College OT system

SLAG-91

I don't remember if the current OT system has been discussed here and frankly, I'm too lazy to look it up.

First off, and I realize I'll get pilloried for this, but the heck with it: I've never thought that a tie should have been removed as a possible outcome. I submit that it should be avoided like Phyllis on a stripper pole, mind you, but the mere prospect of having that happen to you should be incentive enough to dodge the draw.

I've come across a couple of alternate OT formats that, from my vantage point, would be more representative of the first 4 quarters of the game. The one thing that's always bugged me about the college OT is that several aspects of the game are discarded...it's like watching penalty kicks in soccer. Some of those scores from Arkansas' 6 and 7 OT games give me tired head...71-63? C'mon. Anyway, here goes:

A. A modified NFL format...put 15:00 on the clock, a couple of timeouts, coin flip, all that. The difference: The winner is decided by (1) first team to 6 points or (2) whoever is ahead at the end of 15:00. If it's still knotted at the end of 15:00, it's a draw and you go home. If you give up a FG on the first drive of OT, you're still alive...if you run back the ensuing kickoff for a TD, game over.

B. A true "5th quarter." If it's knotted after 4, play a 5th period and see who's up after that's over. If it's tied after the 5th quarter, then that's how it ends.

I think you would see a miniscule number of draws (the NFL has had all of 16 ties in the 30 years of OT...3 in the last 15 years) and I am aware of the would-be implications of a tie in the BCS world we live in (what do you do if you have two teams in your division who are 7-0-1 in league and they tied each other?). FWIW, for conference title games, you could use the current "shootout" format at the end of the 5th period if it's needed.

One thing that the advent of OT has done, by and large, is remove the balls-out decision to go for 2 and the win or 1 and the tie...that's where you found out who had cojones and who, well, didn't.

I like the system. It's intense and nerve wracking(sp? I dunno) as all get out. I can't think of a sport with a more exciting overtime. Maybe I could stand for starting field position to be knocked back to the 45 or 50. But I would also still love it if you started inside the red zone!

I like the system. It's intense and nerve wracking(sp? I dunno) as all get out. I can't think of a sport with a more exciting overtime. Maybe I could stand for starting field position to be knocked back to the 45 or 50. But I would also still love it if you started inside the red zone!

What he said!

Problems with the current OT system:

Punt and punt return teams are taken out of the equation. Seems unfair to the team that may have the better punter/punt coverage or punt return guy.

Starting the drive already in field goal range. Imagine if they started each inning with the bases loaded once a baseball game went to extra innings.

I agree it's entertaining for the fans but I dont think it's the way a football game should be decided. I say give em another quarter and if it's still tied leave it.

I submit that it should be avoided like Phyllis on a stripper pole, mind you...
I believe Phyllis' stage name is "Destiny", if you recall ;)

But I agree that the current overtime procedure in college ball needs improving. I can live with ties in the regular season and even ordinary bowls, but you certainly have to have a way to declare a winner in conference and BCS championship games.

In my perfect world, we'll fix the OT problems when we install the Division 1-A playoff system.

I can live with ties in the regular season and even ordinary bowls, but you certainly have to have a way to declare a winner in conference and BCS championship games.

175190[/snapback]

That's why I included using the current "shootout" format (if needed) after a 5th period/OT in a conference title game...you could certainly extend that to BCS bowl games...no need for the DiGiorno Pizza/UAW Motor City Bowl to go on forever.

Archived