I'll bet you a bottle of Screaming Eagle cab, you can't name,

LPTiger

without Googling, the team in the SEC with the most # of sacks and the three teams with the least number of sacks......

These numbers are based off the SEC's website, and since it doesn't list all players with 2 sacks (it only lists about 5), I only counted players who had 3 or more sacks.  In order, the list is

OM 27 sacks with 7 players with 3 or more

ATM 22 sacks with 5 players with 3 or more

Ala 21  4 players

UT 19 4 players

Ark  16 4 players

Mst  12 2 players

Vandy 11 3 players

UM 9 2 players

AU 8 2 players

UGA 7 2 players

LSU 6 2 players

UF 3 1 player

So, maybe UGA and LSU have 7 players with 2 sacks each... but I am shocked these 2 teams combined only have 4 players with 3 or more sacks.   The SEC website does not list QB hits or hurries which are both very important stats.   Having elite pass rushers who can pressure the QB is an area we have been lacking in for a long time.   Yesterday, if memory serves, we had zero sacks and just 1 QB hit (on a pass play).   

Also, our defensive lineman recorded just 1 TFL yesterday.   I'm sure part of the reason for that was trying to keep the QB in front, but the lack of negative plays stresses a defense and particularly stresses the DB's.   Our DB's repeatedly are forced to cover for 5, 6 and 7 seconds while our defensive lineman play patticake with the lineman in front of them.   As the stats above show, elite pass rushers don't grow on trees.   In the entire league, there are only 5 players credited with 7 or more sacks and only 10 with 5 or more.   IMO, in order for us to get to where we want to be, we need to recruit some guys like the 5 with 7 or more sacks.   I would guess that those 5 have twice as many QB hits/pressures as they do sacks....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

without Googling, the team in the SEC with the most # of sacks and the three teams with the least number of sacks......

These numbers are based off the SEC's website, and since it doesn't list all players with 2 sacks (it only lists about 5), I only counted players who had 3 or more sacks.  In order, the list is

OM 27 sacks with 7 players with 3 or more

ATM 22 sacks with 5 players with 3 or more

Ala 21  4 players

UT 19 4 players

Ark  16 4 players

Mst  12 2 players

Vandy 11 3 players

UM 9 2 players

AU 8 2 players

UGA 7 2 players

LSU 6 2 players

UF 3 1 player

So, maybe UGA and LSU have 7 players with 2 sacks each... but I am shocked these 2 teams combined only have 4 players with 3 or more sacks.   The SEC website does not list QB hits or hurries which are both very important stats.   Having elite pass rushers who can pressure the QB is an area we have been lacking in for a long time.   Yesterday, if memory serves, we had zero sacks and just 1 QB hit (on a pass play).   

Also, our defensive lineman recorded just 1 TFL yesterday.   I'm sure part of the reason for that was trying to keep the QB in front, but the lack of negative plays stresses a defense and particularly stresses the DB's.   Our DB's repeatedly are forced to cover for 5, 6 and 7 seconds while our defensive lineman play patticake with the lineman in front of them.   As the stats above show, elite pass rushers don't grow on trees.   In the entire league, there are only 5 players credited with 7 or more sacks and only 10 with 5 or more.   IMO, in order for us to get to where we want to be, we need to recruit some guys like the 5 with 7 or more sacks.   I would guess that those 5 have twice as many QB hits/pressures as they do sacks....

The drop off along the D Line and LBer is much more drastic than I expected it would be. Our 180 pound DBs are much more physical than our interior d linemen. 

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

WED, The difference is the SEC's website, where I got my numbers from, doesn't list players with 1 sack and only lists a few with 2 sacks so as I stated above I just included players with 3 sacks or more.    Still, the rankings are real close and LSU and UF are still at the end of the line which is shocking to me.   I personally think LSU is hurting that freak linebacker of their's by playing him all over the field instead of as a rush end.  Pass rushers make the big $$$$ in the NFL.   

27 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

WED, The difference is the SEC's website, where I got my numbers from, doesn't list players with 1 sack and only lists a few with 2 sacks so as I stated above I just included players with 3 sacks or more.    Still, the rankings are real close and LSU and UF are still at the end of the line which is shocking to me.   I personally think LSU is hurting that freak linebacker of their's by playing him all over the field instead of as a rush end.  Pass rushers make the big $$$$ in the NFL.   

SEC website doesn't show total stats?   You just had to sum up all the individual stats?

If you watch, we played contain on their QB last night to keep him in front of us, which will lead to fewer sacks. He showed it was the right strategy by hurting us badly when he broke contain a few times, one of which was when one of the pass rushers thought he could get the QB by turning inside. QB went outside for a big gainer. Our best DL is a fat run plugger too, which again cuts our sacks. Remember when one of the great bammer D's had that guy they called Mountain? His stats were not at all impressive, but he just clogged up the middle completely. No amount of Drano was going to get him out. Sacks are important for sure, but sometimes the scheme and personnel can still be sound while not putting up many sacks. 

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

SEC website doesn't show total stats?   You just had to sum up all the individual stats?

I'm an idiot.    I just looked back at the SEC website, and I was looking at the "individual" stats vs the "team" stats.   The individual stats don't show players with 1 sack and only a few with 2.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

Remember when one of the great bammer D's had that guy they called Mountain? 

Terrence Cody aka Mount Cody.   No doubt we were trying to keep the QB in front, I acknowledged that in my initial post.    But this has been an issue for us for years.

3 hours ago, LPTiger said:

I'm an idiot.    I just looked back at the SEC website, and I was looking at the "individual" stats vs the "team" stats.   The individual stats don't show players with 1 sack and only a few with 2.

So ... how many bottles of Screaming Eagle Cab do you have to pay out?  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dwayne Pride said:

That was a bold statement.  I was wondering what that wine was and then shocked when I found out. 

It is best saved for very special occasions....

Just now, LPTiger said:

It is best saved for very special occasions....

I can imagine.  I am glad you didn’t have to pay it out and I don’t even know you…or do I?

Those stats, no matter which way you slice them, were surprising. 

• Thanks 1