College basketball talk (including Auburn)

AUBwins

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

His efficiency is actual poop, but the way he’s drawing FTs and rebounding, it seems like Beard just asked him to do more of what he was good at. And I’m sure that charge rule helped like mentioned above. I assume CMo will be his primary matchup when we play them, that will certainly be a mud fight 

Or cbm?  Not sure cmo can hang with him.  I hate we have to play him.  

58 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Or cbm?  Not sure cmo can hang with him.  I hate we have to play him.  

Well CMo starts, and appears to be the most consistent starter to date (along with Jaylin). CMo is actually good physically for the type of game Allen plays, just can’t use too much body when he’s driving to the rim 

CBM is very spindly - he’s got good hands and length, but I have some belief Flanagan is just going to put a shoulder in the guy’s chest and knock him out the frame lol. One thing about Flan is that he was built like a rock 

• Like 1

I feel like wings will be the most interesting challenge for us on defense all season. Especially those that are closer to 6’6 or so. I don’t love our guard defense so far this season, but at least Tre and Aden have the frame that matches most point guards. 

best defense against Edey is gonna be a 5 out offense that makes Edey work his ass off defending actions around the perimeter. What used to kill Jokic against Golden St (before last year) or Joel against the Celtics in game 7. A team like Auburn with a 5 that can space and a PG that you can't play drop coverage on...that would be a good start

• Like 1

Kentucky shot 16-27 from 3 tonight scoring 118pts against Marshall

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Damn

Yea.  They are loaded this year

I thought Virginia Tech looked pretty good vs Boise St and Iowa State, but FAU is taking them to the woodshed today. So our game with them is losing its shine. Hokies also have a really bad loss vs horrible South Carolina. 

9 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

I thought Virginia Tech looked pretty good vs Boise St and Iowa State, but FAU is taking them to the woodshed today. So our game with them is losing its shine. Hokies also have a really bad loss vs horrible South Carolina. 

Beginning to think FAU is just a really good team

• Like 1

Are you guys pulling for all SEC teams in the ACC challenge?  I have a hard time pulling for KY and TN, but we need wins in the challenge to help get additional teams in the dance.  I don't think I can pull for Arkansas with their coach and I'm obviously not pulling for uat.   I think I will pull for the rest of the SEC.  

On 11/22/2023 at 9:11 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

His efficiency is actual poop, but the way he’s drawing FTs and rebounding, it seems like Beard just asked him to do more of what he was good at. And I’m sure that charge rule helped like mentioned above. I assume CMo will be his primary matchup when we play them, that will certainly be a mud fight 

CMO will get dominated by AF.  Not even a close matchup.  I hope we have a better game plan than CMO.  

16 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Seems like a bit much 

Pearl ridiculously starting cmo over AF last year is what caused all the internal problems. In the end cost us Wes and Al. The matchup is not even close or debatable. Al easily owns CMO in ever aspect of the game.   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KillenTime said:

Pearl ridiculously starting cmo over AF last year is what caused all the internal problems. In the end cost us Wes and Al. The matchup is not even close or debatable. Al easily owns CMO in ever aspect of the game.   

Not sure what your big problem with CMO is. He is a glue type player that will rebound, play good defense, and occasionally get you get you 4-8 points a game. That's it and no one is expecting anything more than that. He is also averaging a whopping 2 more minutes per game than his backup CBM and his starting position is likely a thank you for his years of hard work and dedication to the team over the years. I expect at some point CBM will get the starting nod but since they are playing equal minutes i don't know that it matters. 

AF is a better player all around than CMO and i haven't seen anyone state otherwise. AF started over CMO his whole AU career when he wasn't hurt, coming off injury, or in the middle of long stretches of being completely ineffective as a role player. Actually that is one thing CMO is better at AF at...being a role player. AF has only shown an ability to make a difference when he is the focus. I'm glad AF season is off to a good start and hope he continues to play well. I'm not losing any sleep over facing him and Wes when we play ol miss this season. 

35 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Not sure what your big problem with CMO is. He is a glue type player that will rebound, play good defense, and occasionally get you get you 4-8 points a game. That's it and no one is expecting anything more than that. He is also averaging a whopping 2 more minutes per game than his backup CBM and his starting position is likely a thank you for his years of hard work and dedication to the team over the years. I expect at some point CBM will get the starting nod but since they are playing equal minutes i don't know that it matters. 

AF is a better player all around than CMO and i haven't seen anyone state otherwise. AF started over CMO his whole AU career when he wasn't hurt, coming off injury, or in the middle of long stretches of being completely ineffective as a role player. Actually that is one thing CMO is better at AF at...being a role player. AF has only shown an ability to make a difference when he is the focus. I'm glad AF season is off to a good start and hope he continues to play well. I'm not losing any sleep over facing him and Wes when we play ol miss this season. 

Wrong about him starting over CMO his entire career.  CMO started the first 12 to 14 games last year before CMO was hurt.  Caused a lot of turmoil leading to the altercation between Wes and Al.  When pre-season practice started last year and CMO was in the starting five in place of Allen, Allen ended up with a suspension over it.  It was ridiculous and derailed the season from the start.  And the fact he is getting more minutes than CBM is also a joke.  He hustles and I pull for him when he is playing but he has no business being on the court at a big time basketball school.  He is a tweener that should be playing at Jack st. or UNA.  He will be okay when we play Alabama St.  We desperately need CBM to step up his game at the 3 or we will end up playing a 3 guard lineup in the clutch.  CMO led the team in TOs in the SEC last year.  I'm thinking per minute played but not sure.  Dude couldn't inbound a ball to save his life.  Thankfully we aren't trying to play him at the 4 this year where we have to watch him get a 100 balls blocked in the paint. 

Edited by KillenTime

59 minutes ago, KillenTime said:

Wrong about him starting over CMO his entire career.  CMO started the first 12 to 14 games last year before CMO was hurt.  Caused a lot of turmoil leading to the altercation between Wes and Al.  When pre-season practice started last year and CMO was in the starting five in place of Allen, Allen ended up with a suspension over it.  It was ridiculous and derailed the season from the start.  And the fact he is getting more minutes than CBM is also a joke.  He hustles and I pull for him when he is playing but he has no business being on the court at a big time basketball school.  He is a tweener that should be playing at Jack st. or UNA.  He will be okay when we play Alabama St.  We desperately need CBM to step up his game at the 3 or we will end up playing a 3 guard lineup in the clutch.  CMO led the team in TOs in the SEC last year.  I'm thinking per minute played but not sure.  Dude couldn't inbound a ball to save his life.  Thankfully we aren't trying to play him at the 4 this year where we have to watch him get a 100 balls blocked in the paint. 

AF was coming off an injury riddled and disappointing year his Junior season. If he thought he was going to walk into practice and be handed a starting position he was living in lala land. Kudos to Bruce for making him earn it and bonus kudos for benching him when he didn't take the competition well. Disagree on that strife derailing the season. That season sputtered because of lack of shooters and AF was a part of that overall poor shooting effort. Also Wendell pounding the ball into the court at the to of the key for all but 5 seconds of shot clock also did not help.  But i really don't want to trash AF just to pump up CMO. AF ended up having a fairly decent Senior season and good for him. I'm glad he is doing well at Ol Miss and wish him the best.

I don't recall CMO being the liability you describe and i'm not trying to hunt down those stats. I recall he was playing pretty well up until the shoulder injury and after that he was pretty ineffective. And so far this season I have no complaints about his play. Time will tell with both AF and CMO how they play as the competition gets tougher. I'll agree that i am glad he is able to play the 3 this year instead of the 4. I don't think he'll be called on to close out many games. 

4 hours ago, KillenTime said:

Are you guys pulling for all SEC teams in the ACC challenge?  I have a hard time pulling for KY and TN, but we need wins in the challenge to help get additional teams in the dance.  I don't think I can pull for Arkansas with their coach and I'm obviously not pulling for uat.   I think I will pull for the rest of the SEC.  

I agree, and I don't like aTm's coach either.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

AF was coming off an injury riddled and disappointing year his Junior season. If he thought he was going to walk into practice and be handed a starting position he was living in lala land. Kudos to Bruce for making him earn it and bonus kudos for benching him when he didn't take the competition well. Disagree on that strife derailing the season. That season sputtered because of lack of shooters and AF was a part of that overall poor shooting effort. Also Wendell pounding the ball into the court at the to of the key for all but 5 seconds of shot clock also did not help.  But i really don't want to trash AF just to pump up CMO. AF ended up having a fairly decent Senior season and good for him. I'm glad he is doing well at Ol Miss and wish him the best.

I don't recall CMO being the liability you describe and i'm not trying to hunt down those stats. I recall he was playing pretty well up until the shoulder injury and after that he was pretty ineffective. And so far this season I have no complaints about his play. Time will tell with both AF and CMO how they play as the competition gets tougher. I'll agree that i am glad he is able to play the 3 this year instead of the 4. I don't think he'll be called on to close out many games. 

Just being honest flanny was way better than CMO and it was bizarre that Bruce wanted to split those minutes 50-50. Flanigan scores more, assists more, rebounds more, and does everything at a higher level. Yes the poor shooting was a problem last year and we should’ve countered that by hammering JWill at the free throw line and Flanigan on the low block. Bruce doesn’t run offense. He lets playmakers create on offense. That’s why we sign such great guards like Sharife and Holloway. Last year was like watching a slow motion car crash because you could see fixable problems with the team and they never got fixed. Wendell also couldn’t drive the train. He’s also not the first wing player that has underperformed in Bruce’s offense. Ole Miss is calling up about 6 isolations for Flanigan on the block a game and he’s converting a high number of those designed plays. Chris Beard is doing a better job of unlocking that particular player’s potential at Ole Miss. That’s not to say that I don’t appreciate and enjoy watching us play ball. I’d like to see us take advantages of mismatches on offense more this year. I think that’s possible with better guard play from Holloway and Donaldson. I’ve also been impressed with KDs passing ability this year too. I look forward to a great season of Auburn basketball. I really want to win an SEC Tournament game and make it to the sweet 16. 

24 minutes ago, OfficiatingExpert said:

Buzz Williams is annoying as hell. He’s always dressed like a magician and he walks on the court. 

Yep, a turd in a 3 piece suit. 

6 hours ago, KillenTime said:

I never really understood the conference loyalty thing. The teams I dislike the most tend to be conference rivals and I enjoy watching them lose. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OfficiatingExpert said:

Buzz Williams is annoying as hell. He’s always dressed like a magician and he walks on the court. 

Hahaha magician that’s classic. “Now for my final act, watch me make Jabari Smith Jr. disappear.” He also has a recreational power lifter vibe.

Edited by tigeraddikt

We're going to have to be really smart with the ball against Kentucky. They run in pace even better than we do, and have some real offensive diversity this year. Defense was pretty meh in some high profile matchups before this Miami matchup - struggled against center size, but it sounds like they'll be bringing their bigs back soon 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BustemBigBlue said:

I never really understood the conference loyalty thing. The teams I dislike the most tend to be conference rivals and I enjoy watching them lose. 

In CBB, it has some real value because of the high value of SOS. I think you want a really strong conference, although you don't need every single team to be good. I wouldn't be mad if Arkansas or Alabama stunk lol 

• Like 2