SEC Softball Tournament 2023 bracket, schedule, TV info

Oh my ... Bri flexed that ball deeeeeeep, but late pull foul

Now deep center, an effective sacrifice out.  Gets bryant to 3rd. Tresvik up with 1 on and 1 out. Do it again girl!

Drats. Pop out.  Now 2 outs. Getting Bryant home will be huge.  Abby Smith hitting. 

Edited by AUBwins

Abby staying in instead of Garcia returning because of defense next inning with 1 run lead.  But she is watching a 3-0 count now.  

Now 3-2 on two takes, small bloop to SS. Crap.  Couldn't get the insurance home.  Maddie gonna try to close it out with 1 run lead

Runners on 2nd and 3rd for ole miss. Long turn because we got ball in quick.  Dig deep Maddie! Get a couple Ks

Edited by AUBwins

Walk the bases loaded.  1 out.  Yesterday hero for Ole Miss up to bat

Ump is not giving a consistent zone for Maddie.  I think that's been her struggle.  Big strikeout!!!!

Now supposedly another hit batter and ties game.  Gonna challenge to see if leaned in

Call reversed. Gets behind 3-0.  Then Maddie strikes her out!!!! What a gutsy performance when nothing worked!!! Auburn wins!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

Thanks for the updates @AUBwins!

The delayed start and the very long game helped.  Just glad I could provide insight

19 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Now supposedly another hit batter and ties game.  Gonna challenge to see if leaned in

That girl straight up guided her forearm into that pitch... Absolutely Deliberate!! Glad the review crew got it right...

• Like 1

Maybe @WarTigercan better explain why the call was reversed yet the batter was HBP. I don't even know what the rule is anymore lol.  Inning before she was over the plate, but batter did not show to lean in so allowed the batter to go to first.  2nd time ball was in box and hit batter but had to stay with a ball call instead of tying run scoring.  Then the strikeout ends it.  Btw Maddie struck out Ole Miss 2 best hitters in consecutive innings with bases loaded.  She's my hero!

Maddie post game interview was excellent. Go watch. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

That girl straight up guided her forearm into that pitch... Absolutely Deliberate!! Glad the review crew got it right...

That's what I thought. 

All in all this was Penta's most impressive win to me in her career.  No consistent strike zone, poor control, gives up 4 runs and knocked out after 2-1/3 innings, comes back and strikes out Ole Miss slugger with bases loaded in 6th, gets bases loaded again in 7th, thinks she hit a batter to tie it, and comes back to strike her out with game on the line.  Maddie is HER!

Postgame she said she had to remember that she's Maddie Penta and that justice was served!

A fun fact: Sikes was committed to Auburn until a few weeks before the signing period. She signed with Georgia and transferred to Ole Miss this year as a graduate student. 

10 hours ago, WarTiger said:

This isn't baseball.  Penta could easily pitch all 3 games in the tournament if necessary.  Not ideal, but other teams in the past have used one pitcher in post season play.  My only issue starting Lowe is for some odd reason, she doesn't get the run support.  Our bats just aren't up to par when she pitches for some reason.  Remember Lowe is also on a pretty strict pitch count.

Dean announced before the South Carolina series that Lowe was fully cleared to pitch with NO pitch count.   She hasn't yet returned to her freshman form, though, unfortunately.  I hope she gets there...we need her.

And, yes, a lot of teams rely on their ace during the post season but that doesn't mean they don't get fatigued, and sometimes deal with nagging injuries, towards the end of the season.  Maddie said after the Mississippi State series that her body was feeling the wear and tear of the season and she said it again after today's game.  Not only has she pitched at least twice in every SEC series, she has often pitched in mid-week contests as well.  She's a beast and I hope she holds up through the WCWS.

Frustrating to see a couple of really bad base-running errors today (JABA) - an ongoing issue.  Happy for the win, tho! 

Edited by Golden Eagle
Corrected spelling

15 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

All in all this was Penta's most impressive win to me in her career.  No consistent strike zone, poor control, gives up 4 runs and knocked out after 2-1/3 innings, comes back and strikes out Ole Miss slugger with bases loaded in 6th, gets bases loaded again in 7th, thinks she hit a batter to tie it, and comes back to strike her out with game on the line.  Maddie is HER!

Postgame she said she had to remember that she's Maddie Penta and that justice was served!

I agree. The zone was inconsistent from inning to inning, it was alright very tight at times. Penta showed why she is one of the best. Widra also did a good job of keeping Ole Miss off the board minus the HR.

Overall, it was not a pretty game. Good teams find ways to win though, and we did that today. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

Maybe @WarTigercan better explain why the call was reversed yet the batter was HBP. I don't even know what the rule is anymore lol.  Inning before she was over the plate, but batter did not show to lean in so allowed the batter to go to first.  2nd time ball was in box and hit batter but had to stay with a ball call instead of tying run scoring.  Then the strikeout ends it.  Btw Maddie struck out Ole Miss 2 best hitters in consecutive innings with bases loaded.  She's my hero!

Here are the rules for 'hit by pitch' from the 2022-2023 NCAA Women's Softball Rules:

https://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4639-2022-and-2023-ncaa-womens-softball-rules.aspx

The call was reversed because the batter was deemed to have leaned into the pitch (rule 11.13.3.1)

11.13 Hit Batter (by Pitch)
11.13.1 A batter is awarded first base when a pitch, neither swung at nor called a
strike, is entirely within the batter’s box and it strikes the batter or their clothing.
No attempt to avoid being hit by the pitch is required; however, the batter may
not obviously try to get hit by the pitch. (See Rule 11.13.3.1)
11.13.2 A batter is awarded first base when a pitch neither swung at nor called
a strike touches any part of the batter or their clothing while they are in the
batter’s box, except as noted in Rule 11.13.3 that follows.
EFFECT—(11.13.1 and 11.13.2)—The ball is dead. The batter is entitled
to first base without liability to be put out. Base runners may not
advance unless forced.
Notes:
1. It does not matter if the ball strikes the ground before hitting the batter.
2. The batter’s hands are not considered part of the bat.
3. If a batter swings and the ball hits their hands sending it into fair or foul
territory, the ball is dead and a strike is called on the batter. If it is strike three,
the batter is out.

11.13.3 The hit batter shall not be awarded first base under the following
circumstances:
11.13.3.1 The batter made no attempt to avoid the pitch (which is not
entirely in the batter’s box) or they obviously tried to get hit by the pitch
(regardless of its location).
EFFECT—The ball is dead. The pitch is a ball or strike (depending on its
location), and the batter remains at bat, except the batter is declared out
if the pitch was a third strike or the batter is awarded first base if the
pitch was “Ball four.” Base runners advance if forced.
Note: The benefit of any doubt must go to the batter and could include a batter

freezing and unable to move due to the unusual movement or speed of the pitch.
11.13.3.2 The batter is hit by a pitch in the strike zone or by a pitch that
does not reach the plate but would have been in the strike zone had it not hit the batter.
EFFECT—The ball is dead. The pitch is a strike. The batter is declared
out if the pitch was a third strike; otherwise, they remain at bat. Each
base runner must return to the base legally occupied at the time of the
pitch.

11.13.3.3 The pitch touches any part of the batter, including their hands or
clothing, as they swing and miss for a third strike.

EFFECT—The ball is dead. The batter is declared out, and each base runner
must return to the base legally occupied at the time of the pitch.

11.13.3.4 The batter is hit by a pitch that has not yet reached the front line
of the batter’s box, and is not judged as having been able to enter the
strike zone, assuming they did not swing or attempt to bunt.
EFFECT—“No Pitch.” See Rule 10.10.

• Thanks 1

Thanks.  That clears it up. 

Very happy for the girls that they were able to fight through this one and pull it out; however, we had three baserunners thrown out.  This has been a recurrent theme all season; we must lead the conference in it, if one could find such a stat.  Can't make third from second on a grounder to short.  My Little League team knew that.  Rant over.  Now let's pluck the Gamecocks!

Edited by OlderWhiskey
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Maddie post game interview was excellent. Go watch. 

• Like 1

Nice win by Auburn today, had the calm look of champions out there. Some seriously questionable base running at times.

• Like 1