*Official Auburn vs. Maryland Game Thread*

abw0004

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

can i remind everyone our team just blew through the flu?

You can.....but it isn't gonna make us feel any better. Unfortunately we seem to have a lot of mentally weak guys. Don't seem to face adversity very well. One bad break and heads start hanging and it spirals. Been that way for a good while and that mentality is hard to get away from when its become expected. I'm sure some of the guys were def tired, but there's much more than that to the overall vibe, especially on the sideline. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I don’t disagree that there’s not cause for concern. NMSU was a red flag, yes. However today, with players opting out and those remaining’s lack of motivation to get up for such a crappy bowl game is understandable. Like our bball loss to App State this year, this was similar. Maryland gets to say they beat an SEC team, therefore, their motivation was higher. 

This is a throwaway game, and I don’t think people need to be reading as much into it as they are. That said, we need a QB and new OC. 

I think you have some points. I'd argue this was a much needed game for momentum into next year and to avoid a losing season. It's the coaches job to motivate the team when it's hard to motivate them, not just when it's easy.

Edit: Maryland had 15 some odd opt outs including Tualia. We should have had the advantage talent wise.

But I do agree with your last sentence.

Edited by KansasTiger

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

can i remind everyone our team just blew through the flu?

It was an AUful performance. But, there were a few good reasons for Auburn to be "off" (at least below its overachieving level. Several players missed most of bowl practice due to flu (Thorne among them). A few players were saving themselves for their run at the draft. I'm not apoplectic at the performance. However, there are valid reasons for fans to be frustrated. Chief among them is that Auburn has begun setting records - for other teams. Allowing other teams their most points in a half. Being the first SEC team to concede losses. Bowls for us now are veritable automatic losses. Not much different from the season for the last decade, but Auburn can be credited by taking more announcers and fans by surprise with new and creative ways to look awful and amateurish, while only getting to meaningful post-season via "miracles" or "prayers" instead of skill and dominance. In the defeatist fashion: "It is what it is." Someone said, 'all we ever have is hope.' That's about it.

• Like 2

Just now, KansasTiger said:

That my point. To use that as a blanket excuse is nebulous. If this was a one off, I might buy it. But we've seen this team ill prepared and lethargic in multiple games where they can't lean on the flu excuse. 

i am a geezer but i can tell you for a fact it is rough. so we shall agree i am right.

Just now, autiger88 said:

@KansasTiger you were right, it's just not in the nest yet 🤣

i'm not a target, but I may stay away from even looking at the nest passive aggression til, well, maybe ever. Really screwball. Anyway, ...

Happy Birthday!!! Hope you have something more celebratory than the Music city Transformer bowl loss.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AUx said:

It was an AUful performance. But, there were a few good reasons for Auburn to be "off" (at least below its overachieving level. Several players missed most of bowl practice due to flu (Thorne among them). A few players were saving themselves for their run at the draft. I'm not apoplectic at the performance. However, there are valid reasons for fans to be frustrated. Chief among them is that Auburn has begun setting records - for other teams. Allowing other teams their most points in a half. Being the first SEC team to concede losses. Bowls for us now are veritable automatic losses. Not much different from the season for the last decade, but Auburn can be credited by taking more announcers and fans by surprise with new and creative ways to look awful and amateurish, while only getting to meaningful post-season via "miracles" or "prayers" instead of skill and dominance. In the defeatist fashion: "It is what it is." Someone said, 'all we ever have is hope.' That's about it.

i am not  pleased with the game but i am not going to work myself into a frenzy over is my point in all of this. we are still rebuilding and sometimes there are hiccups. we will get it right but we were left a mess.

• Like 1

Just now, AUx said:

i'm not a target, but I may stay away from even looking at the nest passive aggression til, well, maybe ever. Really screwball. Anyway, ...

Happy Birthday!!! Hope you have something more celebratory than the Music city Transformer bowl loss.

Thank you and yeah me and the wife are going out to eat. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I hate how the game played out.  I don’t hate it for myself as an alum, but for our seniors with everything they have been through.

I believe Freeze still deserves time.  This season was never going to be a great season, no matter who the coach was.

Help is on the way.  Our recruiting is going to get us back on track, BUT remember those guys are only 17-19 years old.  They will need time to develop.

Lastly, I am still incredibly proud to be an Auburn Tiger.  War Damn.  

It takes a little time to change the “culture” maybe. I hope so.

Getting college football players “up” for their rivals seems easier than getting the same group to play intense and prepared for lesser teams . Hoping that for AU’s sake that can start changing right now.

Edited by au701948
Left out part of my sentence

38 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Ronnie Brown from the sideline confirms what we saw.

Team unmotivated, basically just wanted to get the game over with.

no focus , no desire, no pride just there.

That's a problem for any coach.  I'll trust the highly-rated prospects' opinion of CHF over some of these non-motivated leftovers. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I don’t disagree that there’s not cause for concern. NMSU was a red flag, yes. However today, with players opting out and those remaining’s lack of motivation to get up for such a crappy bowl game is understandable. Like our bball loss to App State this year, this was similar. Maryland gets to say they beat an SEC team, therefore, their motivation was higher. 

This is a throwaway game, and I don’t think people need to be reading as much into it as they are. That said, we need a QB and new OC. 

If we are to be a top tier football program there is no such thing as a throwaway game.  Maybe we'll never be top tier again.  Right now that's the way I'm leaning.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tinman1 said:

If we are to be a top tier football program there is no such thing as a throwaway game.  Maybe we'll never be top tier again.  Right now that's the way I'm leaning.

Enjoy being miserable I guess 🤷‍♂️  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I can’t defend today.  The team wasn’t prepared to play AT ALL. That’s on the coaching staff.  The O line was horrible as they have been several times this year.  The D backfield might need to be cut a little slack because of the opt outs.  The the terrible pick 6 was on the QB but he was getting the hell beat out of him because of the lack of blocking.  Running backs couldn’t get back to the line of scrimmage without getting the hell knocked out of them.  O line again.  Two fumbles by the special teams is inexcusable.  Just a pitiful, pitiful performance.  Right up there with NMSU.  Inexcusable for an Auburn football team.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, au701948 said:

It takes a little time to change the “culture” maybe. I hope so.

Getting college football players “up” for their rivals seems easier than getting the same group to play intense and prepared. Hoping that for AU’s sake that can start changing right now.

Ronnie Brown said this new culture, nil, portal mess is making it very difficult. Auburn has to find out who really wants to be at Auburn and love it, play for it and not just what can I get from Auburn before going somewhere else.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, passthebiscuits said:

Hank Brown's 2 drives resulted in more passing yards than 7 of 13 Thorne's starts. 

thoughts?

Soft defense . That will be the go to. With that being said he actually looks like a QB, scans the field and his pass was perfect in stride. Even if PT has 10 seconds to pass, I hold my breath. Not going to overreact and say he should start. Just will say Hugh is a fool if he settles with just PT next season. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, DAG said:

Soft defense . That will be the go to. With that being said he actually looks like a QB, scans the field and his pass was perfect in stride. Even if PT has 10 seconds to pass, I hold my breath. Not going to overreact and say he should start. Just will say Hugh is a fool if he settles with just PT next season. 

Nailed it 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Hank Brown's 2 drives resulted in more passing yards than 7 of 13 Thorne's starts. 

thoughts?

My thoughts... Hugh will name PT starter.  He already has. Brown has a confident look in the pocket.  He looks the part. PT looks lost. Indecisive.  It's sad but the best throw of the year for us was Browns bomb to Burton

10 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

thoughts?

Thornes not a very good QB. Hank Brown may or may not be.

52 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

thoughts?

It’s a small sample size during trash time but I liked what I saw.  

Geriner hasn’t gotten much of a shot but also hasn’t taken advantage of the snaps he has played.  

Running the scout team might have been the best prep all season. 

Edited by NCAubs

2 hours ago, weagl1 said:

I can’t defend today.  The team wasn’t prepared to play AT ALL. That’s on the coaching staff.  The O line was horrible as they have been several times this year.  The D backfield might need to be cut a little slack because of the opt outs.  The the terrible pick 6 was on the QB but he was getting the hell beat out of him because of the lack of blocking.  Running backs couldn’t get back to the line of scrimmage without getting the hell knocked out of them.  O line again.  Two fumbles by the special teams is inexcusable.  Just a pitiful, pitiful performance.  Right up there with NMSU.  Inexcusable for an Auburn football team.  

The QB got the hell knocked out of him a couple of times due to his own bad reads. 

2 hours ago, tinman1 said:

With the current state of the new semi pro league, only the rich and top tier teams will play for championships.

the players run the programs now, no loyalty, no school pride, just what can I get or I’ll go somewhere else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

My thoughts... Hugh will name PT starter.  He already has. Brown has a confident look in the pocket.  He looks the part. PT looks lost. Indecisive.  It's sad but the best throw of the year for us was Browns bomb to Burton

He already has named PT the starter. But, I do believe there has to be real competition this Spring and Fall.

PT may be the starter, QB2 may takeover afterward. As long as we no longer try playing the QB1/QB2 round robin next Fall.

16 minutes ago, au701948 said:

He already has named PT the starter.

After the game, Thorne was overheard saying to Freeze, "no takebacks." Freeze said "you're right, those are the rules" and then looked even more tired than usual.