SEC tournament bracketology

10 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

FL lost last night to the worst team in thr SEC, 8 win Vandy.

For those oddly preferring our #4 draw vs UT, the SEC Tournament's in Tennessee.  

at least its not in K-town 

6 hours ago, aucat said:

at least its not in K-town 

No, but it will seem like Knoxville. The place will be full of UT orange.

Would love win a couple in the SEC tourney to go into the NCAA on some nice momentum.

3 minutes ago, fishepa said:

Would love win a couple in the SEC tourney to go into the NCAA on some nice momentum.

I agree, the momentum aspect is huge. I truly believe that winning the tournament in 2019 was the catalyst for our Final Four run. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

And KY Blue.

• Like 2

Tennessee basketball gets home court advantage every year in the SEC tourney, as Georgia football gets home field advantage whenever they make the SECCG.

• Thanks 1

While it's an advantage for Tennessee, it's not the same kind of advantage they have in Knoxville.  We can beat them. But first we have to get by South Carolina. (presumably)  If I was a betting man, my money would be on us and Kentucky in the final. 

Well, I wrote the above and I thought I would just look up the Vegas odds.  Several surprises to me:  Still no respect for SC and we are the second favorite ahead of Kentucky even after they knocked off Tennessee in Knoxville.

• +175: Tennessee
  • +240: Auburn
  • +400: Kentucky
  • +500: Alabama
  • +1600: Florida
  • +5000: South Carolina, Texas A&M, Mississippi State
  • +10000 to +25000 All other teams
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

While it's an advantage for Tennessee, it's not the same kind of advantage they have in Knoxville.  We can beat them. But first we have to get by South Carolina. (presumably)  If I was a betting man, my money would be on us and Kentucky in the final. 

Well, I wrote the above and I thought I would just look up the Vegas odds.  Several surprises to me:  Still no respect for SC and we are the second favorite ahead of Kentucky even after they knocked off Tennessee in Knoxville.

I believe Tennessee was on cruise control against KY as they already had the  Conference title wrapped up. Regarding Tennessee. Gonna have to find a way to stop Knecht.  My biggest fear for Auburn is they haven’t been able to close out any close games. It’s either a blowout or loss. The SEC tournament would be a great start to buck that trend

4 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

I would throw $10 on Arkansas for $1000

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WillMunny said:

Tennessee basketball gets home court advantage every year in the SEC tourney, as Georgia football gets home field advantage whenever they make the SECCG.

5 hours ago, tinman1 said:

And KY Blue.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

You all put way too little thought into the way the Auburn fans travel.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, e808 said:

My biggest fear for Auburn is they haven’t been able to close out any close games. It’s either a blowout or loss.

Yup have thought about this quite a bit and what concerns me most come NCAA Tourney time. We have little experience in close games. Baylor, at Appy St, at bammer and at TN were all within reach towards the end, but we withered away in crunch time. Huge concern.

Eerily similar to the 1999 season. Destroyed most everyone, which was awesome, but gained no tight game experience.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

I'm not sure why UT has such a huge home court advantage, the few games I watched this year that place was quiet as a mouse.

8 hours ago, Viper said:

Yup have thought about this quite a bit and what concerns me most come NCAA Tourney time. We have little experience in close games. Baylor, at Appy St, at bammer and at TN were all within reach towards the end, but we withered away in crunch time. Huge concern.

Eerily similar to the 1999 season. Destroyed most everyone, which was awesome, but gained no tight game experience.

SEC wasn't that strong top to bottom in 1999, it's way better now. So at the least we know we were tested in a much tougher conference this year.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AU Is Gold said:

I agree, they have been playing closer to their potential lately. Will they win it? Probably not. But as you said, a great value pick.

1 hour ago, keeperoftheplains said:

Guards

This.  My fear is that we will sustain another early exit becuase our guards go for a combined 8 points in a game.

1 hour ago, keeperoftheplains said:

Guards

How can you say that?!?

We have a Fr all SEC guard!

/s

• Haha 1

Denver Jones is on fire lately.  He's hit 59% of his 3's in the last 6 games, and is up to 42% on the year. If that continues, it ups our ceiling quite a bit.  

• Like 3

On 3/12/2024 at 8:30 AM, arktiger1975 said:

SEC wasn't that strong top to bottom in 1999, it's way better now. So at the least we know we were tested in a much tougher conference this year.

Absolutely, but the point remains, 1999 AU had zero experience in tight games. They couldn’t handle adversity after they out-talented their way through the 1st two rounds.

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

Absolutely, but the point remains, 1999 AU had zero experience in tight games. They couldn’t handle adversity after they out-talented their way through the 1st two rounds.

We did come from 20 down in Baton Rouge in the SEC opener that year.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, keeperoftheplains said:

Guards

Donaldson & Hollaway are most def concerns. They need to hit half their 3s for this team to make it past the Sweet 16.

On 3/11/2024 at 8:02 PM, AU Is Gold said:

Arky’s been on a scoring binge. I have a feeling that if they get through Vandy, they’ll take out USCe and us. Hope I’m wrong. I’d rather Vandy come through to Friday lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

AKA Chris Porter’s coming out party. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, arktiger1975 said:

3rd game of the SEC season. Point taken. Then at home, we beat LSU by 26.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Viper said:

3rd game of the SEC season. Point taken. Then at home, we beat LSU by 26.

Wasn't the Texas A & M game this year a one or two point game with 3 or 4 minutes to go?