Are we about to lose our annual rivalry game with Georgia?

KnightTiger

There is a video floating on twitter where Coach Freeze says “He’s going to miss playing Georgia every year”

are we going to lose our annual rivalry game with Georgia after next season due to conference expansion?

This whole conference realignment should’ve died in 2010 you throw in rumors  of Clemson FSU and UNC wanting out of the acc we are gonna be lucky to see normal rivals once in a blue moon

Edited by KnightTiger

I think in 5 years or so, you're REALLY going to have to be a college football fan to remain a college football fan. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure some rivalries will remain, but I see it becoming something of the AFC vs NFC (SEC v B10). There will be a core group you play against and then some rotating teams. The conference will not really matter anymore. Literally, it will look like the NFL - playoffs and all. Not necessarily a bad thing but those of us who enjoy chanting S-E-C will just have to tell stories to our grandkids about "back in our day". 

I highly doubt Bama or UGA are not on our schedule.

• Like 1

There hasn't actually been any talk about this.

Here's my (newest) proposal--yes, SEC has much fewer teams so I'm probably biased but I just couldn't think of anyone to fit well besides GT and FSU, and TBH, the Big Six have been dominant enough in terms of NCs won the last 25 years so I'm trying to disperse teams out a little more evenly.

Two teams with the best conference record (tiebreaker being head to head and then CFP ranking) meet in the conference championship game for ALL conferences.

ACC (sixteen teams--six permanents, three pairs of three [six year cycle])
UCF
Cincinnati
Clemson
Duke
FSU
GT
Louisville
Maryland
Miami FL
UNC
NCSU
Rutgers
USC-east
Virginia
VT
WF

Big Ten (sixteen teams--six permanents, three pairs of three [six year cycle])
BC
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Michigan
MSU-north
Minnesota
Northwestern
ND
OSU-east
PSU
Pittsburgh
Purdue
Syracuse
WVU
Wisconsin

Big 16 (sixteen teams--seven permanents, four pairs of two [eight year cycle] [on the six of eight years in which Oklahoma and Texas are NOT on the rotation, it will be counted as a non-conference game])
Arkansas
Baylor
Colorado
Houston
ISU
Kansas
KSU
Missouri
Nebraska
Oklahoma
OSU-middle
SMU
Texas
TAMU
TCU
TTU

Pac-12 (twelve teams--three permanents, four pairs of opponents that rotate off the schedule [eight year cycle])
Arizona
ASU
UCB
UCLA
Oregon
OSU-west
USC-west
Stanford
Utah
Washington
WSU

SEC (ten teams, round robin [one year cycle])
Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
LSU
Mississippi
MSU-south
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Hope you all like this, even if it will never happen. :(

Edited by AUwent

The Great God of TV dollars will swallow and digest anything that will feed it. Rivalries, tradition, desires of the fans can just jump in the lake. From an Auburn perspective this already isn't what it once was with annual games vs. Florida and Tennessee junked in the name of, what?

• Like 3

It’ll be interesting to see what happens when NIL rules change and costs start to mount for the sports other than football.  There will be some athletic departments who cannot afford to continually fly the volleyball team cross country.  What happens then?  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

There will be some athletic departments who cannot afford to continually fly the volleyball team cross country.  What happens then?  

I've heard sports like volleyball could become regional sports while the major sport stay within conference. 

The CFB fan in me will hate to see rivalries lost. BUT as someone stated further up, it is where things are going. For Auburn as a brand to succeed, we have to look ahead. The landscape is more national now and with the CFP expanding next year, we have more opportunities to be in the mix, but not if we are the only team in America continuing to play the #1, #2 and #3 teams every year. I understand CFB is cyclical, but man have we gotten the worst of it.

Get out the cheese to go with this whine...Going back to 2006, Auburn has played the eventual national champion during the regular season all but three times...along with the rest of the West schedule. In the CFP era, we have played the champion every year. Our Russian roulette scheduling has been brutal and we don't get a free pass for an extra loss. Tradition is important, but not at the expense of success. Imagine the success of 2017 and then only playing UGA once - in the SEC championship (or the first round of the CFP).

I agree @Mikey, TV giveth and TV taketh away.

We could potentially play UGA 3x in a year right? 

Regular season

SEC Championship

Playoffs

On 10/3/2023 at 11:21 AM, KnightTiger said:

There is a video floating on twitter where Coach Freeze says “He’s going to miss playing Georgia every year”

are we going to lose our annual rivalry game with Georgia after next season due to conference expansion?

This whole conference realignment should’ve died in 2010 you throw in rumors  of Clemson FSU and UNC wanting out of the acc we are gonna be lucky to see normal rivals once in a blue moon

Read thread title and was like... where you been dude, we JUST lost.