I didn't care - I just wanted to be an AU student and alumnus more than I wanted anything else, money (expenses) be damned.

It was a different feeling back then.  For me, a better feeling.

I understand the argument that "today college football is a multi-billion dollar business and the coaches and others are making millions...".  Well, years ago when the coaches and others started to make those millions, I was opposed to it.  The first question in my mind was "where does this go?".  Well, we're now seeing where it went.

The closer this moves toward "Minor League Football", the less I like it and the less I watch it.  But I'm old, and younger people seem somewhat willing to accept the new model.  To each his own.

• Like 1

I got news for some of y’all. The bidding for some players’ loyalty/services has been going on for a while. We are just now standing in the window of the sausage making factory for the first time, and a lot of fans feel betrayed. 

“That’s how the sausage is being made now!? That’s not how it was made back in my day!”

We are still gonna get players that want to come and play at Auburn because they love the school. We are gonna get players that come because of NIL, and end of falling in love with Auburn. 

Shocking, I know.

• Like 1