The ACLU has become a sad joke

TexasTiger

Here’s another illustration of why I post on issues related to current gender ideology. For most of my life I strongly supported the ACLU. It was a clearly principled organization supporting free speech, even when it offends because that’s usually when it needs defending. Now, they rail against any deviation from gender ideology dogma like any other fundamentalist group does when they perceive someone to be a heretic. They now oppose free speech they deem “transphobic” which they seem to define as as any variation from approved dogma. 

How far gone is this group? Today’s tweet:
07973042-8CAA-44D3-8F14-9D3A466AD2F1.jpeg

Duane’s crimes:

D2E6D47D-6B03-412B-8CFC-3027A6980EE9.jpeg

Duane’s lawyers argued he was insane:

05C3B1C5-EB60-4C95-B368-9E1C13B2A673.jpeg

Does the ACLU argue it was wrong to execute an insane person, in keeping with lawyers arguments? Of course not. Didn’t even mention it. The issue they decry was that the state of Florida didn’t transition Duane with “medically necessary care.” The narrative trumps all. Even recognizing the insanity plea would be problematic to the narrative, so this individual’s case becomes a prop to be used for their new true mission.

https://apnews.com/article/execution-florida-crime-death-penalty-d49e5c9b58de4952a08cf8d418857e3d

As a rapist and murderer they should have shown mercy and justice, not by providing gender affirming care but instead to ensure he didn’t have to suffer for 30 years - they should have executed him much faster.  

• Like 2

Great post.

I got questions tho about the ACLU Position.

1) Most people WANT rapists castrated. So is the ACLU arguing FOR the castration of rapists here? 😉

2) Is the dude cray-cray or not? Seems he was giving a half-hearted crazy performance at best. 

3) Dude/Beyotch was executed 39 years later. How do they feel about the victims being denied any justice? 

4) Duane is a she? Why didn't the guy even start using a female name if he is trans? 

5) Ultimately, yes the ACLU, and unfortunately, the SPLC have both left the realm of sanity. The SPLC just lists any organization that it or any of its donors find even slightly offensive. 

https://www.congress.gov/116/meeting/house/109266/documents/HHRG-116-JU00-20190409-SD022.pdf

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Great post.

I got questions tho about the ACLU Position.

1) Most people WANT rapists castrated. So is the ACLU arguing FOR the castration of rapists here? 😉

2) Is the dude cray-cray or not? Seems he was giving a half-hearted crazy performance at best. 

3) Dude/Beyotch was executed 39 years later. How do they feel about the victims being denied any justice? 

4) Duane is a she? Why didn't the guy even start using a female name if he is trans? 

5) Ultimately, yes the ACLU, and unfortunately, the SPLC have both left the realm of sanity. The SPLC just lists any organization that it or any of its donors find even slightly offensive. 

https://www.congress.gov/116/meeting/house/109266/documents/HHRG-116-JU00-20190409-SD022.pdf

Left a note that morning of execution claiming to be a 13 year old named “Tula.”

At 7:45 a.m., corrections officers reported receiving a note that read, “I have seen the visions of the crow, my energy and particles will transform ad infinitum [eternally], I will live on. I am Tula. 13.”

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Left a note that morning of execution claiming to be a 13 year old named “Tula.”

At 7:45 a.m., corrections officers reported receiving a note that read, “I have seen the visions of the crow, my energy and particles will transform ad infinitum [eternally], I will live on. I am Tula. 13.”

Wow. Why 13? 

On 6/16/2023 at 5:27 PM, GoAU said:

As a rapist and murderer they should have shown mercy and justice, not by providing gender affirming care but instead to ensure he didn’t have to suffer for 30 years - they should have executed him much faster.  

I totally agree.

• Like 1

Huh... well... that was not the ACLU I was involved with in law school

On 6/18/2023 at 10:30 AM, TexasTiger said:

Who knows? Maybe so the ACLU could claim they executed a minor.

So he could avoid his sentence?

On 6/16/2023 at 11:17 AM, TexasTiger said:

The issue they decry was that the state of Florida didn’t transition Duane with “medically necessary care.”

Which is what they do. Do it well. They are a huge asset for special needs children and educational plans. Especially with uncooperative systems. Maybe just doing what they do Tex.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Which is what they do. Do it well. They are a huge asset for special needs children and educational plans. Especially with uncooperative systems. Maybe just doing what they do Tex.

You equate those situations?

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

No I do not. I said maybe doing what they do. 

There’s a federal law on what special needs children are entitled to. A lawyer can step in and insist the law is followed. There is none in this case. There’s an insane claim that it’s cruel and unusual punishment to not fund sexual transition, although I’ve seen no evidence the inmate even requested it and certainly didn’t 30 years ago as they claim. This case is about ideology. ACLU wouldn’t have touched this years ago.

• Thanks 1

Just now, TexasTiger said:

There’s a federal law on what special needs children are entitled to. A lawyer can step in and insist the law is followed. There is none in this case. There’s an insane claim that it’s cruel and unusual punishment to not fund sexual transition, although I’ve seen no evidence the inmate even requested it and certainly didn’t 30 years ago as they claim. This case is about ideology. ACLU wouldn’t have touched this years ago.

Understand your feelings if that is the case. I depend on you and Nola. 

The ACLU has a long history of doing good things and continue to do so.  I am not going to write them off and cease my support of their work based on one action.

5 hours ago, homersapien said:

The ACLU has a long history of doing good things and continue to do so.  I am not going to write them off and cease my support of their work based on one action.

It’s hardly one action. They’ve abandoned their support of free speech. It’s a sea change.

They called for the removal of the death penalty in the next tweet in the thread. 

I'm not entirely sure I get the offense. If anything this is a consistent position for the ACLU.

That position being prisoners deserve healthcare. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, AUDub said:

They called for the removal of the death penalty in the next tweet in the thread. 

Secondary and generic. They claim he was denied gender affirming care for 30 years. Can you find any evidence anywhere that he requested it and when? His attorneys said he was insane. Too insane to execute— do you think people deemed insane are in the right mindset to consent for medical providers to make such life-changing decisions? Did the ACLU mirror the legal argument that they executed an insane man? Or did they totally ignore that argument because it weighed against getting such “care”?

25 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I'm not entirely sure I get the offense. If anything this is a consistent position for the ACLU.

That position being prisoners deserve healthcare. 

Not the legal argument made by counsel. The ACLU has long opposed the death penalty and have particularly argued against when they claim the person lacked capacity to understand their crime. This is a novel argument by them that ignores their long-term prior stance. 

26 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Secondary and generic. They claim he was denied gender affirming care for 30 years.

That's because they believe it is cruel and unusual in its own right. 

Substitute, for example, a broken bone. It they'd lead with "Duane Owen was forced to endure an untreated broken femur for 30 year while on death row," would you find it quite as objectionable?

Can you find any evidence anywhere that he requested it and when?

Earliest reference I see where there was an indication of a disorder would be this article from 8 years ago:

https://thecoastalstar.com/profiles/blogs/should-mental-illness-spare-owen-from-execution

His attorneys said he was insane. Too insane to execute— do you think people deemed insane are in the right mindset to consent for medical providers to make such life-changing decisions?

I think it's the provider's job to figure that out.

Regardless, he should be afforded that care while he is in the state's custody, same as he'd be entitled to treatment for a fever or a broken leg.

Did the ACLU mirror the legal argument that they executed an insane man? Or did they totally ignore that argument because it weighed against getting such “care”?

A position on which they're quite clear and have been for decades. Again, substitute a broken leg or something. Would you still be asking "why choose to focus on that?" 

Not the legal argument made by counsel. The ACLU has long opposed the death penalty and have particularly argued against when they claim the person lacked capacity to understand their crime. This is a novel argument by them that ignores their long-term prior stance. 

He isn't entitled to care for his claim of dysphoria because I think he lacks the capacity to understand the implications.

Is that what you're saying? 

Edited by AUDub

20 minutes ago, AUDub said:

He isn't entitled to care for his claim of dysphoria because I think he lacks the capacity to understand the implications.

Is that what you're saying? 

I’m asking you a direct question you refuse to answer.

Too insane to execute— do you think people deemed insane are in the right mindset to consent for medical providers to make such life-changing decisions?

24 minutes ago, AUDub said:

That's because they believe it is cruel and unusual in its own right. 

Substitute, for example, a broken bone. It they'd lead with "Duane Owen was forced to endure an untreated broken femur for 30 year while on death row," would you find it quite as objectionable?

Earliest reference I see where there was an indication of a disorder would be this article from 8 years ago:

https://thecoastalstar.com/profiles/blogs/should-mental-illness-spare-owen-from-execution

I think it's the provider's job to figure that out.

Regardless, he should be afforded that care while he is in the state's custody, same as he'd be entitled to treatment for a fever or a broken leg.

A position on which they're quite clear and have been for decades. Again, substitute a broken leg or something. Would you still be asking "why choose to focus on that?" 

You conveniently ignore my most salient points. Ask yourself why.