LSU postpones their opener vs N. Texas

TitanTiger

LSU VS. NORTH TEXAS GAME POSTPONED DUE TO HURRICANE KATRINA

BATON ROUGE – LSU’s football game versus North Texas, originally scheduled for this Saturday night, will be rescheduled due to the impact of Hurricane Katrina and the need for the LSU campus to participate in the recovery efforts, LSU announced Tuesday.

“The scope of this tragedy is becoming more evident as time passes, and LSU’s focus is on assisting in the recovery effort of our state,” said LSU chancellor Sean O’Keefe. “LSU is a primary evacuation site and we are not going to conduct any activities that could deter from our mission of assisting in the recovery mission.”

“The events of yesterday and this morning have made it clear that this is not the time to play a football game,” said LSU athletics director Skip Bertman. “This is a dire situation that rivals any in the history of our state, and our priorities are on participating in recovery efforts.”

A number of locations on the LSU campus, and athletics facilities in particular, are being used in the recovery efforts for Hurricane Katrina. The Carl Maddox Field House is a Special Needs Shelter and the Pete Maravich Assembly Center has been designated as a triage unit for medical emergencies. The Bernie Moore Track will be utilized as a helicopter landing site for medical emergencies.

In addition, the traffic resulting from a football game could seriously impede the movement of emergency medical vehicles coming from the New Orleans area.

The rescheduled date will be determined by the two schools and an announcement is expected within the next 36 to 48 hours on the planned date.

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?...0&ATCLID=182670

Normally, I'd say play the game, give the people of the state something else to think about for a few hours. But with BR being relatively close and needed as a triage and evacuation center, it's the right call to make. But it has to suck for the fans...just one more disappointment to add to the miserable situation.

Kudos indeed. They did the right thing and I wish them ALL well. :clap:

Guest Tigrinum Major

I have heard this debated on the radio talk shows this afternoon and have listened to the opinions both ways. While I agreed with playing the game at first, after seeing the destruction that is continuing this afternoon in New Orleans, I think they made the right decision.

There is a rumor on the tigerforums that the ASU game might be moved to Sun Devil Stadium. Completely unsubstaniated.

Semi-related:

Has anyone heard any report on what the Saints plan to do? Seems that right now the bottom of the Superdome is flooded. How extensive is the roof damage? Is it possible that they could get the bottom dried out and remove dangerous or threatening pieces of roof, then play games under the open sky until a new roof can be installed (probably in the off season). For that matter, will any part of New Orleans be ready for tourists again before the season is over?

In any case, football seems a little insignificant right now.

Semi-related:

Has anyone heard any report on what the Saints plan to do?  Seems that right now the bottom of the Superdome is flooded.  How extensive is the roof damage? Is it possible that they could get the bottom dried out and remove dangerous or threatening pieces of roof, then play games under the open sky until a new roof can be installed (probably in the off season).  For that matter, will any part of New Orleans be ready for tourists again before the season is over?

177157[/snapback]

I'd think it unlikely they'd allow any events to be played while repairs were going on. Might have to play games at LSU. I don't know.

This is a major event, make no mistake. Postponing the LSU/N.Texas game makes perfect sense. Most of New Orleans won't be habitable by Saturday, and I-10 is shut down indefinatly. There are bigger things to focus on rather than football.( scary, but true)

Is Baton Rouge in decent shape? Could they actually play a game there if they wanted to? Do they have power?

I thought it was hard hit also. If so, the Bengals may have more than one game to make up.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Is Baton Rouge in decent shape?  Could they actually play a game there if they wanted to?  Do they have power?

I thought it was hard hit also.  If so, the Bengals may have more than one game to make up.

177188[/snapback]

Baton Rouge is in good shape. I believe that the University has power, but not the residential areas. They were far enough north, on the "good" side of the storm and not built in a bowl, so the hurricane did not do much damage. Of course, that is a relative statement.

Semi-related:

Has anyone heard any report on what the Saints plan to do?  Seems that right now the bottom of the Superdome is flooded.  How extensive is the roof damage? Is it possible that they could get the bottom dried out and remove dangerous or threatening pieces of roof, then play games under the open sky until a new roof can be installed (probably in the off season).  For that matter, will any part of New Orleans be ready for tourists again before the season is over?

177157[/snapback]

Quiet

Getting the Dome in shape to play a football game is the least of New Orleans worries. If the Dome was in perfect shape how do you propose they get fans and players to the game? There is only one way into the city from the west and almost the entire city is under water.

Baton Rouge for the most part is ok, no major structural damage. Most of the city is still without power and the city is VERY crowded and only getting worse. They are now calling for an entire evacuation of N.O. which means the 30,000+ in the SuperDome will also be heading our way.

Wouldn't be surprised if LSU opens its season on Sept 24 vs. Tenn.. that might even be a stretch.

Baton Rouge for the most part is ok, no major structural damage. Most of the city is still without power and the city is VERY crowded and only getting worse. They are now calling for an entire evacuation of N.O. which means the 30,000+ in the SuperDome will also be heading our way.

Wouldn't be surprised if LSU opens its season on Sept 24 vs. Tenn.. that might even be a stretch.

177208[/snapback]

Good to see you back. My family's prayers are with everyone down that way.

177208[/snapback]

Good to see you back. My family's prayers are with everyone down that way.

177217[/snapback]

Thanks,

yes this is just a very bad situation.....I never in a million years thought that I would care less about football 3 days before opening weekend. But that is the case!!

i heard they were trying to move the refugees from the superdome west (which i think is the only land accessible direction right now right?) to the astrodome. and from all i've heard since folks were asking the saints are looking at playing their season in san antonio. i'm praying for all you guys in louisiana and back in my home state in mississippi.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9063708/

NBC, MSNBC and news services

Updated: 3:24 p.m. ET Aug. 31, 2005

NEW ORLEANS - In a surprising assessment of Hurricane Katrina’s lethal destruction, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin said Wednesday he feared that thousands had died in his city alone and that the entire city would have to be evacuated.

“We know there is a significant number of dead bodies in the water,” Nagin told reporters, adding that there are others dead in attics.

Asked for a number, he said, “Minimum hundreds, most likely thousands.”

The frightening estimate came as Army engineers struggled to plug New Orleans’ breached levees with giant sandbags and concrete barriers.

There will be a “total evacuation of the city. We have to. The city will not be functional for two or three months,” Nagin said.

...flooding in New Orleans delayed rescues and forced authorities to lay plans to evacuate 25,000 refugees to Houston's Astrodome.

Officials in Houston, Texas, later said those evacuees would be sent on 475 buses to the city’s Astrodome, located 350 miles away. The stadium’s schedule was cleared through December to make it available

Buses would obviously mean a land route.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=2147430

Saints might not be able to return to New Orleans soon

Even as the NFL continued to assess and evaluate the widespread damage caused by Hurricane Katrina, and the possible ramifications to playing in the damaged Louisiana Superdome, New Orleans Saints officials began exploring potential alternate sites for practices and perhaps even games.

Saints director of operations James Nagaoka was in contact with officials from other cities, most notably San Antonio, about moving practices as early as next week. The team is currently practicing in San Jose, Calif., in advance of Thursday night's preseason game against the Oakland Raiders, and the preference is to return to a city in the South or the Southwest to begin preparations for the Sept. 11 regular-season opener.

Mike Abington, director of the Alamodome in San Antonio, confirmed the Saints have spoken to city officials. Nagaoka inquired about the availability of the San Antonio School District Spring Sports Complex, a site that could be under consideration for team practices. The Saints practiced at the site last September, when they were forced to leave New Orleans in advance of Hurricane Ivan. It is believed that Nagaoka also contacted officials from other cities in the southwest.

One league owner said he believed the Saints had begun "at least preliminary" talks about an alternative playing site, with the Alamodome topping the list.

A long time ago, I would have said "Bring the Saints to Birmingham and let them play at Legion Field." I wouldn't even wish Legion Field on :ua: now.

I would think Tom Benson would at least give the stadium in Shreveport a glance before going all the way to San Antonio.

Archived