Punching it in on the goal line

shabby

Its been very frustrating watching Auburn within 5 yards of the goal line and umable to pound it in against teams like Samford. Im not a coach. I dont know the why. So i thought id ask all you amateur coaches. Why cant we ground and pound 3 lousy yards in these scenarios?

1 minute ago, shabby said:

Its been very frustrating watching Auburn within 5 yards of the goal line and umable to pound it in against teams like Samford. Im not a coach. I dont know the why. So i thought id ask all you amateur coaches. Why cant we ground and pound 3 lousy yards in these scenarios?

I think they just chose to work on RZ passing.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I think they just chose to work on RZ passing.

Yeah but this has been a peobablem in all 3 games. Even on 4th and 1 runs. It seems like short yardage up the middle is always hit in the backfield. Is it blocking? Is it scheme? Is Neptune in retrograde? 

15 hours ago, shabby said:

Our OL is still not good enough to pound it from 3 yds.  With 72 and 62 on the sideline it sure isn't.  6th year Stutts is the only lineman getting a push and making a hole.  Can he do it against tougher competition is the question?

Just now, KillenTime said:

Our OL is still not good enough to pound it from 3 yds.  With 72 and 62 on the sideline it sure isn't.  6th year Stutts is the only lineman getting a push and making a hole.  Can he do it against tougher competition is the question?

It's just weird that we are leading the SEC in Rushing but nothing when in short distance scenarios. 

9 minutes ago, shabby said:

It's just weird that we are leading the SEC in Rushing but nothing when in short distance scenarios. 

We also have to consider our competition…what’s even scarier is that we haven’t been able to get a few yards when it matters most against them. I think like one person above said was we are trying to do a little more in the air. I think our opponents are also selling out on defending the run right at the line of scrimmage at the goal line.

Edited by AUINSY

Hindsight is 20/20.  I was very frustrated last week being with in 5 yards of the goal line and not running.  Now after the 2nd half I realized we could have scored at will on samford and needed to work on the RZ RPOs in the first half.  CHF has a plan and I can only hope that this plan comes to fruition Saturday against tam = Tennessee Game 2004.  

• Like 1

I would put Fairweather in the backfield in a wildcat and let him pound it up the middle, but that's just me. I'm a out of the box thinking kind of guy. 

LSU used to be pretty effective a few years ago using Jacob Hester for just this kind of situation, and he was half of Fairweather's size.🤔