Aid to Maui

AURex

I spent three years of my childhood in Hawaii as my dad was stationed there. So my sympathies for our countrymen on Maui runs deep. And most of all to indigenous Hawaiians who mostly work in low paying service roles, who have not only lost their homes and belongings, but also their jobs.

If you are inclined to contribute to help those who have lost everything, don't get rooked by a scam, don't give to an inefficient bureaucracy like Red Cross.

For people in need: Maui United Way

For animals in need: Maui Humane Society

In honor of our friends in Hawai'i, let's remember the most celebrated of singers among Hawaiian people, Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole. Upon his death, thousands gathered for the traditional send-off, spreading his ashes in the ocean. One song captures his legacy, and the sensibility of the Hawaiian people.

Edited by AURex
  • Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 6:24 PM, AURex said:

If you are inclined to contribute to help those who have lost everything, don't get rooked by a scam, don't give to an inefficient bureaucracy like Red Cross.

Red Cross and Salvation Army were great after hurricane Michael. Wife just spoke to me about donating to them earmarked for Maui and we will.

Edited by SaltyTiger

34 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Red Cross and Salvation Army were great after hurricane Michael. Wife just spoke to me about donating to them earmarked for Maui and we will.

Church of the Highlands has sent resources.   One US based FI pledged $1MM today.   Bless the Hawaiian people.

• Like 2

On 8/15/2023 at 8:37 PM, SaltyTiger said:

Red Cross pays its CEO more than $600,000 per year. Less than 70% of money donated to Red Cross actually goes to services delivered to people in need because bureaucracy eats up the rest.

If you donate to organizations rooted in the Maui community, almost all of your dollar will go to local organizations providing services to local needs, and the employees are locals.

• Thanks 1