Gusty

LPTiger

I apologize for starting a new post, but I saw a post that mentioned Gusty Yearout, clicked over to another post and now I can't find the original post.   Some of you will know that Gusty was the linebacker who was held, actually tackled, on Stabler's TD run in I think 1967.   It was a rain game and the video clearly shows Rusty being tackled.   Of course the ref's never threw a flag against Bama...  But the reason for my post is to talk about Gusty/s daughter Audrey.   Gusty became a hugely successful plaintiff's lawyer in Bham after the mugging in 67.   Audrey was one of his kids.   She too became a lawyer (and a fighter).   She was once challenged to a foot race by a young lawyer at our firm.   About 10 yards into the race the male challenger was already out front and began back pedaling and taunting Audrey.   He failed to see the forearm shiver that Audrey delivered to his jaw that promptly put him on his backside as Audrey coasted to victory.   The Yearout family loved Auburn and they also loved a good, fair fight.   I hate that Gusty couldn't overcome multiple officials who refused to flag the obvious penalty....

• Like 1

Sorry for adding another post here. I was in another app ordering food and I can’t find out how to get back to it now, but anyway, I saw a burger commercial that reminded me of an old friend’s dog who used to eat fries one at a time and it made me hungry. So I’ll take a double cheese burger and fries, thanks. 

• Haha 3

Some few years ago I had occasion to visit the farm of a former bammer player who was their center on that day. We talked about that game some. He told me that before the game Bryant told the team that that particular play wouldn't work unless they could get Yearout of of there. Thus the hold, and it was intentional. That guy Stephenson? got some form of retribution. He had four daughters and though they lived in West Alabama, all four chose to to to college at Auburn.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1