WSFA Prediction

aulax1

September 3 - Georgia Tech at Auburn - Still smarting from an early-season whipping administered by the Techsters two years ago, Auburn's upperclassmen address the team on the eve of the season opener. Result: Payback! Auburn 28, Georgia Tech 17

September 10 - Mississippi State at Auburn - The Tigers take care of business in the SEC opener. Now that Jackie Sherrill's gone, Tommy Tuberville's ill will toward the Bulldogs is fading. No more running up the score. Auburn 24, Mississippi State 14

September 17 - Ball State at Auburn - A walk-on's dream. The starters sit out the second half, giving the second and third-teamers a chance to step onto the field at Jordan-Hare. Auburn 38, Ball State 7

September 24 - Western Kentucky at Auburn - I know you need all the home games you can get to generate revenue, but back-to-back cupcakes leaves a few fans longing for "home and home" series with top-flight competition (See Southern Cal ('02-'03) and Syracuse ('01 and '02)). Auburn 42, Western Kentucky 10

October 1 - South Carolina at Auburn - Five straight home games. Steve Spurrier returns to the plains. His Gamecocks don't remind anyone of his old Gator teams. Auburn 27, South Carolina 20

October 15 - Auburn at Arkansas - After an off-week, the Tigers make their first road trip. Fayetteville is lovely this time of year, especially if you're the visiting team. Don't look now, but the Tigers are 6-0. Auburn 24, Arkansas 17

October 22 - Auburn at LSU - The Tigers tried to recruit Jamarcus Russell a few years ago. Auburn's loss was LSU's gain. The Bengal Tigers avenge last year's loss on the plains. LSU 17, Auburn 14

October 29 - Ole Miss at Auburn - Stung by the loss in Baton Rouge, the Tigers regroup. The Rebels are leading in the 4th quarter, when Tommy Jackson's fumble recovery and 55-yard touchdown run seals the deal. Auburn 23, Ole Miss 20

November 5 - Auburn at Kentucky - When does basketball practice start? That's what they're asking in Lexington come November. Auburn 31, Kentucky 17

November 12 - Auburn at Georgia - Like LSU, the Bulldogs are determined to exact revenge for last year's loss. Like so many in this series, this one is an "Instant Classic," but Georgia gets a tie-breaking field goal in the final minutes. Georgia 24, Auburn 21

November 19 - Alabama at Auburn - Iron Bowl 2005 sees the Tigers valiantly defend their home-field, against a spirited Crimson Tide team. Tre Smith saves his best for Bama, just like he did 3 years ago. Auburn 27, Alabama 23

There you have it. 9-2. Second in the West (behind LSU).

Make your travel plans to Orlando. It's back to the Capital One Bowl on January 2nd.

See you there!

Last year's best scoring defense in the country, and what should still be one of this year's best defenses, and they are projecting us to give up 17 points a game (compared to 11 a game last year). That would mean a drop from 1st to about 18th in the country. I personally think with the teams we are playing we should still be in the Top 10 defensively.

Offensively, their prediction works out to 27 points a game, from 18th last year (at 33 points a game) to about 49th in the country this year. I am confident Borges will have us ranked higher than that at the end of the year offensively. Even 'Bama last year without a QB averaged almost 25 points per game.

As talented as this team is, I just don't see us dropping from an average delta score of about 22 points to 10 points. I don't have the precise Stats (I am no StatTiger), but I would think teams only averaging about 10 more than their opponets is barely going to finish in the Top 25. LSU, last year at 9-3, won by an average of 13 points per game. I guess my point is, we may only finish 9-2, but I don't think the 9 wins are almost all going to be that close...

Archived