10.25.23 Football Articles

aubiefifty

247sports.com

Could Burton give Auburn passing game a boost

Jason Caldwell

3–4 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama—The highest-ranked recruit in Auburn’s wide receiver room (No. 71 player nationally), redshirt freshman Caleb Burton was a late arrival to the Plains over the summer and since that time it has been a race to get up to speed in the offense and find his way on the field. Only seeing action in one of Auburn’s first five games and without a reception, the Ohio State transfer has caught three passes for 24 yards in the last two games and says he’s getting more comfortable with every day on the field.

“Just getting stronger in the playbook,” Burton said of where’s improved. “Definitely my play speed, picking up my play speed. I would say those are the two things that I’ve been stressing on in the past couple of weeks.”

What has helped Burton settle in has been having guys like Jay Fair and Ja’Varrius Johnson around to give him pointers on the offense. Even though both are in their first seasons in the new system, they were around in the spring and have experience on the field. That has been a big deal for Burton.

“I’ve definitely learned a lot from them,” Burton said. “Especially since they know the playbook, so if there’s certain plays that need to be run a certain way and watching them do it before me, it helps me get a grasp of how I need to do it. Definitely learned a lot from them.”

One player that has seen plenty from Burton already is quarterback Payton Thorne. Like Burton, Thorne arrived in the summer and the two worked overtime to get prepared for the season. During those afternoons, Thorne said he saw a guy that was on track to being ready to help this team.

“From the moment I got here, you could tell he’s a route-runner,” Thorne said. “He’s not just a guy who can run fast or who shows flashy catches, he’s a route-runner and he’s a technician and he works hard at it. I feel like me and him have a connection we built over the summer. I think he’s a really good player. He’s a good receiver and I think he has a skill set that can succeed.”

That’s the goal for Auburn’s offense as they look to get back on the winning track this weekend against Mississippi State. One of the nation’s worst teams throwing the football through seven games, the Tigers have plenty of room for improvement. Burton said it’s all about making it happen when the lights come on.

“We all know what we can do,” Burton said. “We have talented quarterbacks, we have talented receivers. I think it’s just a matter of putting our mind to it and going out there and doing it, because we do it everyday in practice.”

Kickoff for Saturday’s game against Mississippi State is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. on SEC Network.

si.com

Hugh Freeze says he's never had an offensive stretch quite like what he's experiencing at Auburn

Lance Dawe

3–4 minutes

Freeze points out that while the Tigers have played a stretch of tough opponents, his offense is in a lull he's never seen.

Auburn's offense is on pace to be one of the worst the Tigers have seen this century.

As of right now Philip Montgomery's offense is averaging 4.88 yards per play against Division I opponents. That's the worst mark found in Auburn's history on cfbstats.com, a database that stretches all the way back to 2009.

This is the worst offense Tiger fans have seen in a long time. Shocking, considering most thought the offenses Auburn had underneath Bryan Harsin were the low points.

Hugh Freeze doesn't seem to have a lot of answers for what he's seeing play out on the field. The Tigers are still "searching" for an answer according to him.

During Monday's press conference, Freeze was asked if he's ever seen a stretch like this for one of his offenses... ever.

"I think you can go look at my offensive stats everywhere I've been, and the answer is no," Freeze said. "Never [...] you ask a lot of questions, and it certainly challenges you [...] we've played some good football teams. Some of it's us, some of it's them. But no, I haven't experienced a stretch quite like that."

Freeze pointed to bad play calling and lack of execution against Ole Miss. There were moments where the staff set up the plays well, the team just didn't execute (a prime example being the first play of the game where Ashford kept the ball for a loss). But there were also times where the Tigers just didn't get the right call in.

When Auburn had opportunities, they wasted them away in one fashion or another.

"It just seems like every time we would have something positive going like that - not every time - but sometimes, it was we'd get a bad break or obviously we'd make a bad call, or we don't execute a call correctly," Freeze said.

This isn't what Freeze wants, and in the end it's both encouraging and discouraging for Freeze that Auburn has still been able to be competitive at home against Georgia and Ole Miss.

It still isn't what he wants to see.

"Have I seen the results that you want on the field? Again, we've played a very difficult stretch of games and had a chance to win a couple of those against top teams in the nation," Freeze said. "In it's own way it's encouraging, it's also discouraging that you had some things happen in those games that you know you can do better or coach better."

saturdaydownsouth.com

Auburn lands commitment from in-state safety prospect in class of 2024

Spenser Davis | 1 day ago
1–2 minutes

Auburn added to its 2024 recruiting class on Monday evening.

The Tigers picked up a commitment from 3-star safety prospect Kaleb Harris. He chose the Tigers over programs such as Florida, South Carolina and Florida State.

freestar

Here’s his announcement:

Harris is a 3-star safety prospect in the class of 2024. He’s the No. 680 overall player and the No. 74 safety in the country for this cycle, per 247Sports Composite rankings. He’s also the No. 31 player from the state of Alabama.

Harris attends Thompson High School and is from Alabaster, Alabama. He’s listed at 6-foot-2, 195 pounds.

Auburn now has 17 commitments in the class of 2024. Harris is one of four defensive back prospects currently committed to the Tigers. Overall, Auburn’s class sits at No. 17 nationally, per 247Sports Composite rankings.

247sports.com

PMARSHONAU QBs provide a window into Auburns offensive frustration

Phillip Marshall

3–4 minutes

Auburn will pay its assistant coaching staff $6.91 million in Hugh Freeze’s first season leading the program, according to signed copies of the coaches’ contracts provided to Auburn Undercover this week via an open records request from the university.

That figure is an increase from last year’s assistant salary pool, which saw Bryan Harsin’s 10 assistants owed $6.55 million.

Three of Freeze’s 10 assistants signed three-year deals — both coordinators and associate head coach Cadillac Williams — with the rest on two-year contracts.

Every assistant coach’s contract features a 100 percent buyout owed by Auburn if they are fired before the conclusion of their deal. Every contract features a mitigation clause — meaning Auburn’s buyout figure will be decreased by the compensation of the coach’s next job — with the exception of offensive coordinator Philip Montgomery, who would be owed the full amount of his remaining contract by Auburn if terminated.

Defensive coordinator Ron Roberts has the most lucrative deal of the assistant staff. His base salary is $1.4 million annually for three years, but that number will increase by $100,000 on Feb. 1 of 2024 and 2025 if he is still employed at Auburn.

Montgomery’s base salary is $1 million annually, with a yearly raise of $150,000 in 2024 and 2025.

Williams is receiving a huge pay bump after his stint as interim head coach for four games last season, and his promotion to associate head coach under Freeze this year. He’s set to take home $900,000 this season, which is more than double his 2022 salary of $400,000.

Offensive line coach Jake Thornton is the only other assistant with a raise structure in his contract. Coming over from Ole Miss, Thornton will make $600,000 if he’s still on staff next year after $500,000 this season.

Freeze is set to make $6.5 million in the first season of his six-year contract at Auburn.

Here’s a rundown of the total contract figures for Auburn’s assistant coaches — raises included — and how their annual compensation compares to what the Tigers had on staff last year under Harsin.

• DC Ron Roberts: 3 years, $4.5 million

Roberts will make $1.4 million in 2023; DC Jeff Schmedding made $1 million in 2022

• OC Philip Montgomery: 3 years, $3.45 million

Montgomery will make $1 million in 2023; OC Eric Kiesau made $800,000 in 2022

• RB coach Cadillac Williams: 3 years, $2.7 million

Williams will make $900,000 in 2023; he made $400,000 in 2022

• S coach Zac Etheridge: 2 years, $1.3 million

Etheridge will make $650,000 in 2023; he made $600,000 in 2022

• CB coach Wesley McGriff: 2 years, $1.2 million

McGriff will make $600,000 in 2023; Auburn did not have a cornerbacks coach last season

• OL coach Jake Thornton: 2 years, $1.1 million

Thornton will make $500,000 in 2023; OL coach Will Friend made $700,000 in 2022

• DL coach Jeremy Garrett: 2 years, $1.02 million

Garrett will make $510,000 in 2023; DL coach Jimmy Brumbaugh made $625,000 in 2023

• LB coach Josh Aldridge: 2 years, $1 million

Aldridge will make $500,000 in 2023; LB coach Christian Robinson made $525,000 in 2022

• TE coach Ben Aigamaua: 2 years, $850,000

Aigamaua will make $425,000 in 2023; TE coach Brad Bedell made $400,000 in 2022

• WR coach Marcus Davis, 2 years, $850,000

Davis will make $425,000 in 2023; WR coach Ike Hilliard made $600,000 in 2022

Auburn QB Robby Ashford is ready to hush his doubters

Updated: Oct. 24, 2023, 4:40 p.m.|Published: Oct. 24, 2023, 4:38 p.m.

5–6 minutes

You name it and Auburn sophomore quarterback Robby Ashford has heard it.

He’s only a running quarterback.

He should’ve stuck with baseball.

Maybe they should move him to wide receiver or running back.

And perhaps his personal favorite: He can’t throw.

“I feel like it’s a stereotype that I can’t throw the football,” Ashford said Tuesday afternoon.

All the noise started during Ashford’s whirlwind-of-a-first-season on The Plains, where he took over the starting quarterback job midway through the season — beating out TJ Finley, who has since gone on to transfer to Texas State.

Ashford finished last fall 123-for-250 through the air — good for a completion percentage of 49% while tallying 1,613 passing yards, seven touchdowns and seven interceptions. Meanwhile, Ashford added 710 yards and seven touchdowns with his legs in 2022.

Nonetheless, it was a lot for the then-freshman transfer to wrap his head around.

“Last year was just all types of crazy,” Ashford said. “I mean, transferred in, the coach I committed to is gone, I didn’t even get a full year. So, it was all crazy, just a lot of ups and downs.”

To top it all off, Ashford says he spent the last nine games of the 2022 season with the same injury Texas quarterback Quinn Ewers recently suffered.

ESPN’s Pete Thamel reported Sunday that Ewers suffered a Grade 2 AC joint sprain in his throwing shoulder and is expected to miss “some time.”

“You see Texas’ quarterback? He’s sitting out with the injury that I played nine games through,” Ashford said Tuesday. “That should tell you, in itself, what I was going through. But people don’t really want to look at that.”

As a result of his injury, Ashford said he wasn’t able to throw during the final five weeks of practice last season and was instead having to rely solely on “mental reps” to get him through the week and only throwing on Saturdays.

But that isn’t an issue this season as Ashford has been full-go through fall camp and the first seven weeks of the regular season. And that alone has got him feeling more confident.

“I feel a whole lot better. I feel way more confident. I mean, just with the guys we have, I have the utmost confidence in them,” Ashford said. “So just being able to get those physical reps instead of mental ones when I was hurt, it’s definitely paid off really big for me.”

Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze has said all along that Ashford is too athletic not to see the field and that he’ll always have packages.

And Freeze has been a man of his word as Ashford has played in each of Auburn’s seven games to this point and recorded his first start of the year last week against Ole Miss.

However, Ashford still hasn’t been asked to throw the football much this season as he’s thrown just 26 passes, completed 14 of them and has recorded 145 passing yards, two touchdowns and an interception.

“I look at it as, right now, it’s me more of a running guy,” said Ashford, who has tallied 180 rushing yards on 40 carries and five touchdowns — tying with running back Jarquez Hunter as the Tigers’ leading scorer.

“But I know I can sit back there and throw the ball around the yard. I did it last year, before I got hurt.”

While it’s hard to say exactly when Ashford got hurt last fall, if you take away his final four performances in 2022 — playing off his comment of not being able to throw in the final five weeks of practice — Ashford averaged just more than 162 passing yards per game and a 52.6% completion percentage.

In those final four games, Ashford averaged 78.5 passing yards per game and was completing passes at a 41.5% clip.

And while it is worth noting there was a lot going on at Auburn in those final four games after the firing of former head coach Bryan Harsin and running backs coach Cadillac Williams taking over as interim head coach, it might be worth hearing Ashford out.

As Auburn’s offense continues to sputter using this funky quarterback rotation between Ashford and junior Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne, Ashford sounds ready to try and silence the naysayers and prove he can throw the football.

“I feel more comfortable as a whole,” Ashford said. “Whoever says I can’t play quarterback, I really don’t care. They couldn’t do half of what I do. They can sit behind a phone screen and type all they want. It’s never going to faze me.”

And while Freeze hasn’t made mention of any significant changes to his approach at the quarterback spot, between his discontent with how the offense is currently operating and the fact that Ashford started last week’s game, it’s hard not to feel like there might be a shift happening.

“I’ve said from Day 1 that I think Robby has a place,” Freeze said Monday. “Is his place every down? We’ll see this week.”

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

l.com

Auburn’s QB rotation isn’t going away. Here’s how Thorne, Ashford are handling it.

Published: Oct. 24, 2023, 4:15 p.m.

6–8 minutes

As Auburn plunges into the back half of its SEC schedule it has found that, at this point, it may be stuck in the quarterback rotation between Payton Thorne and Robby Ashford.

With Thorne still Auburn’s starter, at least for technical purposes, it was Ashford on the field first against Ole Miss in Saturday’s 28-21 loss. That’s just part of Ashford’s package, head coach Hugh Freeze said — something he maintains Ashford will have each week. But while Freeze assures Ashford does have a role in this offense, the package has and will continue to change each week.

“They are doing two different things, truthfully, in the packages,” Freeze said Monday. “Whether that’s smart or not, I don’t know. We’ve got to figure that out. We obviously think it is, or have thought it is. When they’re doing two different things, I don’t think that’s an issue. They’re really confident in what you do: ‘Here’s your package, get really confident with that.’ It’s not like we’re asking one to go do the whole game plan right now, because there are two distinctively different packages.”

Both quarterbacks spoke to local reporters Tuesday, and they’re both approaching this rotation differently.

Thorne said he’s never experienced something like this before. He was an entrenched starter at Michigan State before transferring to Auburn this past spring.

It was clear from Thorne’s press conference this back-and-forth isn’t something he’s enjoying, but instead had to accept and adjust to.

He described his own package as more balanced between running and passing. And while Thorne has been productive running the ball — he is second on Auburn’s team in rushing yards this season behind running back Jarquez Hunter — but it’s clear Auburn coaches see him as the more reliable passer. He has 130 passing attempts to Ashford’s 26.

He said the offense has not been on the same page throughout this season, and that’s the biggest thing holding the group back.

Thorne kept his overall thoughts on the rotations largely reserved, saying instead that his job is just to execute whatever is called. But being in a position he has never known before, the learning curve can be, and has been, a challenge.

“It’s a new challenge for me,” Thorne said. “I’ve never really seen anybody else do that either. So I don’t know if there’s anybody I can ask to learn from. Every time I’m in there, I’m trying to do what I’m supposed to do and do what I’m being coached to do and execute and make a play when we need it. You can’t get in there in a situation like that and try to do too much. I don’t feel like I’ve done that. So just keep going in there and executing the play that’s called. If it’s called to hand it off, hand it off. You can’t try to pull it and make something crazy happen.”

Exactly what Thorne suggested — executing the correct play, handing the ball off when it is supposed to be — is an area where Freeze has critiqued Ashford. It happened on the very first series against Ole Miss with Ashford in the game.

Ashford’s role has been more complicated. Often, he has brought more of a spark to the offense than Thorne, but also more inconsistency. He has seen the changing look at quarterback more than Thorne looking back to last year at Auburn playing alongside quarterback T.J. Finley.

Ashford said that he knows his package is going to focus on running plays. Freeze has frequently said Ashford is one of the best athletes at quarterback he has ever coached and that often means keeping the ball in his hands.

“I look at it as, right now, it’s me more of a running guy,” Ashford said. “But I know I can sit back there and throw the ball around the yard. I did it last year, before I got hurt. WIth me, it’s more downhill, trying to be more physical. With Payton, it’s kinda more of an air attack. I feel like we can both can run, both can air it around the yard.”

Though, Ashford’s view on the rotation rests more on what he still wants to prove he can do: throw the ball.

“I feel like it’s a stereotype that I can’t throw the football,” Ashford said. “But, I mean, that’s kind of whatever, because I was playing... you see Texas’ quarterback, he’s sitting out with the injury that I played nine games through. That should tell you, in itself, what I was going through. But people don’t really want to look at that. I don’t really care, because they’re not doing what I’m doing. They’re sitting on the TV, sitting behind a phone screen with all that.”

Ashford’s criticism focused more on what is said about him on social media, but he took blame on himself for failing to execute what he described as good play calls and schemes from the coaches. He feels he has improved as a better thrower, something he has said at various media availabilities this season, while he plays behind Thorne.

He also believes the offense has been pressing in games, and that’s why Auburn talks about practice successes not translating over into games. He has seen that in himself, almost willing himself to make a play for the team and that leads to a bad outcome.

“We started playing when we were young, so why not take it back to those childhood memories when it was fun,” Ashford said. “It’s fun now, but the funnest times of your life when you were playing football when you were younger and not having a care in the world. You’ve got to have a care, but you’ve got to go out there with a carefree mentality. If you make a mistake, you’ve got to look at it as, ‘so what?’ Next play. That’s part of the game; we’re human. We’ve got to go out there, just relax and have fun and be the offense we know we can be because we’ve seen it happen so many times in camp and through now. Now we just go out there and put it on the field on Saturdays.”

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on Twitter at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

247sports.com

Tigers hope focus on little things will pay off

Jason Caldwell

6–8 minutes

Auburn takes on Mississippi State this Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

AUBURN, Alabama—It’s not what Auburn Hugh Freeze and the current 2023 Auburn Tigers were hoping for when the season started, but through seven games there have been some ups and plenty of downs as they get ready to face the Mississippi State Bulldogs at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

"Yeah, the things I've seen behind the scenes that you don't have the privilege of seeing, I think is establishing the culture," coach Hugh Freeze said. " One of those is playing hard. I think we've done that, except for maybe one game, up to the standard that we expect. Creating a standard of accountability and little things, because I really believe that long term for Auburn, to be where we want it to be, that the accountability of those little things have to — you can't slide on those. I think that's kind of, maybe when I got here, is something that they felt like they could. I see that getting better each week.”

Now it’s time for that to show up on the field and get back in the win column. That won’t be easy for an Auburn team that is still searching for a way to make plays on offense. While it’s not ideal to be on a four-game losing streak, Western Kentucky transfer Gunner Britton said as a player all you can do is control the next game and how you prepare.

“I mean, obviously it's really tough,” he said. “We've played, I want to say four ranked teams back-to-back-to-back. Tough stretch for any team, but Freeze said it in the pregame speech: 'this is what you do when you sign up to play in the SEC.' Even for me, when I came here, I knew the teams that I was going to be playing, so just got to look towards next week. There's nothing you can really do to change the game. You just got to go and watch the film, learn the film and move on from there.”

There is a sense of urgency for a team that has a bunch of older players playing key roles, many of whom are transfers in their first season at Auburn. While the goal is to put the program in a better position and build a foundation for the future, it’s also to win now. Tight end Rivaldo Fairweather said that puts extra importance on Saturday’s home game against the Bulldogs.

“It's very, very important,” he said. “We've got to win out the rest of these games. We're going to go back to practice and come up with a great plan to beat the next team we have up next. We've just got to have the next man mentality. This game, the offense struggled but our defense played amazing. I promised our defense we're going to find a way to execute out there as an offense.”

• Thanks 1

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Auburn QB Robby Ashford is ready to hush his doubters

Updated: Oct. 24, 2023, 4:40 p.m.|Published: Oct. 24, 2023, 4:38 p.m.

5–6 minutes

You name it and Auburn sophomore quarterback Robby Ashford has heard it.

He’s only a running quarterback.

He should’ve stuck with baseball.

Maybe they should move him to wide receiver or running back.

And perhaps his personal favorite: He can’t throw.

“I feel like it’s a stereotype that I can’t throw the football,” Ashford said Tuesday afternoon.

All the noise started during Ashford’s whirlwind-of-a-first-season on The Plains, where he took over the starting quarterback job midway through the season — beating out TJ Finley, who has since gone on to transfer to Texas State.

Ashford finished last fall 123-for-250 through the air — good for a completion percentage of 49% while tallying 1,613 passing yards, seven touchdowns and seven interceptions. Meanwhile, Ashford added 710 yards and seven touchdowns with his legs in 2022.

Nonetheless, it was a lot for the then-freshman transfer to wrap his head around.

“Last year was just all types of crazy,” Ashford said. “I mean, transferred in, the coach I committed to is gone, I didn’t even get a full year. So, it was all crazy, just a lot of ups and downs.”

To top it all off, Ashford says he spent the last nine games of the 2022 season with the same injury Texas quarterback Quinn Ewers recently suffered.

ESPN’s Pete Thamel reported Sunday that Ewers suffered a Grade 2 AC joint sprain in his throwing shoulder and is expected to miss “some time.”

“You see Texas’ quarterback? He’s sitting out with the injury that I played nine games through,” Ashford said Tuesday. “That should tell you, in itself, what I was going through. But people don’t really want to look at that.”

As a result of his injury, Ashford said he wasn’t able to throw during the final five weeks of practice last season and was instead having to rely solely on “mental reps” to get him through the week and only throwing on Saturdays.

But that isn’t an issue this season as Ashford has been full-go through fall camp and the first seven weeks of the regular season. And that alone has got him feeling more confident.

“I feel a whole lot better. I feel way more confident. I mean, just with the guys we have, I have the utmost confidence in them,” Ashford said. “So just being able to get those physical reps instead of mental ones when I was hurt, it’s definitely paid off really big for me.”

Auburn head coach Hugh Freeze has said all along that Ashford is too athletic not to see the field and that he’ll always have packages.

And Freeze has been a man of his word as Ashford has played in each of Auburn’s seven games to this point and recorded his first start of the year last week against Ole Miss.

However, Ashford still hasn’t been asked to throw the football much this season as he’s thrown just 26 passes, completed 14 of them and has recorded 145 passing yards, two touchdowns and an interception.

“I look at it as, right now, it’s me more of a running guy,” said Ashford, who has tallied 180 rushing yards on 40 carries and five touchdowns — tying with running back Jarquez Hunter as the Tigers’ leading scorer.

“But I know I can sit back there and throw the ball around the yard. I did it last year, before I got hurt.”

While it’s hard to say exactly when Ashford got hurt last fall, if you take away his final four performances in 2022 — playing off his comment of not being able to throw in the final five weeks of practice — Ashford averaged just more than 162 passing yards per game and a 52.6% completion percentage.

In those final four games, Ashford averaged 78.5 passing yards per game and was completing passes at a 41.5% clip.

And while it is worth noting there was a lot going on at Auburn in those final four games after the firing of former head coach Bryan Harsin and running backs coach Cadillac Williams taking over as interim head coach, it might be worth hearing Ashford out.

As Auburn’s offense continues to sputter using this funky quarterback rotation between Ashford and junior Michigan State transfer Payton Thorne, Ashford sounds ready to try and silence the naysayers and prove he can throw the football.

“I feel more comfortable as a whole,” Ashford said. “Whoever says I can’t play quarterback, I really don’t care. They couldn’t do half of what I do. They can sit behind a phone screen and type all they want. It’s never going to faze me.”

And while Freeze hasn’t made mention of any significant changes to his approach at the quarterback spot, between his discontent with how the offense is currently operating and the fact that Ashford started last week’s game, it’s hard not to feel like there might be a shift happening.

“I’ve said from Day 1 that I think Robby has a place,” Freeze said Monday. “Is his place every down? We’ll see this week.”

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

🤣

Not a stereotype, buddy! This guy cracks me up. Comparing himself to Quinn Ewers and getting totally triggered by what fans say online. This is exactly what you want in a QB lol what a clown.

Robby Ashford owes it to the potato regime that he gets to put on the Auburn jersey. If he had any self-awareness, then he'd know that's not saying much.

• Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, woodford said:

🤣

Not a stereotype, buddy! This guy cracks me up. Comparing himself to Quinn Ewers and getting totally triggered by what fans say online. This is exactly what you want in a QB lol what a clown.

Robby Ashford owes it to the potato regime that he gets to put on the Auburn jersey. If he had any self-awareness, then he'd know that's not saying much.

i appreciate your feedback but i am not gonna diss robby. hell he is young. i was an idiot often at that age. shrugs.............

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

i appreciate your feedback but i am not gonna diss robby. hell he is young. i was an idiot often at that age. shrugs.............

I don't think he's a bad person or anything he just lacks self-awareness, can't take criticism, etc. Besides his inability to throw the ball there's probably more reasons why he's not QB1. 

Which makes me ask, did RA do anything in the offseason to improve as a passer? Did he go to a QB coach or anything? 

2 minutes ago, woodford said:

I don't think he's a bad person or anything he just lacks self-awareness, can't take criticism, etc. Besides his inability to throw the ball there's probably more reasons why he's not QB1. 

Which makes me ask, did RA do anything in the offseason to improve as a passer? Did he go to a QB coach or anything? 

i doubt it.i do not remember anything but my memory sux. who are you again? grins...............

Auburn Wire

Auburn shakes up depth chart for Week 9 matchup with Mississippi State

JD McCarthy
Tue, October 24, 2023 at 9:00 AM CDT·3 min read

Auburn returned two starters on defense last week and they are now back in the starting lineup ahead of Auburn’s Week 9 game against Mississippi State.

Keionte Scott missed three games after undergoing ankle surgery but couldn’t be kept off the field against Ole Miss. He played 71 snaps and made five tackles and defended two passes and is back as the starting star cornerback.

Middle linebacker Austin Keys also made his return after missing five games, playing 26 snaps and making four tackles. He and Larry Nixon III are both listed as the starting middle linebacker for Mississippi State, separated by an OR

There was another change along the defense with Justin Rogers now listed as the starting nose tackle after backing up Jayson Jones all season, Jones is now the backup.

Rogers actually started against Ole Miss and played a season-high 42 snaps. He made the most of his opportunity, making four tackles, including one for a loss.

Hugh Freeze and Co. also tweaked the offensive depth chart, Jeremiah Wright is now listed as a backup right guard with Jalil Irvin. Wright was previously listed as the backup right tackle but has been replaced by Jaden Muskrat.

Here is a look at the complete depth chart.

Quarterback

Photo by Jamie Holt/Auburn Tigers

Photo by Jamie Holt/Auburn Tigers

Starter: Payton Thorne

Backups: Robby Ashford, Holden Geriner

Running Back

Photo by Zach Bland/Auburn Tigers

Photo by Zach Bland/Auburn Tigers

Starter: Jarquez Hunter

Backups: Damari Alston, Brian Battie, Jeremiah Cobb

Tight End

(Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)