Tou Thao, police officer who kept the crowd back, gets nearly 5 years in George Floyd killing.

AU9377

I don't feel good about this.  He wasn't involved in the actual restraint itself and according to the video and testimony was keeping people in the crowd from rushing the other officers.  I would think that his first reaction would have been to do exactly what he did.  The entire series of events is horrible and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but the victim, in this specific case, while not deserving to die, did contribute to the series of events taking place.  The former officer that placed his knee so heavily on Floyd's neck that it choked him to death certainly deserves the prison time he is facing.  However, I question whether Thao, who never had his hands on Floyd, actually had the time to appreciate exactly what was occurring.  Thoughts?

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/minneapolis-officer-faces-sentencing-state-charge-role-george-102063365

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

It is not enough to merely not be the bully.  You have to be willing to stand up to the bully.

While I do agree with that statement, I am just uneasy that this particular officer had an opportunity to evaluate the situation and actually determine that the other officers involved were actually behaving in a manner that required intervention.  His priority was to keep a very tense crowd back and allow his fellow officers to complete their work.  To his misfortune, that work was not in compliance with procedures they are trained to abide by.    The total time involved was 9 minutes.  I'm not sure that any other officer in his shoes would have acted any differently. 

Like I mentioned above, that doesn't excuse Chauvin, the actual officer that had his knee on Floyd's throat.  He deserved to be charged and is now serving 22 years in prison.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

While I do agree with that statement, I am just uneasy that this particular officer had an opportunity to evaluate the situation and actually determine that the other officers involved were actually behaving in a manner that required intervention.  His priority was to keep a very tense crowd back and allow his fellow officers to complete their work.  To his misfortune, that work was not in compliance with procedures they are trained to abide by.    The total time involved was 9 minutes.  I'm not sure that any other officer in his shoes would have acted any differently. 

Like I mentioned above, that doesn't excuse Chauvin, the actual officer that had his knee on Floyd's throat.  He deserved to be charged and is now serving 22 years in prison.

I understand.  However, it is up to every officer to evaluate the situation, the entire situation. 

If I were a juror, I don't know how I would look at this.  However, I have heard some commentary on television that,,, Thao showed little sympathy and, no remorse for what happened.

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I don't feel good about this.  He wasn't involved in the actual restraint itself and according to the video and testimony was keeping people in the crowd from rushing the other officers.  I would think that his first reaction would have been to do exactly what he did.  The entire series of events is horrible and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but the victim, in this specific case, while not deserving to die, did contribute to the series of events taking place.  The former officer that placed his knee so heavily on Floyd's neck that it choked him to death certainly deserves the prison time he is facing.  However, I question whether Thao, who never had his hands on Floyd, actually had the time to appreciate exactly what was occurring.  Thoughts?

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/minneapolis-officer-faces-sentencing-state-charge-role-george-102063365

Bad decision. Hopefully will be overturned by a higher court.

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

It is not enough to merely not be the bully.  You have to be willing to stand up to the bully.

Did you not read the part about his attempts to keep the crowd at bay, or is your high horse of such altitude that you deem that to be wholly insufficient?

As to the verdict, I'm of the opinion it's garbage. He probably couldn't have been much worse off legally if he'd have just ducktail and ran away from the scene, sadly.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

I agree overall (not knowing all the facts). My broader concern is there are few jobs that are that dangerous, pay so little, require life and death insightful / fast judgements, and have such severe consequences for a mistake on the job.  Plus has been demonized in some circles.  Again, I agree overall but I worry what sort of personality profile is willing to sign up for being an officer in the future. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

Did you not read the part about his attempts to keep the crowd at bay, or is your high horse of such altitude that you deem that to be wholly insufficient?

As to the verdict, I'm of the opinion it's garbage. He probably couldn't have been much worse off legally if he'd have just ducktail and ran away from the scene, sadly.

The crowd was not the problem.  The murderer wearing a badge was the problem.  At least, that's what I saw from the top of my "high horse".

38 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Bad decision. Hopefully will be overturned by a higher court.

Coming from someone who was not in the court, heard no testimony.

You simply want to disregard a jury?  Based upon,,, your opinion?

May God bless every woman and man who decides to wear the uniform.  As AUnatl alluded, you make $45k to sacrifice your life every minute of every shift.   You have interactions where you have to make split second decisions with incomplete data.    You know someone or several who died doing what you are doing.   I think of the female police officer who had been on the job for over 20 years, a good cop and had NEVER pulled her gun.   She mistakingly pulled her gun instead of her taser, while saying taser, taser, taser and shot a guy as he pulled away from her.   I can't remember if she got prison time, but I do recall she lost her career.    It is an exacting job that doesn't;t forgive mistakes.   

• Like 4

2 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

The crowd was not the problem.  The murderer wearing a badge was the problem.  At least, that's what I saw from the top of my "high horse".

Tou Thao a murderer?  Not even legally, and not under anyone with a brain's definition of murder, which excludes the jurisprudence of the state of Minnesota, because they've morphed that to and beyond the limits of credulity.  Keep reaching, Stretch Armstrong.

As to the judge and jury, yep, I stand by my opinion.  You don't have to like it or accept it.  Facepalm or thumbs-down it to your heart's content.

6 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

True. You have a definite point. But we weren’t there and I’m not prepared to hang him a dawn.   Btw The interesting thing about liberals is how much you love and trust government. Most want to grow the heck out of it and have  it fix, manage, and control just about everything…. Unless it’s law enforcement or  the military - who aren't perfect but only they in gov risk their lives to protect us. Those you don’t trust or love.

I find that odd.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Coming from someone who was not in the court, heard no testimony.

You simply want to disregard a jury?  Based upon,,, your opinion?

Yes, IMO.

18 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

Most want to grow the heck out of it and have  it fix, manage, and control just about everything….

The limit of most peoples' understanding.

Let's continue to privatize the functions of government.  We can create an even larger national debt.

18 hours ago, SLAG-91 said:

Tou Thao a murderer?  Not even legally, and not under anyone with a brain's definition of murder, which excludes the jurisprudence of the state of Minnesota, because they've morphed that to and beyond the limits of credulity.  Keep reaching, Stretch Armstrong.

As to the judge and jury, yep, I stand by my opinion.  You don't have to like it or accept it.  Facepalm or thumbs-down it to your heart's content.

Sorry for not being clear.  No, Thao is not the murder.  He is one of the many who should have prevented the murder.

And by the way,,, why so triggered by this?

Edited by icanthearyou