Princeston college review

brankster

Guest Tigrinum Major

Go in depth to the "Students Say..." sections. Very accurate comments. Then go see what the students say about the U of A (which is listed as University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa :poke: in their lists.) Very telling.

Anyone else love the fact that they went to (or are associated with) Auburn as much as I do?

Not the best things to be in the top ten....  Probably two of the worst...

175697[/snapback]

I don't see how the students getting along with the townspeople is bad. Actually, I think that's very important because AU gets so much support from the people in Auburn that live here and love it. I plan on moving here ASAP once I get out of law school (or at least as close to here as possible!)

175697[/snapback]

I don't see how the students getting along with the townspeople is bad. Actually, I think that's very important because AU gets so much support from the people in Auburn that live here and love it. I plan on moving here ASAP once I get out of law school (or at least as close to here as possible!)

175706[/snapback]

thats what i thought... but i dont see bama in academics, praying, packing the stadiums, politics, etc....

:ua:

Campus Life

Students report that "Alabama is a great place if you are looking for a good time, from going to the bars, to sitting on the porch with friends, to a huge victory party (after football games). We have anything you would want to do on any night of the week." More than a few students, it should be noted, mentioned with pride that 'Bama received a "#2 Party School" ranking in a previous edition of this book. Those not into partying often agree that "life at Alabama is fairly monotonous.

There's also a large, powerful, and, by many accounts, elitist Greek scene; writes one student, "The thing at Alabama is to be Greek. If you aren't, there are a lot of things unavailable to you."

Student Body

The "overwhelmingly conservative" students of 'Bama admit to a wide, well-defined divide running between the Greek and independent communities. Writes one GDI, "The Greeks can be nice individually, but as a group they can be somewhat snobbish." Independents especially resent the sense that "the Greek system here at the university, referred to by many simply as 'The Machine,' basically runs the school. They control the SGA and nearly every campus group. For non-Greek students, it's hard to escape from under their umbrella." Students report that "there's a lot of ethnic diversity here at UA; however, the groups almost never mix. I wouldn't say there's any animosity. The groups just don't have anything in common with each other." Some go further; groused one Jewish student, "Make no mistake about it, there is more racism here than I have ever experienced in my life. Even in the campus dining area, there is a clear line of the 'white side' and the 'black side.'"

vs

:au:

Campus Life

"Auburn is a big school in a small town," students say, adding that "there's always someone new to meet, but you always see someone you know too. It's a truly laid-back atmosphere, and we have a lot of love for the town and school." The size of the student body means "there are a great deal of things to get involved with," while the small-town atmosphere means that very often "fun is really just hanging out. Be it drinking, church-related, going on road trips, playing cards, hiking at Chewacla State Park, or a game of Frisbee in the Ag Field, this is a small town, and the only thing to do is really to hang out with other people and make some fun happen." Traditions run deep, and students proudly take part in them. They love Hey Day (everyone on campus wears nametags and makes an effort to be extra friendly), tailgating before football games, and T.P.-ing Toomer's Corner (Auburn's main traffic intersection) following Auburn victories, to name just a few. Auburn athletics is "the most popular topic around town. It is always on everyone's mind." Greek life is also huge. When students need some big-city entertainment, they head for Birmingham or Atlanta, "each less than two hours away and great for shopping, concerts, and other big-city life."

Student Body

"The typical student at Auburn is the white, Protestant (most often Baptist), Republican, Southern person," students tell us, noting also that "there is a good-sized African-American population, but that's about it for minorities." We found an Auburn student who "has grown up with the same group of friends since kindergarten. He doesn't meet any new people unless, of course, they are in their fraternity, which in turn makes them cool by association." This same student also "grew up hearing about Auburn and probably had family members that went here," which accounts in part for the "unique sense of pride and unity on campus that you feel the very first time you visit." Our style correspondents say, "You would have to look really hard to find an ugly girl here. All the guys look like they stepped out of a frat house."

I dont have clue as to how accurate the :ua: side is. The :au: side is right on the money tho.

Yeah, I don't see how the town-gown thing is bad at all. Maybe you just meant it's not important, but I'd say it's still a good thing to do. And as far as the studying, maybe that's just cause they are so smart they don't have to.....er, maybe not. ;)

The Princeton review lists our library as the 14th best in the country. The top library in the Southeast. Ahead of the libraries at Columbia, Dartmouth, Emory, and University of California at Berkley which is the number public college in the USA. This is something we should all be proud of ... for a public college library to be ranked this high speaks volumes [pun intended] for our school.

UGA's had the biggest bullcrap statement

One student writes, "If you're not a rich kid from metro Atlanta, you'll have a harder time fitting in here.

What utter crap. The kids who I knew that had lots of friends were the ones not even from Atlanta, if not Georgia.

Guest Tigrinum Major
The Princeton review lists our library as the 14th best in the country.  The top library in the Southeast.  Ahead of the libraries at Columbia, Dartmouth, Emory, and University of California at Berkley which is the number public college in the USA.  This is something we should all be proud of ... for a public college library to be ranked this high speaks volumes [pun intended] for our school.

175734[/snapback]

One reason for being ranked so high is the sheer size of our library.

:roflol: thats all i found on bama.... we beat them there too...

Welcome to The Princeton Review | Sign In | Register | Student Tools

The University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa

Box 870132 Phone: 205-348-5666

Tuscaloosa, AL, 35487-0132 Fax: 205-348-9046

The University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa's

Best 361 College Rankings

Click on the list name to see all the schools on that list or

click the category name to see all the lists in the category.

Rank List Category

#14 Students Pack The Stadiums Extracurriculars

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa Appears on These Lists

Best Southeastern Colleges

This school is one of the 140 colleges named a Best Southeastern College by The Princeton Review. Our goal is simple: to identify some of the colleges and universities that we feel stand out within each region.

175697[/snapback]

175706[/snapback]

Yeah, I misunderstood social... I thought that meant party, then I looked at some other schools (like OM) and saw that there was a party category. Then I got curious as to what ours was, and saw it. I agree, that's a wonderful thing, not a bad thing. The 'study the least' is not a good ranking though.

How do they rank schools anyways? It appears they give out surveys to random students, but I don't think that's very telling. When I moved here, our library was #2 behind Harvard (at least that's what they said in SOS)... so how does it drop 12 spots? We were ranked a lot higher for being a jock school last year, I thought. Stanford wasn't even in the top 20 and they win that cup thing every year. University rankings are getting to be as accurate and rediculous as the AP and BCS rankings.

UGA's had the biggest bullcrap statement
One student writes, "If you're not a rich kid from metro Atlanta, you'll have a harder time fitting in here.

What utter crap. The kids who I knew that had lots of friends were the ones not even from Atlanta, if not Georgia.

175735[/snapback]

I could see that. Most of UGA are rich kids from metro atlanta. I'm not saying that they are hard to get along with(I guess I'm one of them), but that description of the people is right.

Maybe saying most kids from metro Atlanta has SUV's....but as far as fitting in....the kids from metro atlanta dont make it tougher at all to fit in.

If anything, being out-of-state was much more helpful to me as I wasn't known to anyone.

BS

:ua:

Campus Life

Students report that "Alabama is a great place if you are looking for a good time, from going to the bars, to sitting on the porch with friends, to a huge victory party (after football games). We have anything you would want to do on any night of the week." More than a few students, it should be noted, mentioned with pride that 'Bama received a "#2 Party School" ranking in a previous edition of this book. Those not into partying often agree that "life at Alabama is fairly monotonous.

There's also a large, powerful, and, by many accounts, elitist Greek scene; writes one student, "The thing at Alabama is to be Greek. If you aren't, there are a lot of things unavailable to you."

Student Body

The "overwhelmingly conservative" students of 'Bama admit to a wide, well-defined divide running between the Greek and independent communities. Writes one GDI, "The Greeks can be nice individually, but as a group they can be somewhat snobbish." Independents especially resent the sense that "the Greek system here at the university, referred to by many simply as 'The Machine,' basically runs the school. They control the SGA and nearly every campus group. For non-Greek students, it's hard to escape from under their umbrella." Students report that "there's a lot of ethnic diversity here at UA; however, the groups almost never mix. I wouldn't say there's any animosity. The groups just don't have anything in common with each other." Some go further; groused one Jewish student, "Make no mistake about it, there is more racism here than I have ever experienced in my life. Even in the campus dining area, there is a clear line of the 'white side' and the 'black side.'"

vs

:au:

Campus Life

"Auburn is a big school in a small town," students say, adding that "there's always someone new to meet, but you always see someone you know too. It's a truly laid-back atmosphere, and we have a lot of love for the town and school." The size of the student body means "there are a great deal of things to get involved with," while the small-town atmosphere means that very often "fun is really just hanging out. Be it drinking, church-related, going on road trips, playing cards, hiking at Chewacla State Park, or a game of Frisbee in the Ag Field, this is a small town, and the only thing to do is really to hang out with other people and make some fun happen." Traditions run deep, and students proudly take part in them. They love Hey Day (everyone on campus wears nametags and makes an effort to be extra friendly), tailgating before football games, and T.P.-ing Toomer's Corner (Auburn's main traffic intersection) following Auburn victories, to name just a few. Auburn athletics is "the most popular topic around town. It is always on everyone's mind." Greek life is also huge. When students need some big-city entertainment, they head for Birmingham or Atlanta, "each less than two hours away and great for shopping, concerts, and other big-city life."

Student Body

"The typical student at Auburn is the white, Protestant (most often Baptist), Republican, Southern person," students tell us, noting also that "there is a good-sized African-American population, but that's about it for minorities." We found an Auburn student who "has grown up with the same group of friends since kindergarten. He doesn't meet any new people unless, of course, they are in their fraternity, which in turn makes them cool by association." This same student also "grew up hearing about Auburn and probably had family members that went here," which accounts in part for the "unique sense of pride and unity on campus that you feel the very first time you visit." Our style correspondents say, "You would have to look really hard to find an ugly girl here. All the guys look like they stepped out of a frat house."

I dont have clue as to how accurate the :ua: side is. The :au: side is right on the money tho.

175717[/snapback]

Talking about the greek thing at UA, its pretty much right. Everything is greek drivin here. Im not a greek, but im not really into that. I guess it is all in what you make it. There is plenty to do here even if your not greek though. I dont know, just depends on what your into. About the race thing, I can see where that comes from also. The student union is often times seperated.

As a Samford University grad, they hit our university exactly.

I agree with an earlier comment about the library at AU, it is much better than what Princeton ranked. I have not been to a better one--and i have been to many.

Our Library really turned the corner when we spent about $6M on it back in late 80s early 90s. Money came from.....Athletic Dept.

See, winning football games and going bowling does pay off...

Archived