Freeze responds to not being aggressive enough

Auburn93

5 hours ago, HAPvsOA said:

don't remember the details either, but our offense in the 2nd half was obviously less aggressive than in the 1st half. I am not saying that was a bad decision because we won. But it's obvious and he deserves criticism on this after the extremely poor passing offense in previous SEC games this season. The fan base wants him to keep the gas pedal all the way down for entertainment reasons. seems like a reasonable want from the fans, but I'd probably go his route if I wanted to secure the win.  

I agree. Flashbacks of Gus, especially that 2017 game at LSU where we were up 17-0 in the first quarter and ended up losing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ClarkGriswold said:

Yeah, we should have kept throwing! Just like Curly Hallman did…

“After LSU jumped out to a 23-9 lead going into the fourth quarter, Auburn had five fourth quarter interceptions - three were returned for touchdowns - as the Tigers extended their winning streak to 15 games with a 30–26 win. Auburn made one first down in the second half, yet scored 27 points in the comeback.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmhAb3i99mg

Clark, I was on a dove hunt that day, unfortunately with multiple Bama fans.    Early on I noticed they had left the field and were huddling around a radio with a lot of snickering going on...   The snickering then became anxious noises, followed by multiple curse words.   I was hammering the doves and not paying a whole lot of attention to them until I heard a massive groan in unison....   I believe that was our third pick.  I went over and said "boys y'all missed a heck of a hunt" and they looked like I said "kids you know Santa Claus isn't real."   That was a good day!!!!     

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, au701948 said:

I have to agree with Coach. Field position was pitiful in the 2nd Half. All that CHF and the team had accomplished in the 1st Half would have been squandered with one  mistake. 
I have to appreciate the candor of Coach. There wasn’t a lot of coach speak.

Agree to disagree.  

I think it was Jacob Goins that asked the question, and he’s as good as gold. It did seem super conservative. So maybe instead of being defensive, CHF could have just answered the question the same way without the biting sarcasm. 

• Like 5

On 11/1/2023 at 4:09 AM, HAPvsOA said:

don't remember the details either, but our offense in the 2nd half was obviously less aggressive than in the 1st half. I am not saying that was a bad decision because we won. But it's obvious and he deserves criticism on this after the extremely poor passing offense in previous SEC games this season. The fan base wants him to keep the gas pedal all the way down for entertainment reasons. seems like a reasonable want from the fans, but I'd probably go his route if I wanted to secure the win.  

Thanks for the response and just my opinion but other than that one possession in the fourth-quarter I mentioned above, I just don’t think we have much to complain about.

Just to recap:

1. One third quarter possession, we got a field goal.

3. Three fourth quarter possessions:

3A. Peyton takes a knee to end the game.

3B. Received the ball at the 2 yard line, up by two or three scores, weren’t going to take any chances, but still banged out a first down or two before we punt.

3C. This drive you may criticize but you realize at the same time we were again up by two or three scores so the play-calling was fairly conservative.

One of our punts was fourth and one. Is he supposed to go for it on fourth and one up by two or three scores?

Remember running the football before Peyton took a knee to end the game, we ran for a heck of a lot of yards. If that would’ve happened earlier, we wouldn’t have been punting on fourth and one. I could go on, but I think everyone gets it.

Edited by AU-24
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, woodford said:

I mainly only listen to 247 AU Undercover, so I like the guy and I'm going to sound like a total boomer here, but I physically cringe when I hear Nathan King call him "Hugh." 

It's Coach Freeze. Or Coach Hugh Freeze. 

Sorry, carry on.

This is something that has driven me nuts for years and I have had some pretty heated debates with folks on the topic. I absolutely hate when anyone, especially players or reporters, refer to a coach or former coach as "insert first name". 

I was raised and taught that you address them as Coach. Whether it's simply "Coach" or " Coach Freeze" or "Coach Hugh" or "Head Coach Brother Hugh Freeze" and on and on and on.....Coach should be included. 

I learned this at a very early age from my Dad. Then my HS Football coach , Coach Louis Thompson, played for Coach Bear Bryant...and any time he ever told a story about playing you never heard him say "Bear" it was always "Coach Bryant". 

It's just respectful IMO. Unless the coach says "hey call me Hugh" then there should be a Coach included. PISSES ME OFF!!!

Rant over.

• Like 2

So I agree with Coach about the field position and not wanting to make a stupid mistake and risk the momentum of the game. I see people saying things like " HF took his foot off the gas knowing me should be trying to build an identity" and stuff like that....well....the current game is Priority 1. Get the win. 

Another thing, I haven't had a chance to rewatch the 2nd half yet and I had a house party going on during the live game so I honestly wasn't paying full attention to it then.....but I saw on TOS that one of the beat guys ( Pink...who is pretty dang good on X's and O's) did a play script analysis and he said that most of the game we ran RPO's. He even went on to say that only 4 of our rushes didn't have a Pass option attached.  WTS, barring the idea that Thorne just misread a bunch of them, maybe it wasn't as big of a philosophical change from half to half as some are making it out to be in terms of playcalling. 

Either way....we got the dub. WDE!

8 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

So maybe instead of being defensive, CHF could have just answered the question the same way without the biting sarcasm. 

boo.gif

katena-sarcasm-tbv-sarcasm.gif

hp-harry-potter.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hugh handled that question about as perfectly as you could handle it. 

Hey, he could have gone full Dabo. The media would have slaughtered him, though. 

Miss St was one fumble\pick 6 away from being in a situation that they felt like they could steal the win. In hindsight, leaning on the unit that you trust the most was the smart decision.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Hey, he could have gone full Dabo. The media would have slaughtered him, though

Lol! You ain’t lyin…he also had no reason to justify his existence for being alive just because a kid/reporter was frustrated and asked a tough question 

19 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Nothing will ever shut bird up I've tried for years and years

Eyesight has to be bad after a couple millennia 

12 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

Lol! You ain’t lyin…he also had no reason to justify his existence for being alive just because a kid/reporter was frustrated and asked a tough question 

Yea he went off on a bit of on a tangent there, but I pretty much agreed with him after he laid out his success with Clemson. 

I’d like to think that Auburn fans wouldn’t turn into that if we ever did what Clemson did. But……

We would probably be worse.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Yea he went off on a bit of on a tangent there, but I pretty much agreed with him after he laid out his success with Clemson. 

I’d like to think that Auburn fans wouldn’t turn into that if we ever did what Clemson did. But……

We would probably be worse.

It's the lean years that should make you appreciate the fat ones. Emotions blur our logic 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

I think it was Jacob Goins that asked the question, and he’s as good as gold. It did seem super conservative. So maybe instead of being defensive, CHF could have just answered the question the same way without the biting sarcasm. 

Honestly, I have no problem with how he answered it.  He'd been asked that question several ways already in the presser after the game and responded with his points about field position and the lead we had.  And he'd given a more general response earlier in this presser about it.  What else was Goins hoping to get him to say?

Yes, in real time it seemed super conservative.  But when you look at the actual drives and situations they came in, I don't think so.  Mildly conserviate perhaps on one of the drives.  But I can't fault the man for looking at drives backed up inside your own 15 and your own 5, when you're up by 2 or 3 scores against a struggling offense, and deciding that he wasn't going to be risky and give them an easy touchdown.  Especially considering one of the times we were backed up, we did convert the first down but had a stupid penalty get it called back.

I think reporters sometimes ask things as if it's just self-evident that the coaches made a bad strategic move or called a bad play and once in a while, it's not wrong to show them that there's more that goes into these decisions than what a few games on Madden might make you think.

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It's the lean years that should make you appreciate the fat ones. Emotions blur our logic 

Yea last year when Arkansas and Ole Miss were beating the hell out of us, I found my appreciation for Gus Malzahn again. Lol 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Chaotic_zx said:

I was in agreement that the second half was bland in contrast to the first. I listened to the press conference and Freeze made logical points. So it changed my mind. No coach will get aggressive when leading by two scores and are between the 1 yard line and 15. It is not logical. He made his point and his point resonated.

There are some in the media that are insufferable(Hoke).  Listening to them opine is like chatting with bama fans. We as Auburn fans do not need much to get us on the warpath(including me on that). They stoke those feelings and then sit back and complain that we are being unreasonable. Yet they complain about the same things. The coaches defending themselves from media is ok by me. Dabo took it too far in attacking a fan and he needs to stop being a b!t@#. Largely because coaches come and go. Fans on the other hand are there through multiple tenures. 

I'm right there with you. Perhaps the 2nd half seemed so frustrating because of how impressive the 1st half was. It just felt like a let down. But what Coach Freeze is saying clicks with me. I hereby formerly cancel my protest march slated for this Thursday. 😁

• Like 1

Hugh deserves a lot of criticism for the decisions made during that 4 SEC game stretch. It almost feels like he sacrificed those games by not showing our hand as an offense, in order to insure that we can surprise the Miss St, Vandy, and Arky teams and squeeze into a bowl birth. But that would be a version of 4D chess that is unfathomable.

He didn’t deserve to be grilled by the Auburn beat for Miss St though. The team accomplished everything we had been asking them to accomplish all season. QB stayed in and accomplished something. Offense looked balanced and took the perfect amount of shots down field, defense stayed off the field, etc.

18 hours ago, ClarkGriswold said:

“After LSU jumped out to a 23-9 lead going into the fourth quarter, Auburn had five fourth quarter interceptions - three were returned for touchdowns - as the Tigers extended their winning streak to 15 games with a 30–26 win. Auburn made one first down in the second half, yet scored 27 points in the comeback.”

I was at that game.   We were pitiful on offense that day.   1 first down in the second half, and the rest were not even close.   I remember we went 3 and out with less than 2 minutes on the clock and I told my friend "Well that's the ball game.   Hallman isn't stupid enough to throw the ball again".   Boy was I wrong.   Hallman really was stupid.   I think they fired him the next day.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ClarkGriswold said:

I was at that game.   We were pitiful on offense that day.   1 first down in the second half, and the rest were not even close.   I remember we went 3 and out with less than 2 minutes on the clock and I told my friend "Well that's the ball game.   Hallman isn't stupid enough to throw the ball again".   Boy was I wrong.   Hallman really was stupid.   I think they fired him the next day.  

Honestly it must be a slow sports week, although not true , because we are way over analyzing this after a win. 

Butttt……. The lack of field position was almost entirely due to the offensive play calling.  Miss State also started a couple drives inside the 10 in the 2nd half and pushed to midfield before punting it back.  Auburn would then run three straight running plays into a stacked box while at the same time not running the play clock to zero and punting it back to Miss State.  What makes it even worse is at the end of the fourth qtr, after Auburn has stopped Miss State, they call a QB run with Thorne where he gets destroyed and then throws it into the endzone.  What is that?  

27 minutes ago, DAG said:

Honestly it must be a slow sports week, although not true , because we are way over analyzing this after a win. 

This is the beginning of the dynasty DAG. Breathe it in, brother! It’s not about wins and losses anymore. It’s about how dominant we look.

😂image.gif.977c9f5b59ece7f53ae30deb137992df.gif

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Haha 1