The stat for 4th and 31 before this Iron Bowl

TeamZero77

The guys on SEC Final said for the past 2 years, when a team had a 3rd and 30+ or a 4th and 30+, they were 0 for 90. 

It's now 1 for 91. 

It's pretty amazing how these last 2 games for us have had some crazy stat like I just mentioned or last week we had won 84 straight games at Jordan Hare against an unranked Group of 5 school dating back to 1991 and then lost to NMSU. 

We are ending streaks but in a bad way. These last 2 games have been JABA if I've ever seen JABA. 

4 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

The guys on SEC Final said for the past 2 years, when a team had a 3rd and 30+ or a 4th and 30+, they were 0 for 90. 

It's now 1 for 91. 

It's pretty amazing how these last 2 games for us have had some crazy stat like I just mentioned or last week we had won 84 straight games at Jordan Hare against an unranked Group of 5 school dating back to 1991 and then lost to NMSU. 

We are ending streaks but in a bad way. These last 2 games have been JABA if I've ever seen JABA. 

Another interesting stat:

According to ESPN, only 9.7% of Hail Mary attempts are completed. Between 2009 and 2020, there were 193 attempts with 16 produced touchdowns.

6 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

That wasn’t a Hail Mary. It was a QB with a big arm making a successful fade pass to a top college receiver with zero pressure. It was one of the stupidest defensive coaching calls I’ve ever seen and that was the result.

Thank you. Definitely wasn’t a Hail Mary. A Hail Mary is what PT threw . 

23 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

That wasn’t a Hail Mary. It was a QB with a big arm making a successful fade pass to a top college receiver with zero pressure. It was one of the stupidest defensive coaching calls I’ve ever seen and that was the result.

Hail Mary passes in football are deep passes thrown in a last-second effort to gain the lead. Teams will throw this last-second desperation passes to get points as time expires. Every team has a Hail Mary pass in their playbook, as they always need to game plan for the worst possible scenario.Aug 31, 2023

Ok. It was a clearly targeted pass to a receiver in one on one coverage rather than an up for grabs throw, crowding receivers into a spot which is what signifies most Hail Mary passes. It wasn’t a lucky grab. Our man was beat and we gave the QB an easy throw.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Ok. It was a clearly targeted pass to a receiver in one on one coverage rather than an up for grabs throw, crowding receivers into a spot which is what signifies most Hail Mary passes. It wasn’t a lucky grab. Our man was beat and we gave the QB an easy throw.

Few things: 

It should not have been one on one. Back to execution.

You are correct most associate hail Mary passes with crowding receivers to a spot, but they actually have various designs.

Agree. It wasn't a lucky grab no doubt and our guy(s) got beat. 

It wasn't an easy throw. It was a 45 yard pass to the back of the endzone that was precise and any thing less wouldn't work.

9 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

It's now 1 for 91. 

If the term JABA is true we wouldn’t have had those streaks. IMO

If you are wondering why James was not in position to make a play, go look at the full game video of that play.  You will find that the AL player pushed off on James so hard that it turned James toward the goal line and he did not have position to defend against the pass.  Do not look at any of the videos that are posted by AL fans as they don't start their recording until after the push.  Danielson started to mention it from the booth and Freeze mentioned it in the post game press conference.   Watch out in the SEC Championship game because AL will get some help from the officials.  There are millions riding on whether both AL and GA get into the playoffs.  The only chance of that happening is if AL beats GA.  Hide and watch.

• Like 4

You are so right JWS. If there had been anything close to a hold or block in the back, the kick six would probably have been erased. At the very least UAT would still be whining. I haven't heard any AU friends complain about the no call last week. They just tip their hats and move on. WDE!!

On 11/26/2023 at 5:10 AM, TeamZero77 said:

It's now 1 for 91. 

I wonder why they would pick just the last 2 years.  I think a more meaningful # would be to compare desperation passes (last pass down the field to try to win the game) the numbers you have just referenced includes those plays that game is not on the line and the team just called a safe play and punted).

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2023 at 12:37 PM, AUFAN78 said:

Few things: 

It should not have been one on one. Back to execution.

You are correct most associate hail Mary passes with crowding receivers to a spot, but they actually have various designs.

Agree. It wasn't a lucky grab no doubt and our guy(s) got beat. 

It wasn't an easy throw. It was a 45 yard pass to the back of the endzone that was precise and any thing less wouldn't work.

Not a difficult read for Milroe. He stood back there with plenty of time to survey the end zone. Looking for single coverage and preferably one of the two back corners. One had a single defender with his back to the QB. Bingo!

On 11/26/2023 at 6:10 AM, TeamZero77 said:

It's now 1 for 91. 

That’s kinda a misleading stat.   I’ve seen a share of Hail Mary attempts be successful.    I’m not excusing the play because I think it was bundled by everyone, players and coaches.  

5 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

That’s kinda a misleading stat.   I’ve seen a share of Hail Mary attempts be successful.    I’m not excusing the play because I think it was bundled by everyone, players and coaches.  

That wasn't a hail mary. 

41 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

That wasn't a hail mary. 

It’s the same as a Hail Mary.   If the play fails, the game is over because no more timeouts by Bama.   And I know it wasn’t a Hail Mary, I was comparing the supposedly impossible play to that play because it was a do or die situation 

Auburn had little success getting to him all game. He escaped everything. I have no problem with not rushing anyone.  Every guy that misses him is someone not in position to prevent the reception when he inevitably passes after they fail to sack him. The tradeoff is that you put everyone in the end zone. It is touchdown or game over. Nothing else would have worked. No way he scrambles for 34 yards and the touchdown. Nothing underneath would work. It should have been impossible for any receiver to be in single coverage in the end zone. That is the part that baffles me. Every Alabama player should have had multiple AU guys on them. A fade should have been impossible. Even with the push off, there should have been at least one other dude there to stop it. 

• Like 1

It's not that no one blitzed, but the D-lineman just stood there and made no attempt to rush the passer. Go watch the video. What in the ever-living h3ll were they thinking?

CHF missed a golden opportunity to fire Ron Roberts. I don't care. You had your arch nemesis BEAT and then all of sudden they win the game on a stupid mistake. It's unforgivable. Now my day is ruined lol

17 hours ago, CMRVHS said:

It was a very good catch...after the offensive pass interference/offensive face mask.

The football gods were punishing Auburn for the horrendous defensive play call.

8 minutes ago, woodford said:

It's not that no one blitzed, but the D-lineman just stood there and made no attempt to rush the passer. Go watch the video. What in the ever-living h3ll were they thinking?

Honestly. I hated the rush 2 strategy, but at that point why not rush 0? Just put 11 DBs and WRs on the goal line and wait.

Edited by Auburn02

4 minutes ago, Auburn02 said:

Honestly. I hated the rush 2 strategy, but at that point why not rush 0? Just put 11 DBs and WRs on the goal line and wait.

Seriously? Why even have down lineman?

8 hours ago, aubaseball said:

It’s the same as a Hail Mary.   If the play fails, the game is over because no more timeouts by Bama.   And I know it wasn’t a Hail Mary, I was comparing the supposedly impossible play to that play because it was a do or die situation 

It's an important distinction, though, because he had a long time without pressure to let our coverage collapse and get that receiver open in the back corner against an off balance defender. That was not desperation. Desperation would have been what would have happened if we would have brought pressure and forced him to hurry his decision. But, that's not what happened. 

1 minute ago, aucom96 said:

It's an important distinction, though, because he had a long time without pressure to let our coverage collapse and get that receiver open in the back corner against an off balance defender. That was not desperation. Desperation would have been what would have happened if we would have brought pressure and forced him to hurry his decision. But, that's not what happened. 

That’s another discussion altogether.   I’m comparing it to a Hail Mary only in the sense that it was their last play on offense.    The original post was describing the 1-91 against 3rd or 4th over 30 something yards.    All I’m saying is that there have been teams recently who have given up touchdowns on plays longer than that at the end of a game (hence my comparison to a Hail Mary).    What’s the difference between giving up a 4th and 31 or giving up a 45 yard play to end the game?