The stat for 4th and 31 before this Iron Bowl

TeamZero77

If he would have thrown the ball to the outside WR cutting over the middle it would have been a TD.  Throw to the other corner, TD.  They were both more open than Bond.   No attempt to make the QB move and chasing receivers all over the field.  Exactly what Bama wanted.  What a colossally bad scheme for a “can’t possibly lose” situation.  And devised after a penalty review and two timeouts.   Brilliant!

1 hour ago, 1auburn1 said:

If he would have thrown the ball to the outside WR cutting over the middle it would have been a TD.  Throw to the other corner, TD.  They were both more open than Bond.   No attempt to make the QB move and chasing receivers all over the field.  Exactly what Bama wanted.  What a colossally bad scheme for a “can’t possibly lose” situation.  And devised after a penalty review and two timeouts.   Brilliant!

We had more DBs on the field than they had receivers, by a lot. The fact that we had enough to double cover almost everyone and no one was covering anyone is exactly the problem. On 4th and goal from the 31 it shouldn't matter how much time he has to throw. That play should fail 99% of the time because he has to throw into traffic. There was no traffic. Receivers were not blanketed. They were running free untouched. We had 2 linemen and essentially 9 DBs on the field. The fact that he had anyone open at all, much less multiple people is far more of an issue than the fact that he was given time to throw. In that situation I expected everyone to drop deep and make him put it into the end zone, where it should fail every time regardless of how much time he had to throw it. 

I would like to get back to the definition of “Hail Mary” play, if we could…that was fascinating.  

On 1/5/2024 at 7:15 PM, pikecracker said:

We had more DBs on the field than they had receivers, by a lot. The fact that we had enough to double cover almost everyone and no one was covering anyone is exactly the problem. On 4th and goal from the 31 it shouldn't matter how much time he has to throw. That play should fail 99% of the time because he has to throw into traffic. There was no traffic. Receivers were not blanketed. They were running free untouched. We had 2 linemen and essentially 9 DBs on the field. The fact that he had anyone open at all, much less multiple people is far more of an issue than the fact that he was given time to throw. In that situation I expected everyone to drop deep and make him put it into the end zone, where it should fail every time regardless of how much time he had to throw it. 

It shows exactly the lack of football savvy and discipline of your particular assignment by the DB’s.    The problem with anyone running around trying to stay with a receiver was the problem.   All eight DB’s could have stood in the end zone with their eyes on the Quarterback and waited for him to throw the ball and knock it down.   I didn’t have a problem rushing 3, but I did have a problem that the 3 rushing didn’t even rush.