My Thoughts from the Stadium (New Mexico State 2023)

abw0004

1 hour ago, KillenTime said:

You still have to get the teams prepared to play and have a sound strategy to match your strengths.  We haven't seen that at all even against the teams where the talent is equal or close to equal.  Flip coaching staffs and we win that game easily on Saturday.  Horrible coaching all year - talent or not. 

Talent is equal or close to equal at Arkansas, Miss St, Cal....  We're about right on schedule for wins this year, most people even on this board predicted anywhere from 6-8 wins.

Yep we had a terrible loss, yep we have a terrible roster left by years of recruiting neglect and transfers out, yep CHF has somewhat neglected the coaching aspect this year to try to focus on rebuilding the recruiting.

Based on history, it's the right thing to do. No teams are ever consistently highly rated that recruit poorly, no coach has ever been consistently successful with lesser talent. And every coach that has had consistently good talent has been successful.  I for one, will embrace the first coach in decades that is at least trying to do the one thing that can make us successful, recruit. There is nothing else that will make us successful, spending all your time this year on game prep and ignoring recruiting might have gotten us 8 wins... woohoo.

Even if you don't like that approach, it's the one approach we haven't tried! Clearly we've proven that "coaching them up" just doesn't work, as have many other schools. Give it a chance. 

Here are all the national champions since 2000. Georgia, Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Florida State, Auburn, Florida, LSU, Texas, Southern California, Miami, Oklahoma. Which one of those teams had poor recruits and "coached them up?" Yea, I don't see any in there either...

• Like 2

Most of the time successful coaches inherit players that do not fit their system and really struggle their first 1-2 years. Most become successful when players they recruit get in their 2nd-3rd year and then more highly rated players want to come. It’s a process. I think comparing the struggles the CKS, CNS, etc had their first year or two, not necessarily the scores of the non-conference lower tier team they lost to, is the comparison that’s being made.

Some people just don’t like CHF and will dwell on his immediate failures, some have way too high expectations for this season (IMO we are right where I thought we would be, sans the loss to NMSU). Rebuilding hurts, takes time and patience. Flash in the pan coaches don’t usually sustain long term success (CGC,CGM) 

This is just the state of the football program at the moment and there is really nothing else to be done until CHF gets the players he wants on campus. Moaning and groaning about something you have absolutely zero control over just cause more anxiety 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, gabo4au said:

Talent is equal or close to equal at Arkansas, Miss St, Cal....  We're about right on schedule for wins this year, most people even on this board predicted anywhere from 6-8 wins.

Yep we had a terrible loss, yep we have a terrible roster left by years of recruiting neglect and transfers out, yep CHF has somewhat neglected the coaching aspect this year to try to focus on rebuilding the recruiting.

Based on history, it's the right thing to do. No teams are ever consistently highly rated that recruit poorly, no coach has ever been consistently successful with lesser talent. And every coach that has had consistently good talent has been successful.  I for one, will embrace the first coach in decades that is at least trying to do the one thing that can make us successful, recruit. There is nothing else that will make us successful, spending all your time this year on game prep and ignoring recruiting might have gotten us 8 wins... woohoo.

Even if you don't like that approach, it's the one approach we haven't tried! Clearly we've proven that "coaching them up" just doesn't work, as have many other schools. Give it a chance. 

Here are all the national champions since 2000. Georgia, Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Florida State, Auburn, Florida, LSU, Texas, Southern California, Miami, Oklahoma. Which one of those teams had poor recruits and "coached them up?" Yea, I don't see any in there either...

If you are buying the "not coaching" to recruit spill that is on you.  Guy is trying to coach his azz off.  He just isn't very good at it.  

One week he is getting more involved, the next week he is recruiting, the next he is involved and calling plays, next he is more focused on offense than he has been,  blah blah blah, blame, blame, blame.  When the team performs he takes credit.  When they fail he isn't involved enough and it is someone else's fault.  I guess he is just coaching place kicking now.  It's the only good part of the team. 

• Facepalm 2

The only way to make up for that fiasco we called a football game against NMS would be to beat Alabama. But I will give the odds of beating Bama; Zero.

Edited by bikeriderga

On 11/20/2023 at 4:06 PM, sevenlee36 said:

Any coach that gets blown out and embarrassed by a team they shouldn’t ===== Nick Saban and Kirby Smart

I guess that’s why Gus and Harsin didn’t work out. They didn’t embarrass the program enough so they couldn’t be Saban our Kirby. Darn it.

Can we stop saying stuff like this? The only thing Hugh has over those two is that he coaches at Auburn. Other than that, Hugh isn't on their level and we shouldn't pretend like he is either. 

16 minutes ago, GTNupe11 said:

Can we stop saying stuff like this? The only thing Hugh has over those two is that he coaches at Auburn. Other than that, Hugh isn't on their level and we shouldn't pretend like he is either. 

Thats my point 

• Like 1