7.6.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

247sports.com

Most Valuable Tigers No 14

Nathan King
5–6 minutes

We're still in the heart of the college football offseason: three months removed from spring practice, media day later this month, and more than two months until the start of the 2023 season, Auburn’s first under Hugh Freeze.

So what better time to crank up the rankings? As we do annually this time of year, Auburn Undercover is counting down the top 25 most valuable players for the Tigers' 2023 season.

A few notes to set the table: These rankings are based on a player's previous contributions to the team, as well as his assumed impact in 2023 — how important he is expected to be to Auburn's success in both production and the win-loss column.

It is not simply Auburn's best players in descending order. If a freshman is included on the list, his positioning is obviously a projection of his talent and significance to his respective position group.

Next up is No. 14: Western Kentucky offensive tackle transfer Gunner Britton.

AS A RECRUIT

Hometown: Conway, South Carolina

Class: 2018

247Sports ranking: No. 212 OT, No. 2,649 nationally

AS A PLAYER

11555243.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(James Black, Getty)

Britton boasts plenty of experience — and versatility — from the Group of Five level. The South Carolina native started all 14 games for WKU this past season — the first six games at right tackle, then the remaining schedule at left tackle. In three seasons playing for the Hilltoppers, 2022 was Britton's only as a full-time starter, but he started 19 games and appeared in 45 games overall.

Britton was one of the top pass protectors in not just the Group of Five but college football overall. Pro Football Focus named him as the No. 3 offensive tackle transfer and highlighted his elite pass-blocking numbers in 2022.

"Britton recorded an 87.0 pass-blocking grade this season, ranking fifth among all offensive tackles in college football," wrote PFF's Max Chadwick. "The redshirt junior allowed a pressure on only 1.7% of his pass-blocking snaps, the fifth-lowest rate among FBS tackles. He was the eighth-most-valuable tackle in the nation this year, according to PFF’s wins above average metric."

Britton was part of an early focus for Auburn’s staff on securing its offensive tackles in the portal, as he committed from Western Kentucky as the Tigers’ fourth transfer pickup of the cycle, following left tackle Dillon Wade from Tulsa.

Britton and Wade are ranked as the No. 5 and No. 1 transfer offensive tackles by 247Sports, respectively.

2023 OUTLOOK

A monster athlete at 6-foot-6 and 305 pounds, it didn’t take long in spring ball for Britton to settle in as the Tigers’ starting right tackle. Seeing as redshirt sophomore Colby Smith, who transferred after the spring anyway, was the only returning player on Auburn’s roster who had ever taken a snap at tackle, Auburn’s staff was hoping its transfers would make an immediate impact.

In Britton’s case, he brought a veteran presence and a consistency to a position that’s certainly lacked the latter in recent seasons. In line with his most successful traits from Western Kentucky, Britton has been a tough solve for Auburn’s pass-rushers.

“He learns from his mistakes,” now-former Auburn defensive end Marcus Bragg said. “Once he sees why he lost, he goes back and corrects it. The next rep, he comes back and you can’t do it again.”

On Auburn’s depth chart, the likely projection is that Britton will be backed up by JUCO transfer Izavion Miller. The team’s best-case scenario is that Britton and Wade will continue to develop and flourish in their jump to the Power Five level, and Miller can serve as a break-glass backup for both tackle spots.

That’s not to say Britton is easily replaceable, though. Freeze and new position coach Jake Thornton did about as quality a job recruiting transfer offensive linemen as possible, and Britton is one of a trio of probable transfer starters this season who could help elevate the group and shed the aura of instability that’s plagued it in recent years.

WHAT THEY SAID

“You could tell that Gunner has played a ton of football at multiple positions. The way he practices, the way he carries himself, he kind of has that demeanor out there that I think a lot of people naturally, they flock to him in practice situations because he's got so much experience.” — Thornton

WHAT SAY YOU?

What do you think of Brittons’ spot in our Most Valuable Tigers rankings? Too high? Too low? Just right? Share your thoughts on the Bodda Getta message board, on Twitter or on Facebook.

MOST VALUABLE TIGERS

No. 25: LB Cam Riley

No. 24: DL Mosiah Nasili-Kite

No. 23: LB Larry Nixon III

No. 22: S Zion Puckett

No. 21: K Alex McPherson

No. 20: LB Austin Keys

No. 19: WR Camden Brown

No. 18: WR Shane Hooks

No. 17: P Oscar Chapman

No. 16: OLB Jalen McLeod

No. 15: WR Ja’Varrius Johnson

*** 75% OFF: Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

*** Get Auburn news straight to your inbox with the Auburn Undercover newsletter ***

• Thanks 1

saturdaydownsouth.com

Auburn picks up commitment from elite in-state LB prospect

Spenser Davis
~3 minutes

Auburn added a key piece to its 2024 recruiting class on Tuesday.

War Eagle! Get Auburn news straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to the Saturday Football Newsletter and get updates whenever big Auburn news happens.

By subscribing, you confirm you're 21+ and have never self-excluded from betting/gambling, agree to our T&Cs and Privacy Policy, and consent to receive updates/offers. Unsubscribe Anytime.

Auburn.png

The Tigers picked up a commitment from 3-star linebacker D’Angelo Barber. He also had offers from several other SEC programs, including Arkansas, Kentucky and Texas A&M.

Here’s his announcement:

Barber, an Alabama native, is a significant addition for Auburn. He’s the No. 492 overall player and the No. 45 linebacker in the country for the class of 2024, per 247Sports Composite rankings. He’s also the No. 25 player from the state of Alabama.

He attends Clay-Chalkville High School in Pinson, Alabama. Barber is listed at 6-foot, 221 pounds.

Barber took multiple trips to Auburn this spring prior to making this decision. He also took official visits to Arkansas and Georgia Tech in June.

Auburn is continuing to build momentum in the class of 2024. The Tigers now have 9 commits in this class and own the No. 48-ranked class in the country, according to 247Sports Composite rankings.

Here are some highlights from his junior year:

TRENDING

58,148 READS

51,772 READS

23,016 READS

e01c7c4f9957bc498cb9cfb814d2da69?s=100&d

Spenser is the news manager at Saturday Road and covers college football across all Saturday Football brands. Follow on Twitter.

We do not target any individuals under the age of 21. We support responsible gambling. If you feel like you're losing control over your gambling experience, call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ, PA, WV), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-BETS-OFF (IA), 1-888- 532-3500(Virginia) 1-800-522-4700 (NV, TN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO, TN), 1-855-2CALLGA (IL), 1-800-270-7117 (MI).

About Saturday Down South | Ethics and Editorial Standards | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Other Conferences: Big Ten | ACC | Pac-12

auburntigers.com

On The Plains with Jalil Irvin: 'Work hard for everything you get'

Auburn University Athletics
5–6 minutes

AUBURN, Ala. – Senior offensive lineman Jalil Irvin has seen a lot throughout his six-year tenure in the Loveliest Village on the Plains – changes involving head coaches, coordinators and position coaches, winning seasons and losing seasons. Through it all, one thing has continued to grow through his resiliency: Jalil’s determination to become a true Auburn man.

The Stone Mountain, Georgia, native committed to Auburn during his junior year of high school and never looked back.

“I knew this was the place for me and I could grow into the person I wanted to be here at Auburn,” the Stephenson High School graduate said. “There are such great people here from the coaches that recruited me to the coaches who are here now I feel like everyone has looked after me. I’ve really connected with the people here because everyone is so nice and friendly. This is the type of place where, if someone sees you with a flat tire, they will pull over and help you.”

As he approaches his last season wearing orange and blue, Irvin – who has played in 34 career games for the Tigers – is prepared to do anything he can to help his team be successful.

“I want my last year to go out with a bang,” he said. “I want our team to have good camaraderie and for all of us to come together and do what we can do, which is putting Auburn football where it’s supposed to be. Last year wasn’t where we wanted to be, but I think this year we have the opportunity to be really good and we’ll get there.” 

Auburn Offensive Lineman Jalil Irvin (50) Auburn Tigers vs. Mizzou Tigers at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala.  on Saturday, Sep. 24, 2022. Zach Bland/Auburn Tigers

If you’re looking for someone who embodies the words of George Petrie from the Auburn Creed – “I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully” – look no further than Jalil Irvin.

The December 2022 graduate of the Harbert College of Business recognizes the value of an Auburn University degree and hopes to begin a career in the sports financial field after his graduate degree in December.

“When you put Auburn on a resume it’ll automatically stand out because this is one of the best schools in the country,” he said. “My mom is a teacher so education played a big part in my decision to come to play football at Auburn.”

Above all, Irvin has something else he’ll be able to look back on and be proud of. He knows what hard work looks like, as it says in the Creed: “I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.”

“Becoming an Auburn man has taught me how to deal with adversity,” he said. “This is my sixth year and every year I’ve had a different offensive coordinator.  Being here [at Auburn] has taught me how to go through something and not just give up and to keep fighting.

“You never know what will happen when you keep fighting and keep working because good things could come to you. You could have a different boss every year out in the real world like I’ve had a different offensive coordinator. So, playing football at Auburn has helped prepare me for the real world. 
“I’m now used to working with all different types of people. Everything is about how you look at it. I’ve been able to learn something new each year from everyone.”

Auburn Offensive Lineman Jalil Irvin (#50) during the Game between the Auburn Tigers and the Auburn Tigers at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Al on Saturday, Apr 8, 2023. Grayson Belanger/Auburn Tigers

Reflecting on his time at Auburn, Irvin said he’d remember the workouts and running stairs inside Jordan-Hare Stadium on early summer mornings the most. However, there’s nothing like playing in JHS with his teammates beside him and the Auburn Family behind them.

“Coming to Auburn from Stone Mountain was a culture shock,” he said. “Just leaving everything that I’d known and coming here, it was hard to get used to everything. But that’s college life and life in general. Now I can look back and say that I’m glad I came here.

“If you’re going to be at Auburn, you have to work hard. It’s in the Creed and everyone who’s here knows what this place stands for. Auburn is a blue-collar place and that means we believe in hard work. There’s nothing here that’s going to be handed to you; you have to work hard for everything you get.”

Jalil Irvin has spent the past six seasons growing into a true Auburn man embodying the Auburn Creed.

Dalton Odom is a student assistant in Auburn Athletics Communications

al.com

Auburn football sells out its season tickets for 2023

Published: Jul. 05, 2023, 4:19 p.m.

~2 minutes

Auburn Tigers Sports

Auburn announces season-ticket sellout for 2023 football season

Nov 19, 2022; Auburn, Al, USA; Robby Ashford (9) celebrates after the game between Auburn and Western Kentucky at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Zach Bland/AU AthleticsZach Bland/AU Athletics

Auburn’s Jordan-Hare Stadium will hold a record-setting number of season ticket holders in 2023, the school announced Wednesday.

After having sold 63,500 season tickets, Auburn has sold out of public season tickets for the coming season. This breaks the previous record of 62,900 season tickets sold in 2014.

The record mark doesn’t include student season ticket, which are still being sold.

“Our season ticket sellout is a tribute to the Auburn family and is indicative of their passion, excitement, and dedication – that is Auburn Being Auburn,” Auburn athletic director John Cohen said in a release. “Coach Freeze and his staff have done a tremendous job in a short time with spring practice and all phases of recruiting.”

With Wednesday’s announcement, the Tigers’ home game against Georgia on Sept. 30 is also sold out. Meanwhile, tickets for Alabama’s visit to Jordan-Hare on Nov. 25 are quickly dwindling and limited in supply.

“Here’s another example of the passion Auburn fans have for their team,” first-year head coach Hugh Freeze said in a release. “We appreciate that overwhelming support and can’t wait to see everyone in person on September 2 at Jordan-Hare Stadium for Kickoff on The Plains.”

If you purchase a product or register for an account through one of the links on our site, we may receive compensation. By browsing this site, we may share your information with our social media partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Thanks Fifty!!!

• Thanks 1

Great job fifty. Now if you could only figure out how to get paid to do this!!!!  Wait, are you getting an NIL deal (like x amount of gummies?)