Nick Marshal Arrested

aubiefifty

1819news.com

Former Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall arrested in Georgia | Alabama…

Will Blakely | 11.13.23
2–3 minutes

Photo from Wikipedia Photo from Wikipedia.

Former Auburn Tigers quarterback Nick Marshall, who led the team to contend for the National Championship during the 2013 season, has been arrested and charged with possessing a “sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, dangerous weapon or silencer.” 

According to reports, police officers arrested Marshall on Wednesday in Columbus, Ga. Police also arrested a girl who was in the car with him named Lenequa Breshay Borders.

Columbus’ WRBL reported that Marshall possessed an “automatic handgun,” which had been modified. 

Marshall transferred from the University of Georgia before leading Auburn to the National Championship game against Florida State University, which they lost. He famously completed a 73-yard Hail Mary touchdown pass in the final seconds of the team’s game against Georgia earlier that season. 

The 31-year-old Georgia native played in the National Football League for two seasons before signing with a team in the Indoor Football League, then later with the Saskatchewan Roughriders, part of the Canadian Football League. 

He is still listed on the team’s roster.

To connect with the author of this story or to comment, email will.blakely@1819news.com or find him on Twitter and Facebook.

Edited by aubiefifty

• aubiefifty changed the title to Nick Marshal Arrested

5 minutes ago, woodford said:

A lot of Georgia and Alabama fans who have arsenals of their own will make jokes about this. 

guns are bad enough but sawed off weapons are a really bad look as well as the modified glock. it makes me mad because it gives the haters ammo.

• Dislike 2

16 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

guns are bad enough but sawed off weapons are a really bad look as well as the modified glock. it makes me mad because it gives the haters ammo.

That was punny 🤣

• Haha 1

Heartbreaking to see people who have seemingly 'made it' make really dumb choices that can upend their lives.  This is at least Marshall's 3rd encounter with the law.  He had everything to lose and nothing to gain by whatever he was up to in Columbus.  Reminiscent of Greg Robinson's mind-bogglingly stupid decisions in recent years.

• Like 3

Second greatest play-action QB in college history (after Jamelle Holliway).

Remember when ole Nick was arrested in his grandmother's car for possession of paraphernalia he claimed grandma already had in the car?🤣 That was pretty messed up.

• Haha 1

Everyone who knows Lenequa knows she is bad to carry sawed off shotguns and rifles as well as fully automatic pistols.  Nick was just in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong "girl."  Did anyone notice (1) that the article referred to her as a "girl" vs "woman" and (2) the OL in the pic has a tat on his arm of a cartoon soldier with a rifle?   It doesn't appear to be sawed off....

30 minutes ago, KansasTiger said:

It's not like he got busted for drugs or killed a guy. He had a modified weapon. He did nothing wrong in my eyes. Shall not be infringed.

I'm sure Nick and Lenequa are simply members of Columbus, Ga's 'well regulated militia' 

13 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

I'm sure Nick and Lenequa are simply members of Columbus, Ga's 'well regulated militia' 

Good thing the court determined that didn't matter.

From Cornell Law:

"Further, the Court found that the phrase “well regulated Militia” referred not to formally organized state or federal militias, but to the pool of “able-bodied men” who were available for conscription"

• Like 5

a good history lesson for myself today:

“I ask who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.” – George Mason, Address to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 4, 1788

“A militia when properly formed are in fact the people themselves…and include, according to the past and general usuage of the states, all men capable of bearing arms…  “To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” – Richard Henry Lee, Federal Farmer No. 18, January 25, 1788

“The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country.” – James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434, June 8, 1789

“What, Sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty …. Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins.” – Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts, I Annals of Congress 750, August 17, 1789

“The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” – Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788

“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined…. The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun.” – Patrick Henry, Speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 5, 1778

“…the ultimate authority, wherever the derivative may be found, resides in the people alone…” – James Madison, Federalist No. 46, January 29, 1788

“No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” – Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops.” – Noah Webster, An Examination of the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution, October 10, 1787

“The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed.” – Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Cartwright, 5 June 1824

“What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms.” – Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, December 20, 1787

“The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” – Thomas Jefferson, Commonplace Book (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria), 1774-1776

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Saskatchewan Roughriders Release Former Auburn Star After Gun Charge

Nick Marshall, who quarterbacked Auburn to the 2013 national championship game, was arrested on a gun possession charge in Georgia and subsequently released by the CFL Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Art Garcia

Nov 15, 2023 10:15 AM EST

The Saskatchewan Roughriders released Nick Marshall on Monday after learning the defensive back had been arrested on a gun charge last week in Georgia.

The team announced the move in a one-sentence release.

Marshall, known as Nic with the Roughriders, and a woman in a vehicle with him were arrested on Thursday in Columbus, Georgia, according to television station WRBL. Marshall, 31, and Lanequa Breshay Borders, 32, were each charged with a gun possession felony.

Nick Marshall led Auburn to the BCS national championship game in 2014 against Florida State.

Police stopped the vehicle Marshall was driving and reportedly found a modified automatic handgun. Records said Marshall and Borders were in “possession of sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, dangerous weapon, or silencer.”

Marshall had played for the Roughriders since 2018, earning West Division All-Star honors in 2021. He had 31 tackles and five interceptions in 17 games in 2023. In five years with the team, Marshall totaled 20 picks.

Before coming to the CFL, Marshall played 2015-16 with the Jacksonville Jaguars and New York Jets. He was suspended by the Jets for testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs and eventually released.

He began his college career at Georgia before being dismissed for an unspecified violation of team rules. Marshall eventually transferred and spent two years at Auburn as the starting quarterback, helping lead the Tigers to the BCS title game after the 2013 season. Auburn lost to Florida State.

Marshall was part of one of the most iconic players in Auburn history – the “Prayer at Jordan Hare” – to beat Georgia in 2013 and keep the Tigers’ title hopes alive.

1 hour ago, KansasTiger said:

Good thing the court determined that didn't matter.

From Cornell Law:

"Further, the Court found that the phrase “well regulated Militia” referred not to formally organized state or federal militias, but to the pool of “able-bodied men” who were available for conscription"

This is in the football thread. I suggest we keep political commentary isolated to the political section of this board.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 2

I hope Nick is able to get his life straightened out. I did not remember about getting released from the Jets for failing drug testing. It feels a bit Dyer like in throwing away opportunities. I wish him the best. He was one of the best option QBs I had ever seen. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

This is in the football thread. I suggest we keep political commentary isolated to the political section of this board.

I was responding to a political response. Take up your complaint with coffee, not me. I was simply stating I personally didn't think Marshall did anything immoral. Unless having opinions on his actions is now inherently political.

Edited by KansasTiger
  • Like 2

I don’t care what he had, just hate he ended up in that situation. NM is one of my all time favorite players. He’s made a career in the CFL. Hopefully he can join a USFL/XFL team. 

• Like 3

I too loved watching Nick play and hate this for him.   I own 20 plus firearms ranging from a .38 to a 6.5 PRC.   I've NEVER had reason to own a sawed off shot gun, much less a sawed off rifle, much less a fully automatic pistol.   Never mind a reason for having all 3 of them in the car with me.   One 9MM loaded with 50 Grain CD is in my truck at all times and is plenty to disable someone in the unlikely event someone ever tries me.  I pray to the Good Lord I never have to pull it.    Nick's arsenal suggests he knew serious trouble was looking for him or worse he was looking for serious trouble.    I hope he hasn't done something that would cause that kind of trouble.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

I was responding to a political response. Take up your complaint with coffee, not me. I was simply stating I personally didn't think Marshall did anything immoral. Unless having opinions on his actions is now inherently political.

The last comment “shall not be infringed” had political connotations. The political side of the forum is messy enough. I would be a mess if it leaked into the football side of things.

12 minutes ago, ScotsAU said:

The last comment “shall not be infringed” had political connotations. The political side of the forum is messy enough. I would be a mess if it leaked into the football side of things.

Quoting the constitution shouldn't be politically associated. I'm not going to let you or anyone co-opt that as politically motivated. You're making this more political than I am. 

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Sounds like a bs charge. Hoping he gets it cleared up soon and there’s nothing serious behind it. Over the last few years I’ve lost much faith in the criminal justice system. 

• Like 1