5x National Champs!

AuCivilEng1

9 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

I can see it from our side and from Oklahoma's side too. From our standpoint, we wound up 2nd in the BCS rankings behind USC. They had to vacate the title so it should go to us.

But let's reverse the roles and say that we are in Oklahoma's position. We would definitely say that "We deserve the Natty because we actually played USC in the Nat'l Title game and Auburn didn't. Auburn barely beat Virginia Tech 16-13. Auburn also played USC in 2002 and 2003 and lost both games. In 2003, Auburn was ranked #6 and was shutout 23-0 in Jordan Hare by USC and they had Matt Leinart at QB making his first start ever. USC also started 2004 ranked #1, Oklahoma started 2004 ranked #2 and Auburn started 2004 ranked #17. Going into the National Championship game, USC and Oklahoma are both 12-0 for the year. Auburn was also 12-0 going into the Sugar Bowl and Utah was also 12-0. Also, the BCS is all computer generated and not any element of human element so there is no "homerism" by humans in this. That computer doesn't play favorites. Oklahoma actually played USC in the Nat'l Championship game. Auburn didn't. It should go to the team that actually faced USC for the Natty."

I see it both ways but you know good and well if we were in Oklahoma's position we would all be singing a different tune. I've seen Auburn fans say we should've played USC in the Natty instead of Oklahoma. But as Auburn fans, if we are in Okie's position we would be screaming "USC has beat Auburn the last 2 years. Why in the hell should Auburn jump us to play USC when they've already shown they couldn't beat them the last 2 years.

It's not the popular opinion but when you take out the fandom for any team, Oklahoma should be awarded the 2004 title if it's ever given to another team. It's Auburn's fault for starting the year ranked #17 because everytime we have preseason hype, we crap the bed. 2003 we were preseason #1 by Sporting News and AP #6. We started 0-2 and wound up 8-5. 

USC destroyed OU. Oklahoma State, which wasn't great, damned near beat Okie. I was at the SEC championship game in ATL in 2004. It was obvious to me, my family, and everyone in Orange and Blue that the air went out of our team when OU beat State and Herbstreit had his two national championship game teams. We were crushing ut when that happened. We'll never know , but I'd have taken AU and a helluva lot less than 30 against that USC team. We were the only team in the nation that could have played with them. Okie PROVED they couldn't. 

Edited by JuscAUse!
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

USC destroyed OU. Oklahoma State, which wasn't great, damned near beat Okie. I was at the SEC championship game in ATL in 2004. It was obvious to me, my family, and everyone in Orange and Blue that the air went out of our team when OU beat State and Herbstreit had his two national championship game teams. We were crushing ut when that happened. We'll never know , but I'd have taken AU and a helluva lot less than 30 against that USC team. We were the only team in the nation that could have played with them. Okie PROVED they couldn't. 

We definitely agree on this.  Well stated.  I only wanted a chance to know what would happen.  We were handicapped because the top two were the top two all year. 

• Like 3

On 10/30/2023 at 7:17 PM, Dwayne Pride said:

We definitely agree on this.  Well stated.  I only wanted a chance to know what would happen.  We were handicapped because the top two were the top two all year. 

Until it was uncovered they were funneling all the $$$ to Reggie, but yeah during the season they stayed at the top. That would never happen to an SEC team today. That natl title game was the 2nd-most boring game ever, just behind the UGA-TCU beat down we just witnessed 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

Until it was uncovered they were funneling all the $$$ to Reggie, but yeah during the season they stayed at the top. That would never happen to an SEC team today. That natl title game was the 2nd-most boring game ever, just behind the UGA-TCU beat down we just witnessed 

You say that it would not happen today and we can debate that all day but I think a more accurate statement would be that it would not happen to Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, and maybe A&M.  Everyone else fights an uphill battle. 

Just now, Dwayne Pride said:

You say that it would not happen today and we can debate that all day but I think a more accurate statement would be that it would not happen to Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, and maybe A&M.  Everyone else fights an uphill battle. 

Left out LSU.  

Hard disagree. Any undefeated SEC championship team today is an automatic top-2 team. Not only that, the playoff exists today and they’d for sure be one of four playoff teams. 

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

Hard disagree. Any undefeated SEC championship team today is an automatic top-2 team. Not only that, the playoff exists today and they’d for sure be one of four playoff teams. 

I will agree with the current format.  Ten years ago, it was all about who started the season ranked high and stayed there.  Thank goodness we don’t have the systems of 1983 anymore.  2004 even. 

• Like 2

On 10/30/2023 at 7:03 PM, JuscAUse! said:

USC and Oklahoma started the 2004 season ranked #1 and #2 and never lost. We started that season #17 and never lost. The computers chose USC and Oklahoma over us and the computers don't play favorites. If we had started out ranked in the top 5, we would've passed Oklahoma probably. We just started too far behind and I get the reasoning for ranking us #17 because in 2003 we were picked by some people to win that Natty but we finished 8-5. We started that year ranked #6. USC won the AP National Title in 2003 and Oklahoma played LSU in the 2003 BCS National Championship game. Oklahoma also won the 2000 Natty. Auburn hadn't even had a 10 win season since 1997 so I'm sure most of America wanted to see a USC vs Oklahoma matchup. Those 2 schools have massive fanbases compared to us.

I totally get what you're saying and that we would've played USC closer than Oklahoma did but I also see why Oklahoma got in over Auburn because they started #2 and we started #17. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 5:31 PM, JDUBB4AU said:

So is this legit or not ? Is AU claiming what’s rightfully theirs ?

Until Auburn puts it on their merchandise and puts it on Jordan Hare stadium for all to see, it won't be "official" in my eyes. We'll see I guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Until Auburn puts it on their merchandise and puts it on Jordan Hare stadium for all to see, it won't be "official" in my eyes. We'll see I guess.

I don’t agree with claiming “Jelly of the Month Club” national champs, claim one’s that make sense and end the discussion. 

If it's not helping our current situation, who cares what some past record is.  We can claim a thousand and it still want change today. To hell with what we can claim, I want to win today, now and the future. 

Strictly my outlook and mine alone. Not bashing at all but I just cant focus on past what could have been, that's a huge waste of time and energy to me. 

On 10/30/2023 at 8:03 PM, JuscAUse! said:

Jason Campbell was a robot in 2004.  Whatever throw you programmed him to make, he made.  Didn't give up a rushing TD nearly all season.  Best AU team I've ever seen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, AUApostle said:

Jason Campbell was a robot in 2004.  Whatever throw you programmed him to make, he made.  Didn't give up a rushing TD nearly all season.  Best AU team I've ever seen.

While great with a lot of talent, the 1983 team was also a force.  They also deserved the title.  Those two are the most deserving of the four being discussed.  The undefeated team in Bowden’s first year was also but it would not have held a candle to the other two. 

1913, no clue.  I am old but not that old. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Dwayne Pride said:

While great with a lot of talent, the 1983 team was also a force.  They also deserved the title.  Those two are the most deserving of the four being discussed.  The undefeated team in Bowden’s first year was also but it would not have held a candle to the other two. 

1913, no clue.  I am old but not that old. 

@augolf1716 - thoughts?  First hand account?

1 hour ago, Hay Field 101 said:

If it's not helping our current situation, who cares what some past record is.  We can claim a thousand and it still want change today. To hell with what we can claim, I want to win today, now and the future. 

Strictly my outlook and mine alone. Not bashing at all but I just cant focus on past what could have been, that's a huge waste of time and energy to me. 

Claiming any championship from the past isn’t intended to change today as much as recognizing what those past coaches and players accomplished. 

4 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

USC and Oklahoma started the 2004 season ranked #1 and #2 and never lost. We started that season #17 and never lost. The computers chose USC and Oklahoma over us and the computers don't play favorites. If we had started out ranked in the top 5, we would've passed Oklahoma probably. We just started too far behind and I get the reasoning for ranking us #17 because in 2003 we were picked by some people to win that Natty but we finished 8-5. We started that year ranked #6. USC won the AP National Title in 2003 and Oklahoma played LSU in the 2003 BCS National Championship game. Oklahoma also won the 2000 Natty. Auburn hadn't even had a 10 win season since 1997 so I'm sure most of America wanted to see a USC vs Oklahoma matchup. Those 2 schools have massive fanbases compared to us.

I totally get what you're saying and that we would've played USC closer than Oklahoma did but I also see why Oklahoma got in over Auburn because they started #2 and we started #17. 

Maybe. However, they were talking about " the eye test " back then , too. If it was as cut and dried as you think, ESPN wouldn't have spent the second half of the season campaigning for OU. 

On 11/3/2023 at 2:06 PM, JuscAUse! said:

Maybe. However, they were talking about " the eye test " back then , too. If it was as cut and dried as you think, ESPN wouldn't have spent the second half of the season campaigning for OU. 

I remember the ESPN talking heads that season and you're spot on about their bias towards Oklahoma. The only ESPN analyst that always pushed for Auburn and said that we deserved to pass Oklahoma was Trev Alberts. All of the others seemed to just be looking at the popularity of the schools and what schools brought the better TV ratings.

• Like 1