Marquis Gunn

passthebiscuits

Everyone seems to be talking about Dede starting over Sears and Cope over Ross...but no one is mentioning that Marquis Gunn is starting and Groves will be coming off the bench.

Was this expected? Is Gunn better against the run and Groves more of a speed rusher?

Yea, that was a bit of an eye opener too. Probably because some of the publications have Groves touted as 2nd team all SEC and one of the top DEs in the conference. I think we all have assumed it would be Predator and Groves coming off the ends. Gunn has been solid his whole career so far and earned some good playing time his first year. They may like his overall game a little more.

All I know is, if he's playing better than QG, we've got some SERIOUS talent at that position. :cheer::au:

I may be wrong here, but, Isn't he a little "bigger" and thus may be more of a true strong side DE and "better" run stopper? :au:

I gotta say that after reading the article on al.com that I was MUCH more surprised at the Gunn over Groves development than I was the Dede over Sears. Makes me salivate thinking about ALL these guys chasing Reggie Ball all day this Saturday!!!

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!

i went to school with Gunn, dude is a hoss.. i wouldn't worry about him. He is a bit bigger than Groves and I feel that's why they are using him first because of the run stop that he provides. Besides.. i think by starting Gunn they are preventing Reggie Ball from having a mental breakdown because that's exactly what would happen to me if i looked over the defense and saw Stanley and Quentin on either end of the line coming to get me!!! i'd probably pee my pants (hey everyone!! you're only cool if you pee your pants)

gunn is more of a run stuffer, and it's awful nice to keep a fresh set of legs to rush the passer. plus q has played weak and strongside so it makes a little more sense to me to hold out a utitlity guy that could sub on either side as opposed to a guy who has always played strong side. all three guys will play a lot.

They said in the scout reports after practice that Gunn had come along alot in practice while Grpves was nursing an injury. They also said that Groves would probably have equal playing time. I had a few classes with McClover before i graduated last may and he is a scary beast. :blink:

Y'all forgot the fact that they may be using Groves as a "plug-in" to give the others rest. That means a non-stop fast defensive line. Can you imagine that? We have one of the best depth at DE....

Gunn is a great player, just like Groves....no matter who is playing, they'll get the job done.

i went to school with Gunn, dude is a hoss.. i wouldn't worry about him. He is a bit bigger than Groves and I feel that's why they are using him first because of the run stop that he provides. Besides.. i think by starting Gunn they are preventing Reggie Ball from having a mental breakdown because that's exactly what would happen to me if i looked over the defense and saw Stanley and Quentin on either end of the line coming to get me!!! i'd probably pee my pants (hey everyone!! you're only cool if you pee your pants)

177233[/snapback]

Why would you not want the opposing team's QB to have a mental breakdown? I think I am confused!!

Personally, I hope Ball has quite a few mental breakdown's, and I think that anyone on our defense can do that to him.

I can't wait until September 3rd!!!!

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!!!

i think you misunderstood or i didn't do a good job of relaying my point.. i tihnk the mental breakdown i'm speaking of is of paralyzing proportions. if reggie ball looks up and sees stanley and quentin on the ends... his heart may actually start and i wouldn't wish that on anyone. i think what tuberville is doing by putting Gunn is, is actually called heart attack prevention.

I think it is ausome that we have those three quality DE, not to mention Chris Browder, who is 2" taller than the other 3. Our defensive front including the inside guys are deep and fast from top to bottom. Watch for Tez Doolittle to make an impact in a back up roll. We will be hearing the techsters chant Run, Reggie, Run!! before yelling touchdown. :)

Poor Tommy Tuberville...who hexed him by saying "May you be cursed with so much talent at linebacker, defensive end, defensive back, and running back that you will have trouble knowing who to start!"? :D

I think we should rush four. Stanley and Groves at the ends. And Jackson and Gunn at the tackles. It would be hard for Georgia Tech to move the ball with constant pressure from the outside and the run would be shut down by big T.J. and Gunn.

I think we should rush four. Stanley and Groves at the ends. And Jackson and Gunn at the tackles. It would be hard for Georgia Tech to move the ball with constant pressure from the outside and the run would be shut down by big T.J. and Gunn.

Coaches have said that they plan to have 'special' pass rush packages where they plug in 3 DEs. Which is basically what we had last year with Ratliff(a former DE) at DT.

Archived