Softball 2024 season

I wasn't that excited when KK transferred from UT, based on her numbers up there. She has changed my mind with her performance, and I am now highly excited she is coming back.
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Assuming no transfers, we will return everyone in the field except for Packer. I think all of our players have the potential to breakout depending on our next coaching hire. We also have two strong freshman batters coming into the program in Annalea Adams and Jolie Adams. 

The question mark will definitely be in the circle. We will need Widra, Rolfe, Tamborra, and Godfrey to take a step forward next year. It seems a pitch by committee approach will be needed unless we get an ace transfer. 

Edited by Jad0003
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/10/2024 at 1:28 PM, Jad0003 said:

Assuming no transfers, we will return everyone in the field except for Packer. I think all of our players have the potential to breakout depending on our next coaching hire. We also have two strong freshman batters coming into the program in Annalea Adams and Jolie Adams. 

The question mark will definitely be in the circle. We will need Widra, Rolfe, Tamborra, and Godfrey to take a step forward next year. It seems a pitch by committee approach will be needed unless we get an ace transfer. 

I wonder if Abbey Smith, Riley McNemar and the others that graduated early are going to transfer. We need transfers. I hope we have some hit the portal. Not saying they don’t have the potential but the portal will have so many better options. 

23 hours ago, Big Fat Barner said:

I wonder if Abbey Smith, Riley McNemar and the others that graduated early are going to transfer. We need transfers. I hope we have some hit the portal. Not saying they don’t have the potential but the portal will have so many better options. 

We're going to need some help, particularly in the pitching staff and we will need to somehow replace the good hitters that left in the past off-season. Dean should have been removed at least one year sooner.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We're going to need some help, particularly in the pitching staff and we will need to somehow replace the good hitters that left in the past off-season. Dean should have been removed at least one year sooner.

Dean should’ve been let go the year we were eliminated by UCF and Kennesaw State. I really hope Cohen doesn’t promote Carosone, but I’m like 90% sure he is going too. I think we need to revisit Steve Singleton, the hitting coach from Texas. They’re having an unbelievable season, pretty much everyone has taken a step up from last year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big Fat Barner said:

Dean should’ve been let go the year we were eliminated by UCF and Kennesaw State. I really hope Cohen doesn’t promote Carosone, but I’m like 90% sure he is going too. I think we need to revisit Steve Singleton, the hitting coach from Texas. They’re having an unbelievable season, pretty much everyone has taken a step up from last year. 

The war chest I was informed of eclipses what Dean makes and gets into the Mike White stratosphere. It will be somebody proven, likely coaches in OKC every year...No promos from within. This is a 2-way street...We have to pursue and they have to be willing to leave a program that they've molded into a successful, perennial competitor nationally, including their incoming recruits. NLIs can be broken, existing players can be excused unofficially (ref Trisha Ford and Mike White) to make room for players/recruits from their previous programs. This is about to be very exciting for the fan base, but brutal on the players that stick around. 

• Love 3

I wonder if Abbey Smith, Riley McNemar and the others that graduated early are going to transfer. We need transfers. I hope we have some hit the portal. Not saying they don’t have the potential but my God the portal will have so many better options. 

Portal activity is about to go through the roof.

• Like 1

You are must likely right about Emily getting promoted. In my opinion I sure hope AD Cohen uses in brain and picks the right coach for the job, because this team has some major problems that need fixing. 

4 minutes ago, RedDirtFan said:

The war chest I was informed of eclipses what Dean makes and gets into the Mike White stratosphere. It will be somebody proven, likely coaches in OKC every year...No promos from within. This is a 2-way street...We have to pursue and they have to be willing to leave a program that they've molded into a successful, perennial competitor nationally, including their incoming recruits. NLIs can be broken, existing players can be excused unofficially (ref Trisha Ford and Mike White) to make room for players/recruits from their previous programs. This is about to be very exciting for the fan base, but brutal on the players that stick around. 

You make a really good point

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

We have Annie comin back as our Ace, Emma, and Alayna, so we've got a good start on a bullpen. I think we're finally done with Super Seniors in the portal, so next year will be a big reset in the league.

I don't think anyone argues that Dean drove this program into the ground. Mickey is a great guy, outside of the program. Anybody that believes he's the saint that he's being portrayed as on the broadcasts should take a long look at the exchange between him and Shelby in between HR's on Wednesday night. I feel for his health and wish him a quick recovery.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2024 at 12:04 AM, Big Fat Barner said:

KK McCrary announced on TikTok that she would be coming back for her 5th year. 

She might be willing, but this is a 2-way street. KK can have the desire to return, but the next coach doesn't have to offer her another year. She could work something out with Cohen, assessing a roster spot tax and potentially scholarship implications, handcuffing the new HC. I think Cohen is smarter then to make decisions for a coach that hasn't even been spoken to yet. If she doesn't work it out with Cohen, the new HC will decide if he wants to offer her a spot. It's not her decision...we've had 5th years over the past 2 years that were willing and eligible to come back. Aspyn was declined, then later offered a spot. Lindsay and Carlee said they would return, but were not offered. I suspect KK will be in the second category as the new HC starts with a new slate and brings in her squad.

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, RedDirtFan said:

I hope you’re right, but I’m almost certain Cohen will do the lazy thing and promote Carosone. Some of the players that are around now seem to not care at all, I would most definitely not be opposed to fueling up on transfers, but I do hope some of the players are offered a chance to return. Amelia, Icess, Anna, Widra, KK and Nelia have the potential to be a great senior class, they just need to want to win. Just want to be good again!!!

Edited by Big Fat Barner
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Big Fat Barner said:

I hope you’re right, but I’m almost certain Cohen will do the lazy thing and promote Carosone. Some of the players that are around now seem to not care at all, I would most definitely not be opposed to fueling up on transfers, but I do hope some of the players are offered a chance to return. Amelia, Icess, Anna, Widra, KK and Nelia have the potential to be a great senior class, they just need to want to win. Just want to be good again!!!

Same...but you hit on a key point: The players have to truly want it, not just say it or go through the motions with the new HC. Whether they like it or not, they've been auditioning for their next job since Deanb's retirement announcement. There won't be an opportunity to show that you want it now. The die has been cast.

• Love 1

5 hours ago, RedDirtFan said:

I’m not sure what coaches are willing to leave their programs, especially with the credentials you reference. The one name I’ve seen referenced towards Auburn years ago with the credentials you speak of is Alameda at FSU. It’d be a huge move if Cohen could make it happen, and I know we’d all be happy with the results. I’m not getting my hopes up though. 

17 hours ago, RedDirtFan said:

Mike White, last numbers I saw, makes in the range of $625,000.  Patty Gasso is reported north of $1.5 million. Recent article from Montgomery Advertiser regarding SEC softball coaches salaries as a point of reference.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/softball/2024/05/07/sec-softball-highest-paid-coaches-alabama-tennessee-texas-am-top-league-tim-walton-trisha-ford/73528199007/

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/11/2024 at 12:32 PM, RedDirtFan said:

I sure hope so! No time for a retread, or an internal promotion here. I've always thought it was foolish to promote from within when the program was failing, regardless of the sport. We need a complete reboot.

Edited by arktiger1975
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

I’m not sure what coaches are willing to leave their programs, especially with the credentials you reference. The one name I’ve seen referenced towards Auburn years ago with the credentials you speak of is Alameda at FSU. It’d be a huge move if Cohen could make it happen, and I know we’d all be happy with the results. I’m not getting my hopes up though. 

Gajewski is underpaid based upon his performance, his rivals in the sport just left for the SEC and he'd like to play against his former teammate & friend, Tim Walton. What about the former PAC12 coaches that will now spend their seasons flying from coast to coast, away from families, trying to recruit into that mess...there are some quality coaches in there.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RedDirtFan said:

What about the former PAC12 coaches that will now spend their seasons flying from coast to coast, away from families, trying to recruit into that mess...there are some quality coaches in there.

Excellent point. 

Softball is growing in fan interest.  Best to make a big time hire and build it!!  

It doesn't matter with a full turnover since the hosts are predetermined prior to playing the season due to crowd turnout. :: ahem Bama ::

• Like 2

Back in Tallahassee ... no imagination from NCAA. Oh and paired with OU again but I'm not concerned with that one yet 😆 

6 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

It doesn't matter with a full turnover since the hosts are predetermined prior to playing the season due to crowd turnout. :: ahem Bama

Ain't that the truth.  Unbelievable that they're hosting yet again with the season they had...and ahead of Texas A&M, no less.   On last year's selection show the hosts were gobsmacked that Bama got a top-eight seeding and were at a loss to explain it.  And their regional was by far the easiest to assure that Bama and Fouts would make it to OKC.  They were quickly exposed when they got to OKC but, IMO, get favored treatment again this year.

And how many times has Auburn been sent to Tallahassee...

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, arktiger1975 said:

I sure hope so! No time for a retread, or an internal promotion here. I've always thought it was foolish to promote from within when the program was failing, regardless of the sport. We need a complete reboot.

100%. And John Cohen did it at Mississippi State with Ricketts. So, pretty much assuming he’s gonna do it here as well. I don’t think he cares about softball. 

Edited by Big Fat Barner

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Softball is growing in fan interest.  Best to make a big time hire and build it!!  

It doesn't matter with a full turnover since the hosts are predetermined prior to playing the season due to crowd turnout. :: ahem Bama ::

bama gets the most favorable draw possible by the committee. All sports. Every... Single....Time. 

😡

Edited by arktiger1975

Just now, arktiger1975 said:

bama gets the most favorable draw by the committee. All sports. Every... Single....Time.

😡

And this ^^^^^ is why I’m the way I am about the turdz 

• Like 1