SEC Softball Tournament 2023 bracket, schedule, TV info

22 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Lowe was dealing.  But she is good for giving up a 2 run HR an outing.  Had it down to final strike or 2. After walking first batter, I'm surprised Maddie didn't come in. 

This. Shelby did great before the 7th, but if you want to lock it down you need Maddie.

• Like 1

I thought Lowe looked better than Penta today...until she didn't.  In fairness, even the best pitchers rarely pitch a no hitter.  She had 2 outs and was soooo close to getting the win.  Didn't help that she walked a batter before giving up the HR.  

If our offense could put some runs on the board there wouldn't be so much pressure on the pitchers.  Today they were taking huge hacks at the ball trying to hit it to the moon.  Gobourne was throwing 70+ mph...she was providing the power, all they had to do was make contact.   Meanwhile, Auburn baseball is up 16-4 right now over Ole Miss.  Cole Foster just hit his second HR of the game.  I wish Gabe Gross would come coach softball for a year.

Today's loss likely eliminated any chance of Auburn hosting a regional but it's probably just as well that they did lose.  Penta hasn't been her best during the tournament and she has mentioned being fatigued late in the season.  Bowing out early will give her an extra day, and one less game pitched, to recover before the regionals start.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, EagleEye67 said:

This. Shelby did great before the 7th, but if you want to lock it down you need Maddie.

I disagree. Up until that moment Lowe looked better than Penta today. How the heck are you supposed to know to magically switched to Penta with 2 outs in the seventh?

Edited by KansasTiger
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

I disagree. Up until that moment Lowe looked better than Penta today. How the heck are you supposed to know to magically switched to Penta with 2 outs in the seventh?

No problem disagreeing.  I thought Penta should have started the 7th. It's all speculation anyway - that might not have worked, either. 

Edited by EagleEye67

14 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

No problem disagreeing.  I thought Penta should have started the 7th. It's all speculation anyway - that might not have worked, either. 

We lost imo because we couldn't score. Which I imagine has been a problem most of the season if I had to guess (haven't watched all season, just guessing). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Golden Eagle said:

Didn't help that she walked a batter before giving up the HR. 

Doesn't that seem to always happen? We walk the first batter in the 7th with a 1 or 2 run lead.  Unbelievable.  It almost always bites you, but a baserunner with no outs puts so much pressure on pitcher, moreso in softball.  I will say it was worse when the slapbunts were allowed while leaving the box.  Thank goodness they stopped that

12 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

I agree with bringing Maddie back in for the 7th inning. With the exception of a strikeout or two, I believe the last 4 or 5 hitters that Shelby pitched to in the 6th and 7th inning hit long fly ball outs to the warning track. It was just a matter of time until a one of these long balls went out of the park. Too bad, otherwise Shelby pitched well. We just needed to have provided her with some run support, which did not happen today. Got to give the South Carolina girls credit for pulling out the victory. They hit when it really counted and we did not with our best hitters up in the bottom of the 7th.

I said in the 6th we really needed to get a run or two, but thought maybe we would get a little going on Gobourne with the way we were hitting the day before and the start of the game.  Hitting is contagious and thought we would be a little more confident.  Sounds like we immediately got away from our approach once she came in.  Oh well.  Curious where we end up.  Just please no FSU again.